Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser weapons.

Should we delete threads thats start with using lasers for private weapons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey I've noticed an increase in n00bs making threads on using lasers for defensive weapons. I think we should have 0 tolerances with this, and be added to the TOS. All threads should be deleted upon discovery. You could easily have people who want to make it an offensive weapon, and cloak it with questions about using for defensive weapons. IMO lasers should not be used as weapons period.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Morgan

Added to the TOS? Forgive my ignorance but what's TOS?

I happen to agree with the sentiment though. Lasers are not, and should not be offensive or defensive weapons of any sort, outside of the military, and that's not why I'm here.

I am here to build cool pointers and gadgets for me, and mine, to enjoy and progress to building other natty laser related projects. I don't ever consider the use outside of the confines of my own home, except for the enjoyment and education of others.

You have my backing Mr. TJ.

M
:)

Terms Of Service. Its the forums rules. If its listed, then threads can be deleted, and people banned without incident. It would also show our stance on the subject.

Edit: Poll added.

Last edited:

TTerbo

YES DELETE THEM.......
Its really annoying when a noob joins and sais he wants to know how he can pot mod his 5mW green into a laser weapon....and when they want a laser gun that could fit in a small housing.
it is really anoyying.
cheers

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I agree, it only opens the forum up to potential lawsuits and trouble allowing discussion like that. We are here for the advancement of the hobby and to share ideas, not to build weapons. I'd gladly have talk of enthusiast lasers as weapons in the same category as using lasers with drugs - thread immediately deleted and a warning giving, and second time instant ban.

More than that, we don't want this forum seen as a place where those kind of people are "harbored"... That could spell bad news.

I'm not a mod or a vet, but I really don't think LPF should be thought of in anyone's mind as place where kids go to find out how to get "lasers that hurt people on purpose".

It could end up being a hell of a liability.

On the other hand, talking about what the military is doing after linking to an article or something -- that's a different story. So if there is a moratorium on such discussions it should, I believe, be "by the spirit" not "by the letter". (Again, just my very humble opinion.) -- more along the lines of people coming in and asking how to make/acquire a laser for the sole purpose of harming others should not be encouraged.

Razako

Let's imagine that there's a pyro forum or a chemistry forum and some guy posts wanting to know how to make a bomb or poison gas or something. Do you think they'd tolerate it?

The one exception should be threads discussing military use by lasers. I'm really getting tired of ultra retarded threads about using lasers for self defense or as a weapon in general. The moment we open that door and classify lasers as a weapon they basically become guns without the second amendment rights.

Let's imagine that there's a pyro forum or a chemistry forum and some guy posts wanting to know how to make a bomb or poison gas or something. Do you think they'd tolerate it?

A repeated problem I've seen is that hobbies tend to get the reputation in their entirety as nothing but their worst elements.

Gun collectors have to carry the baggage of the few crazies who make the news. Motorheads have to deal with the impressions given by illegal drag racers. Whenever I put up my ham radio antennas at a new place, I get a neighbor up in arms that it will 'interfere with his TV'. (it won't.)

I think we have to be seen as being really not for this stuff. I'd rather read, "The kid who blinded five people tried to join a laser community where he was chided about wanting to use lasers for dangerous purposes" rather than, "He was assisted by a forum where people go to talk about using lasers to burn or blind others."

Media can do a real number on things that they don't understand. It's better to not feed them.

Lumify

We have to treat discussions about using lasers as weapons the same as we would treat discussions about using guns as weapons. Nobody really seems to be too upset when people discuss using guns as weapons, but when "laser" and "weapon" are used in the same sentence, they get flamed. Of course, nobody would tell noobs the best places to shoot someone if they had a gun.

I equate a laser's destructive capability to a gun's. If that is so irresponsible, then ban me. :na:

edit-I have no problem chiding and beating laser safety into those people's heads, but censorship won't solve anything.

Last edited:
Guns are created as weapons, lasers are not. Yes you can use lasers for weapons, but you cant use a gun to point at the stars. D'uh!

Lumify

@TTerbo I saw that thread. The weird thing about that thread is that everyone seemed supportive of his decision to use the laser in self defense. There was one guy who thought otherwise, and he was flamed to death. Now the situation is the opposite. :thinking:

@Tech Junkie I don't think it really matters what they were originally intended for. I sort of doubt guns were originally created to kill humans. You could point at the sky using a machine gun with tracer rounds I guess. :tinfoil:

I think lasers would make great replacements for guns. Before you hate me, listen to my reasoning. If lasers eventually replaced today's guns, then people who would otherwise be killed by someone using a gun would just be blinded. Of course, the penalty for blinding someone would (or should...) be the same as for killing someone. Lasers are more efficient mutilators, but eventually they may not be. Realistically, there is no way to stop the evolution of weapons anyway.

Razako

@TTerbo I saw that thread. The weird thing about that thread is that everyone seemed supportive of his decision to use the laser in self defense. There was one guy who thought otherwise, and he was flamed to death. Now the situation is the opposite. :thinking:

@Tech Junkie I don't think it really matters what they were originally intended for. I sort of doubt guns were originally created to kill humans. You could point at the sky using a machine gun with tracer rounds I guess. :tinfoil:

I think lasers would make great replacements for guns. Before you hate me, listen to my reasoning. If lasers eventually replaced today's guns, then people who would otherwise be killed by someone using a gun would just be blinded. Of course, the penalty for blinding someone would (or should...) be the same as for killing someone. Lasers are more efficient mutilators, but eventually they may not be. Realistically, there is no way to stop the evolution of weapons anyway.
Lasers don't actually permanently blind people in the way you'd think. It's not like everything just goes dark or something. At first they'd be flashblinded and then they'd have some dark spots in their vision. Of course at higher powers the damage gets far greater. If you went too high something might actually "pop" in the eye and cause permanent blindness. I don't know all the specifics.

Lumify

Lasers don't actually permanently blind people in the way you'd think. It's not like everything just goes dark or something. At first they'd be flashblinded and then they'd have some dark spots in their vision. Of course at higher powers the damage gets far greater. If you went too high something might actually "pop" in the eye and cause permanent blindness. I don't know all the specifics.

Thank God I don't know what it's like to be permanently blinded by a laser! I was sort of imagining the cheap multi-kilowatt lasers with ~0 divergence we'll be seeing in 10 years or so. I'm sure lasers will eventually replace guns (if we don't all die in 2012). :angel:

Cheech

Guns are created as weapons, lasers are not. Yes you can use lasers for weapons, but you cant use a gun to point at the stars. D'uh!

I think we should discuss any aspect of lasers on this forum.
The laser anti-mosquito death ray system is a weapon so would that be banned
But if it gets out of hand it should be put to poll for deletion. Just having one person deciding whether or not to ban a thread is kinda fuct.

edit: any post that directly asks/states to use a laser to effect a person or domesticated animal should be cut IMO.

Last edited:
You guys are getting way off topic.

The question was should we allow threads to be created that ask how lasers can be used for personal weapons. We are not talking about the military, guns, or bug killers. We are talking about people using lasers as weapon against other people. I know its hard, but please stay on topic.

And for the record, I did not like that 8x saved my ass thread. But at the time, me and sarge was were in a small battle, and I had to stay out of it.