Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Sight for Nerf Nemesis

Bacon

Where did you find that link?

go.skimresources.com/?id=80880X1532175&xs=1&isjs=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F532nm-5mW-Brass-Green-Laser-DOT-Diode-Module-w-Driver-For-DIY-Laser-Torch%2F132102891783%3FssPageName%3DSTRK%253AMEBIDX%253AIT%26_trksid%3Dp2057872.m2749.l2649&xguid=c5a1cc374b850c6356a0884b5da7482f&xuuid=2c8fbfe47bf6862295b3f6c86e276e90&xsessid=ceb641f3649fd3fb034151725908c413&xcreo=0&xed=0&sref=https%3A%2F%2Flaserpointerforums.com%2Ff44%2Flaser-sight-nerf-nemesis-103375.html&pref=https%3A%2F%2Flaserpointerforums.com%2F&xtz=300&jv=13.9.2&bv=2.5.1

Last edited:
Where did you find that link?

go.skimresources.com/?id=80880X1532175&xs=1&isjs=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F532nm-5mW-Brass-Green-Laser-DOT-Diode-Module-w-Driver-For-DIY-Laser-Torch%2F132102891783%3FssPageName%3DSTRK%253AMEBIDX%253AIT%26_trksid%3Dp2057872.m2749.l2649&xguid=c5a1cc374b850c6356a0884b5da7482f&xuuid=2c8fbfe47bf6862295b3f6c86e276e90&xsessid=ceb641f3649fd3fb034151725908c413&xcreo=0&xed=0&sref=https%3A%2F%2Flaserpointerforums.com%2Ff44%2Flaser-sight-nerf-nemesis-103375.html&pref=https%3A%2F%2Flaserpointerforums.com%2F&xtz=300&jv=13.9.2&bv=2.5.1
Bacon,

I just copied it off the address bar.

Encap

Two 1.5 volt batteries.

or 1 X 3.7 volt Li ion rechargeable according to the spec.--rockrude can choose the size and the mAh rating according to his envisioned end use needs --any of them from the smallest to largest will work.

steve001,

Is this a decent laser?

TIA,

rocknrude

Decent meaning what, exactly?
Decent is a relative term, decent compared to what?

Is it OK for a low end, low cost, mass produced Chinese 5mW laser module selling for a retail price of $8.89 including shipping to your door from China?

Yes, if it works at all would be my answer. What do you expect for not much more than a good cup of coffee in 2018?

Last edited:
If you want a weapon laser sight then I would
suggest buying an off the shelf Laser Sight.
They have self contained drivers and battery
compartments and are small.
I've seen some at BangGood...

BTW... Double posting in a short time is frowned
upon by the Forum community. It is east to edit
and add to your posts by using the [EDIT] button
at the bottom right of any of your posts...:)

Jerry

If you're willing to spend the extra $$$, get an actual laser sight like laserbee suggested. But, since it's just a Nerf blaster, if you're on a tighter budget then the one you've linked should be good enough. I've bought dozens of cheap green laser pointers from eBay that all use this module (or something similar), and I've never had one that was DOA, though the power levels can vary wildly. If you're not dead set on a green laser, go with a red one instead (don't get blue or violet, they're almost always >5mW and are harder to see). 532nm lasers like the one you've linked aren't diode lasers, they're DPSS, which means there are temperature sensitive crystals inside. If you leave it on for more than a few seconds at a time it will start to noticeably dim.

Also just a word of warning:
Lasers from eBay and other sketchy websites are almost always >5mW, so if you plan on actually pointing this thing at people, you should get something that is certified to be <5mW. This will cost quite a bit more, but you can't put a price on eyesight. There's also the fact that cheap 532nm modules leak IR, which is invisible, but can still damage your eyes.

Last edited:

Encap

Also just a word of warning:
Lasers from eBay and other sketchy websites are almost always >5mW, so if you plan of actually pointing this thing at people, you should get something that is certified to be <5mW. This will cost quite a bit more, but you can't put a price on eyesight. There's also the fact that cheap 532nm modules leak IR, which is invisible, but can still damage your eyes.

rocknrude --- The above is extremely important---you need to be 100% certain about 5mW or less and emits no IR meaning any IR is filtered out if this toy is going to be pointed at people who are not wearing laser goggles/glasses and there is a possibility of hitting people in the eyes with your "laser sight", the only way to do that is to test each and every unit on a Laser Power Meter.

Keep in mind also the even 5 mW or less can cause eye damage and for that matter so can 1mW.

"The hazard distances listed below are intended only as general guidance. This is because 1) your laser may vary from the parameters (power, divergence) listed below, and 2) information on labels or marketing materials may not always be correct. For example, studies have shown that some laser pointers may be falsely labeled to avoid regulations -- the actual power may be 10 times or more what the label indicates.
Always err on the side of safety. If your laser has not been measured by a knowledgeable and trained Laser Safety Officer, assume it is more hazardous than the label or marketing materials would indicate."

Class 3 is a certified less than 5mW of visible wavelength only laser---no IR and here is the risk:
EYE INJURY HAZARD -- DIRECT AND REFLECTED BEAM
Class 3R visible-light lasers are considered safe for unintentional eye exposure, because a person will normally turn away or blink to avoid the bright light. Do NOT deliberately look into or stare into the beam -- this can cause injury to the retina in the back of the eye.

Be aware of beam reflections off glass and shiny surfaces. Depending on the surface, the reflected beam could be about as strong and as focused as a direct beam.
The Nominal Ocular Hazard Distance (NOHD) for the most powerful Class 3R visible-beam laser (4.99 mW) with a tight beam (0.5 milliradian divergence) is 104 ft (32 m).

Even Class 2 less than 1mW laser of visible wavelength only , no IR output ---can damage eyes
"EYE INJURY HAZARD -- DIRECT AND REFLECTED BEAM
Class 2 visible-light lasers are considered safe for unintentional eye exposure, because a person will normally turn away or blink to avoid the bright light. Do NOT deliberately stare into the beam -- this can cause injury to the retina in the back of the eye.

Be aware of beam reflections off glass and shiny surfaces. Depending on the surface, the reflected beam could be about as strong and as focused as a direct beam.
The Nominal Ocular Hazard Distance (NOHD) for the most powerful Class 2 laser (0.99 mW) with a tight beam (0.5 milliradian divergence) is 46 ft (14 m)"

See: Safety of Class 2 visible-beam lasers
and
Safety of Class 3R visible-beam lasers
and
http://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/Spreadsheet---laser-classes.pdf

A good chart of Laser Hazards can be found here: http://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png

You would be much better off, meaning creating something with less risk of damaging someone eyes, with a Class 2 1mW or less than with a Class 3, 5mW or less laser .

Either way unless the "toy" you are creating complies with FDA rules and regulations" you are in violation of US Laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to lasers . If you don't know what you are doing you are an "accident looking for a place to happen" if your Nerf toy with a laser sight is going to be pointed at or around other people who are not wearing laser safety glasses or goggles.
You will be personally liable for any accidental damage your laser sighted toy does and additionally subject to punishment for violation of FDA laws, rules, and regulations.
See: https://www.fda.gov/downloads/MedicalDevices/DeviceRegulationandGuidance/GuidanceDocuments/UCM363731.pdf
and
https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emittingproducts/radiationemittingproductsandprocedures/homebusinessandentertainment/laserproductsandinstruments/default.htm

If your "Nerf toy w. laser sight" involves use by children/minors meaning individuals under 18 years old forget about making it altogether.
If you want to see people. meaning adults with real capabilities and resources to hunt you down like a dog, get extremely angry and aggressive very fast/very quickly make and distribute something that points laser beams of any output at/into children's eyes. Common sense should tell you that. :crackup:

My advice is forget a laser sight on a Nerf gun toy to illuminate a target if you want to avoid the possibility of serious problems and trouble being you know little, if anything, about lasers, the safe use of same, and the FDA laws, rules and regulations pertaining to lasers. Know that what flies in China does not necessarily fly in the USA---so buying from lasers China ignores all USA laws, rules, and regulations, generally speaking.

Last edited:
I have this laser sight from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Pinty-Huntin...sr=8-2-spons&keywords=green+laser+sight&psc=1

I have it mounted on one of my .177 pellet rifles for unwanted rodents around my chicken and quail pens. It measures dead-on 5mW on my Laserbee AX. Even at only 5mW, the dot is clearly visable in daylight up to 100 feet away against a shadowed surface, more than enough for my needs. Once I got it sighted in for about 40-50 feet,you can shoot from the hip and the pellet will hit where the dot is. Not bad for $20.

All of these 532nm modules have drivers with a pot on them for adjusting the pump current. You can adjust them yourself for the lowest output possible by turning the pot CW, IIRC. It has been awhile since the last time I adjusted one of these. The amount of IR leaking out is a fraction of the visible light, so if the visible light is eye safe, the IR must be as well.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
The amount of IR leaking out is a fraction of the visible light, so if the visible light is eye safe, the IR must be as well.

The amount of IR leaking out is usually a fraction of the visible light. A very important distinction. I've met several 532 pointers that had a whole order of magnitude more IR coming out the business end than green light.

What about red? Try working one of these into that nerf gun:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-650n...581373&hash=item58cbba7ee9:g:7-UAAOSwAJRbQIk~

They're under 5mW, tiny, and dirt cheap. I ordered 50 for an art project and they all seem to be pretty darn well matched

Last edited:
Of these type modules with drivers I have bought many and none had IR more than 20% of the visible light. They seem to come from basically the same place. They cheapest ones have a 500 mW pump diode and the high powered ones have a 2 watt pump diode. But, since you can adjust the pump current, one can get out from the minimum pump power up to over the rated pump power for the diode. I have never seen a 532nm that had an IR component equal to or greater than the visible component. Who makes these? Is it someone's home made laser?

As someone who shoots long range precision rifles, hunting rifles, competes with pistols, has several CO2 pellet and BB guns, and multiple Airsoft guns; many of which have optics of all types including holographic sites, red dot sites, in addition to laser on some I have to say I can see no reason to do anything except go to Banggood, Amazon, or a similar online site and get a laser there. Not sure what type of rail the Nerf gun has and you may need to figure out how to attach a rail to it. It does look like there is a rail on the top, but if you want to keep the plastic "iron sights" you might also want to get some risers to elevate the laser. My pistols all have rails on the bottom which is the normal place to mount a laser so I would just probably attach a rail to the bottom and mount it there. Even if you try and cluge some type of laser like you linked to you will have to come up with some type of mounting system.

The thing about sights on a weapon is you have to zero them at a certain distance and then make sure the mounting system is solid or they will quickly go out of zero. This is one example I came up with on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/CISNO-Housin...2&sr=8-3&keywords=laser+sight+pressure+switch

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Of these type modules with drivers I have bought many and none had IR more than 20% of the visible light. They seem to come from basically the same place. They cheapest ones have a 500 mW pump diode and the high powered ones have a 2 watt pump diode. But, since you can adjust the pump current, one can get out from the minimum pump power up to over the rated pump power for the diode. I have never seen a 532nm that had an IR component equal to or greater than the visible component. Who makes these? Is it someone's home made laser?

One of my very first green pointers (I think it was a CNI product) made a very nice green dot that was around 4 or 5 mW of green light but put out enough 1064 to light matches :wtf:

Things have gotten better as the manufacturers got more practice growing crystals and bonded MCAs have helped a lot too but I'll never trust a DPSS green that doesn't have an IR filter after the OC.

As someone who shoots long range precision rifles, hunting rifles, competes with pistols, has several CO2 pellet and BB guns, and multiple Airsoft guns; many of which have optics of all types including holographic sites, red dot sites, in addition to laser on some I have to say I can see no reason to do anything except go to Banggood, Amazon, or a similar online site and get a laser there. Not sure what type of rail the Nerf gun has and you may need to figure out how to attach a rail to it. It does look like there is a rail on the top, but if you want to keep the plastic "iron sights" you might also want to get some risers to elevate the laser. My pistols all have rails on the bottom which is the normal place to mount a laser so I would just probably attach a rail to the bottom and mount it there. Even if you try and cluge some type of laser like you linked to you will have to come up with some type of mounting system.

The thing about sights on a weapon is you have to zero them at a certain distance and then make sure the mounting system is solid or they will quickly go out of zero. This is one example I came up with on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/CISNO-Housin...2&sr=8-3&keywords=laser+sight+pressure+switch

Very true. The one I got had the same rail mount as the one linked above. It did how ever come with a clamp style adapter to fit round barrels and then attach the rail mount to.

I have an oddball Czek air rifle with no rail at all. I used parts of the clamp mount with the rail mount on it with some PVC pipe I split to fit around the barrel then secure it under the barrel. Once secured, I sighted it in for about 40-50 feet, and it has remained good for several months now.

Yea, it's a cluge, but it works for me. Then again, I am not a competition shooter, just a back yard plinker:)

Attachments

• laser-sight2.JPG
    laser-sight2.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 10