Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Laser Sight for Nerf Nemesis

paul1598419

One of my very first green pointers (I think it was a CNI product) made a very nice green dot that was around 4 or 5 mW of green light but put out enough 1064 to light matches :wtf:

Things have gotten better as the manufacturers got more practice growing crystals and bonded MCAs have helped a lot too but I'll never trust a DPSS green that doesn't have an IR filter after the OC.
It must have had a major misalignment of the orthovanadate crystal. I don't think you can get them separate in the newer modules today. If I were to come across an old 532nm laser, I would most certainly check the IR content. I am curious how you were able to measure the 4 to 5 mW of green light and not get the IR component swamping it out.
:undecided:

H2Oxide

It must have had a major misalignment of the orthovanadate crystal. I don't think you can get them separate in the newer modules today. If I were to come across an old 532nm laser, I would most certainly check the IR content. I am curious how you were able to measure the 4 to 5 mW of green light and not get the IR component swamping it out.
:undecided:
My guess would be an off-axis nonlinear crystal. If it was leaking 1064, the orthovanadate alignment would have been fine.

paul1598419

Good point. The othrovanadate is the source of the 1064nm line. But, unless it was checked with a spectrometer, it could have been leaking 808nm IR. In any case, having more IR than visible light, it must have been poorly aligned to some extent.

Last edited:
A better option with zero risks of eye injury from a laser beam would be a "red dot scope", They can be had these days for around $35 dollars...

A better option with zero risks of eye injury from a laser beam would be a "red dot scope", They can be had these days for around $35 dollars...

There are tons of red dot sights cheaper than that. The Daisy Electronic Point Sight goes for around $US10 and there are knock offs on the sites in China for even less.

The thing is using a red dot sight is not the same as using a laser sight. Not saying one is better than the other, just that the training for them is different. One big advantage of a laser sight is you can shoot from the hip while with a red dot sight is you have to raise the weapon to eye level.