Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Setup in a Star Trek Dolphin Phaser Prop

Spezialemic

Hey guys! So I’m thinking about installing a laser into a phaser prop I’m building, but I’m not really sure how to do it or if there is enough space.

the prop is resin, so heat is an issue. Prop electronics run on a 3.7v 2000mAh LiPo, with an LED wired in (though I have to find out what the LED output is from the board) I was considering wiring right to where the led is if there’s enough power, but I doubt it. I want a 445nm somewhat daytime visible beam at the highest possible wattage, but I’m not sure what drivers or lenses I would need, given my battery situation.

ive attached images of the available space in the build.

the cowling piece with the emitter is empty and can be fitted with parts, but idk if I have space in the grip for a driver, and I definitely don’t in the front.

anyone have any ideas?

thanks ahead of time!

Attachments

• 745904F7-3478-448F-8ED9-99D92CA33C21.jpeg
    745904F7-3478-448F-8ED9-99D92CA33C21.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 18

kecked

If you want a more visible beam use green. A compromise might be the 488nm diodes. Less power but more brightness in my opinion and closer to the original color used.

Spezialemic

If you want a more visible beam use green. A compromise might be the 488nm diodes. Less power but more brightness in my opinion and closer to the original color used.
Will I still need a driver you think?

gazer101

You will need at least a resistor in series with the LD to limit the current going into it. But it is better to use something like an LM317 switching voltage regulator or better yet use a premade buck converter

Snecho

Cleanout out absolutely everything and install a module with laser diode wired to a driver and li-ion batteries.

But the real person to ask is user @GSS. He has an entire collection of modded phasers that he's done.

Spezialemic

Cleanout out absolutely everything and install a module with laser diode wired to a driver and li-ion batteries.

But the real person to ask is user @GSS. He has an entire collection of modded phasers that he's done.

The only problem is that if I clean everything out, I lose the chip with the setting lights

Spezialemic

Can you elaborate what you mean by that?
The grip houses a 3.7V LiPo and some silicon that supplies the buttons and the LED indicators on the top. If I empty the body for only the components of the laser then I’ll lose that functionality.

Spezialemic

I’m wondering if I could just stick a 1W diode in the aluminum emitter, using it as a heat sink, and wire that up with a resistor, pot, capacitor, regulator etc all in the forehead area. If there’s enough space, I just need to figure out how that best to connect it to the trigger function.

Snecho

The grip houses a 3.7V LiPo and some silicon that supplies the buttons and the LED indicators on the top. If I empty the body for only the components of the laser then I’ll lose that functionality.
It's a give and take. Again, I would send @GSS a PM as he has done this many times before.

Also, please don't double post.