Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser scan gun

Hey folks I picked this up from a customer today who has about 200 of them that they are looking to part with for a small price. I was wondering if the LD inside would be good for a high power laser build. here are some pictures of the gun. I have the unit dissasembled and looking at a 3 lead diode now to figure out how to remove it from it's Big heatsink Block.
001-4.jpg

005-3.jpg

Doom

What is the Model Number and Part Number of that scanner...
can't tell by the photo....:thinking:
Is it connected by USB or RS232 or PS2...:thinking:

Jerry

Hook up to the gun is a cat 5 type connection to the computer unit is like an 8pin round din
here is the info on the gun 4.5-14V 0.5A Part number LS3408-ER20005R Symbol ER model. sticker says it's a class 2 laser, but I guess thats what it's set at

Doom

In the 80's I used to make the HeNe's that Symbol used to put in their scanners, I don't imagine the diode is more than 2-5 mW.

I still have no info on this gun can someone please let me know about the diode I can get 200 of these for 150.00 all work company is just changing there system.

Doom

The diode in one of those is going to be relatively weak (equivalent to the PHR red diode at best), unless you have a use for the optical components or circuits, I wouldn't bother with this.

Those are good for making liquid sky effects. It has a revolving mirror I believe. Doubt the laser would be worth anything, but you could pull the spinning mirror assembly and sell those.

Cool thanx for the info. The optics are glass and are pretty nice. There is also a ruby colored lense in there. Has lots of components to salvage from the circuits. The morrors are fixed except one that is hinged on a spring, my guess is for vibration hand movenents and such. I did remove the diodes from 2 that were givin to me to check the components out. Maybe I'll build a nice host with adjusters on my lathe and use the diodes for a laser on my pellet riffle and HMR17 Wonder if they will handle the shock of a compound bow. I could put the modual on springs to take the shock may just build a mount and host to try that.
Thanx again for the help

Doom

The one on a spring oscillates while the scanner is in action to give the left-right scanning of the beam, not for anti-shake or anti-shock - at a guess, there's an electromagnet pulling against the spring and mirror assembly which pulses, and the spring then brings it back to the resting point when magnet is off.

Actualy no magnet I will take a pic to show you whats in there for mirrors and posted it tomorrow I have my camera charging rite now.

Doom

HIMNL9

Being a device planned for put out a scanning beam in public, it's probably a 2mW diode ..... this usually for class 2B devices ..... maybe the diode is underdrived, but anyway is probably just a 10mW diode .....

Got a good picture of the mirrors the long mirror only moves slightly maybe 2 deg both directions it has plastic strips that are acting as springs. I dont have any use for the mirrors. There is a small mirror and a plastic mirrored reflector thats the part with the square hole in the center. if anyone needs them I'm happy to send them off free just pay shipping.
005-5.jpg

Doom

They are 150.00 each and they have 200 for sale. I just got off the phone with them after reading your post the way the guy told me it for sure I thought that all 200 were only gonna be 150.00 total lol knowing the price for them now I wish I hadn't tore the 2 apart they gave me to check out both looked brand new.

Doom