Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser product idea?

I was thinking one diode shooting across the gap. Perhaps some kind of diffusion plates or material that can absorb the laser light (I hear that the reentry plate material the shuttle uses would stand up to something like this)

Here is a VERY basic/rough idea.

lol, you know how much even a cubic centimeter of that stuff would cost? lol.

something else i just thought of is if you make the 2 "prongs" wide enough, you can drill a hole horizontal and then vertical and put a mirror at the apex, so that the unused part of the beam shoots down into the hole instead of some where else. ill draw it real quick.

edit: damnit ya got meh.

you wouldn't need a diffuser. think about it like this: you turn it on then you put a cig in the middle, light it, then turn it off. just let it hit the aluminum base plate. you would be fine. the heat build up would be negligable. Have you ever made cookies in a oven at 350 deg. F. on aluminum foil. I just reach in and grab the foil tray with out mits. it cools almost instantly.

michael

If you want to burn white paper... the best LD has been shown to
be a 405nm Blu-Ray LD... (this is not an attack)

Jerry

If you want to burn white paper... the best LD has been shown to
be a 405nm Blu-Ray LD... (this is not an attack)

Jerry

:p

Yeah, blueray would work fine, I just used Red since it was the first color next to black in Paint...you know being at work and not at home with photoshop ;)

I looked into the shuttle material and I guess it's not that expensive for small pieces of it. Actually it sounds fairly reasonable, but as stated since the laser will only be on for a small period of time (less than a few seconds) the heat build up on the absorbing material (metal or something else) will be negligible. might not even need absorbing material as it sounds :)

D

Deleted member 8382

If u smoke normal tobacco then u don't need to light it by the paper, thebrown tobacco lights fine :p

Interesting.

If you oriented the igniter assembly (u-shaped portion) so that it was next to the power source, instead of on top, you'd have enough space for the module, without needing mirrors & such.

And, you could probably put a lense at the other end of the igniter assembly (receiving end) that would just disperse the light into a wide enough beam that it wouldn't be harmful.

Like this (baaad sketch):
badsketch.jpg

yes great idea. i wonder which would be the best way to use it though, i mean safest? like in the pic or upside down. It seems much more atainable now.

Lazo, would this be an actually obtainable product/project right now, today, if one had a bluray laser module, a battery, driver/sled, and the optics (and of course some kind of case)?

I know it wouldn't be the size of a zippo like Rog's (or maybe it can, what do I know :) ) but what do you think the money factor would be in creating one for personal use?

Mr_Lazo- thats a cool idea.

what would be even cooler is if he added a spirograph instead of a badly focused lense so it could be a lighter and a light show

:) lol

Lazo, would this be an actually obtainable product/project right now, today, if one had a bluray laser module, a battery, driver/sled, and the optics (and of course some kind of case)?

I know it wouldn't be the size of a zippo like Rog's (or maybe it can, what do I know :) ) but what do you think the money factor would be in creating one for personal use?

As I see it, your main problem would be the case (the optics may be a bit of an issue, but since you're essentially just trying to UN-focus the beam it won't be nearly as finicky).

If you're any good at welding (which I am not), you could probably bang something together out of sheet metal (since it's essentially a box, no curves or tubing) that would end up roughly 1/2 to 2/3 the volume of an Altoids tin. Still "pocket-sized".

It seems very do-able.:D

maxh

Graphite is way cheaper than spaceshuttle tiles and can handle temperatures of 3000 deg. C plus.
Also, if you didn't care that it be so similar in shape to a zippo, you could stick the entire cig in there so the laser hit the end.

7312867-876.gif

You don't have to put a mirror in it; you could stick the module where it is, but it'd probably be a little shorter with a mirror there. And I used green just to be different! ;)

I hate to throw a big old steaming turd in the party punch bowl...but if you make one for your self that is no problem...but if you "intend to enter it into commerce" you will find out that it is illegal.

putting the whole cig in the device will not work!! The point of ignition would only be delivered to the center of the cig, it will not light. as for the zippo spiro, rog8811 has done that as well check out his signature.

michael