Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Pointer Triggered On/Off Switch

strik3

was surfing the net just now trying to see if its possible to use a 808nm LD instead of a LED so that you could get longer ranges on a tv remote and i came across this

Laser Pointer Remote Control Circuit - Robot Room

to summarize the pages, it talks about how using CdS sensors you can make a simple on off switch that is activated by a laser.
and then by adding A 74AC74 D-type flip-flop the switch can then "remember" what state it should be in. ie on or off.

with a few modifications i could see us using this as a lasy way to turn on or off, ceiling lights or things like that.

LaZeRz

I dont even have to be bothered making remotes for my ceiling lights :p The fan on my rooms roof has a remote which also has a light switch :D

Although this does seem interesting, do you have any plans for it?

strik3

yeah im looking at integrating it into my pc. so to turn it on i just shine a laser at the sensor and it powers up.

My Lights, curtains, Projection screen, all computer controllable and via a Harmony 1000. Including my bigger hene.

I wonder if you could replace the ir transmitter with a ir laser on a remote control and increase the range and output?

Otherwise I like having the convience of the remote. Novel idea, but ...

Would work great on an alarm system :)

Last edited:

Fenzir

I have a light sensor that I took from a lamp my neighbor was throwing away. It serves as a light sensor. I put a small cylinder of black paper around it and left the top open so I could point a laser (1mw red) into it. When it is triggered, which can only happen every 5 seconds it will act as an on/off switch. It was my first electrical DIY without a guide to follow. sadly, all I use it for anymore is a paperweight.