Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser pointer as alternative volleyball net outside

I would like to know if it's possible and safe to use a laser pointer tied to a tree to use as a volleyball net (guideline). The laser would point back to my house and would be high up enough so that nobody can view directly into the laser, just on the sides.

It would be for daytime use in a semi-shady area for kids to play volleyball. I understand a green laser would work best. What strength would be best?

Or is it too dangerous to use?

diachi

I would like to know if it's possible and safe to use a laser pointer tied to a tree to use as a volleyball net (guideline). The laser would point back to my house and would be high up enough so that nobody can view directly into the laser, just on the sides.

It would be for daytime use in a semi-shady area for kids to play volleyball. I understand a green laser would work best. What strength would be best?

Or is it too dangerous to use?

So you are looking for a visible beam in semi-shade during the day? Visible enough to act as a "net" anyway?

GatoX

See a laser beam during daylight is hard, you need a lot of power or foggy conditions

I'm going to go with: This isn't safe. If the ball hit it there could be a reflection off the glossy white ball. If someone was wearing a ring it could reflect. Neat idea in theory. Bad idea in practice. Now change some variables and this could be neat. Smoke/fog machine with a 5mw 532nm would be safe indoors with the lights out and maybe a ball with some LEDs in it would be cool.

I'm going to go with: This isn't safe. If the ball hit it there could be a reflection off the glossy white ball. If someone was wearing a ring it could reflect. Neat idea in theory. Bad idea in practice. Now change some variables and this could be neat. Smoke/fog machine with a 5mw 532nm would be safe indoors with the lights out and maybe a ball with some LEDs in it would be cool.

What about if all players wore special sunglasses? Would that change the equation? This would only be for my 2 kids, me and wife.

If they all wore protective goggles, they wouldn't be able to see the net ;)

What about using an invisible laser connected to an arduino controller. The controller would be located on the other side of the "net" such that when the laser beam is cut, a sound alert would be triggered. A rope could be placed near the laser beam location to give a visible indicator to players to indicate where the net is. Would that work safely?

Yoyolaser, the quick answer to you question is no.

While in theory it may be possible, in reality it would be way easier to just use a normal net.

- If you want to see the beam, the laser will be too powerful = too dangerous = no fun.
- If you don't need to see the beam then it will be hard to tell if the ball "hit" the net (or went under it). You won't be able to see the "net" at all!
- if you want to get complicated, then you would need a mildly stable platform for the laser and sensing circuitry. The problem then is that you won't be able to see where the net is. That will make it no fun to play the game.
- And if you use a string or rope to show where the invisible laser "net" is.... Well, you might as well just use a real net. :D

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation. That's too bad. I never realized how hard this would be to do safely. Oh well. Thanks again.

^Just wanted to add on real quick

Although it would be awesome to be able to see a laser as your volleyball net it wouldn't be practical(as the other guys have said). Just to put it into perspective:

I used to have a 500mW 532nm handheld and it's beam was barely visible outside on a warm sunny day ;)

-Alex

^Just wanted to add on real quick

Although it would be awesome to be able to see a laser as your volleyball net it wouldn't be practical(as the other guys have said). Just to put it into perspective:

I used to have a 500mW 532nm handheld and it's beam was barely visible outside on a warm sunny day ;)

-Alex

Makes sense now. I guess if it could be done it would have been done by now. Putting up a volleyball net is extremely hard and impractical so I'll continue playing without any net with my family. :)

Makes sense now. I guess if it could be done it would have been done by now. Putting up a volleyball net is extremely hard and impractical so I'll continue playing without any net with my family. :)

Dude its easy, two poles, two bags of concrete and two tires. Make stands out of that. Ties on the net and pull them apart untill the net is tight. Easy sauce. If you were willing to build a laser.net this should be a piece of cake.

At night, it's possible. However, i wouldn't use high power lasers, and a photogate to make a circuit instead. Would make for a neat arduino project!

DrSid

Visible beam is never safe. Simple as that.

Optical fibre could look just as cool though.

Last edited: