Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Misery

Hi all,

I'm a first-timer here and I am in a huge panic. I need to have a laser capable of lighting fires by tomorrow (it's for work, not mischievous use), and I've now taken apart two DVD players and both have had laser diodes different than the ones in every single online tutorial I've found.

The ones online all look like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4wHo2MPDwAc/R2h3nFTq1KI/AAAAAAAAAB8/b88n8IPvD68/s320/Diode-out.jpg

But mine were both mounted within the sled and their beams made it to the disks using a series of mirrors. Is it possible to make the kind of laser I'm trying to make with the parts I have? Please, please help. I never wanted to be this guy on a forum, but I am desperate.

what kind of work do you do ?

and no, good luck achieving what you want with what you have ...

you are going to need safety goggles for you and everyone else around i hope you realise that ?

Sorry, I have to ask... What line of work are you in that has this requirement? There are more efficient ways of lighting fires, you know.

Trevor

(it's for work, not mischievous use)

What's the application exactly?
huh.gif

-Trevor

I'm a journalist writing on how to build such a laser. The laser, not the fire it can cause, is the assignment.

The application is to test is by lighting a match with it, and then I'll pretty much be done.

Thanks for the tip on the goggles, ReaperZ. Why do you say it won't work? What is the problem with what I have?

Last edited:

rhd

Hi all,

I'm a first-timer here and I am in a huge panic. I need to have a laser capable of lighting fires by tomorrow (it's for work, not mischievous use), and I've now taken apart two DVD players and both have had laser diodes different than the ones in every single online tutorial I've found.

The ones online all look like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4wHo2MPDwAc/R2h3nFTq1KI/AAAAAAAAAB8/b88n8IPvD68/s320/Diode-out.jpg

But mine were both mounted within the sled and their beams made it to the disks using a series of mirrors. Is it possible to make the kind of laser I'm trying to make with the parts I have? Please, please help. I never wanted to be this guy on a forum, but I am desperate.

what kind of work do you do ?

and no, good luck achieving what you want with what you have ...

you are going to need safety goggles for you and everyone else around i hope you realise that ?

ReaperZ:
Unless I've misunderstood the OP, isn't he basically describing how ALL of our laser diodes come? (at least the ones we take out of sleds)

Either way, I'm also in the camp of not wanting to give you any info/advice until you treat us to some details about this awesome line of work you must be in ;)

Why won't any of the run-of-the-mill burning videos on the internet work?

-Trevor

Because they all use this circular, pins-configured-in-a-triangle diode, which neither of the DVD drives I've taken apart have in them.

rhd

I serious'd then lol'd upon 'dvd player'.

I'm totally confused by what this means - but I think I can extract your intended comment, and agree.

The OP has probably opened up a DVD reader, not burner.

Trevor

Because they all use this circular, pins-configured-in-a-triangle diode, which neither of the DVD drives I've taken apart have in them.

No, I mean why can't you use all the videos of DVD burner laser lighting fires on the internet as source material, rather than trying to build one yourself in less than 24 hours?

-Trevor

No, I mean why can't you use all the videos of DVD burner laser lighting fires on the internet as source material, rather than trying to build one yourself in less than 24 hours?

-Trevor

I see. Because I'm supposed to be writing my own tutorial. And clearly the videos online serve as poor source material because I have so far been unable to build anything successful using them.

3zuli

so now you need to know, which diode is red and which is IR, right?
do you have a multimeter?

btw there are LOTS of good tutorials on building a laser on the internet and LPF
how about this one? How to build a laser (general guide) :whistle:

Last edited:
I found the red one by testing it with wires + batteries while it was in its assembly.

Trevor

I see. Because I'm supposed to be writing my own tutorial. And clearly the videos online serve as poor source material because I have so far been unable to build anything successful using them.

...and what publication is this going in?

-Trevor