Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Light Problem -WEIRD

BigDEE

Hey guys I fainally got a laser but only 5mW I got an hde 5mW astronomy green laser. I got it and liked the light so I took it apart and pot modded it (I know "you shouldn't do that" but it was cheap so I did and I put it back together and now when I press the button it does this so can you tell me how to fix it please.

Attachments

• clip-2013-03-01 16;25;08.mov
    10.7 MB · Views: 136

The light appears to pulse kinda, not sure if its just me or the camera, is that what you are talking about?

You may have turned it up to much? have you tried turning the pot back down?

You probably overdid it with the pot mod. Also, it could be a battery problem...

Last edited:

DrSid

Could be also bad contact somewhere. Battery spring got loose. Switch is cheap and not connecting (very common with those micro push buttons). If it is aluminum body with more parts, there is very often bad contact between them, due oxidation.

BigDEE

Hey guys sorry about not getting back sooner but the last time I had posted I left for the Laser SkrillStep at the bhul planetarium which by the way was AWESOME either way I have gone back in and I un modded it and it still does it I'm thinking I'll just buy a new diode and a new panel and build my own since I now have a base to go off of I'll let you know how it turn out but before any of that I'll go back in and give the solder that's in there a quick burst of heat to re-strengthen it and hopefully put it back in place if it doesn't work I'll just buy the diode and panel oh and quick question on the pot which way do I turn to strengthen the beam and which way do I turn to decrease the beam THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP YOU GUYS HAVE SOLVED MY PROBLEM ONCE AGAIN YOU GUYS ARE ALL AWESOME ILL KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE THANKS.

2 days later he comes back telling the laser only outputs a dim red light haha

Its a lot more complicated then just buying a diode. There a crystals in there that convert the light from the diode (808nm IR) to the 532nm or green. I would recommend buying a cheap 532nm module and replacing the whole thing. They usually come with the driver attached and can be found all over the place.

BigDEE

Its a lot more complicated then just buying a diode. There a crystals in there that convert the light from the diode (808nm IR) to the 532nm or green. I would recommend buying a cheap 532nm module and replacing the whole thing. They usually come with the driver attached and can be found all over the place.

Yeah module that's what i meant sorry

pot modded it (I know "you shouldn't do that")... can you tell me how to fix it please.

xs3ZXJi.gif

BigDEE

I personally recommend this on as i've had good luck with them in the past as well as Blord has. https://www.fasttech.com/products/1083000

mine metered around 70mW out of the box and was able to get 90mW stable with a peak over 100mW, Blord was able to get 100mW.

Thank you so much that's a big help an are the leads necessary or can I de-solder them off along with that how much can the 100mW do

BigDEE

Oh and with your peaks are those peaked when after they've been pot modded