Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser license?

I don't see any reason to regulate the ownership of lasers... There will always be idiots and they will always find a way (legally or illegally) to use/obtain whatever they wish to abuse. The key to prevention is education; whether it be a gun, car or laser.

or "Maybe we should make all batteries cost $5000; because if a batteries costs $5000, there wouldn't be any stray laser beams. People would think twice before lasing a plane if the batteries cost $5000." ;D

The new world order will dictate our needs now. Please sit back quietly while your desires are analyzed. Meanwhile -- pay your taxes

Mike

jman11

um hello they cant get rid of lasers and anyone with a brain could make one out of a dvd player if they wanted. that and dude that would suck y would you even think about that trust me if there was an actual problem that lasers are causing there would already be a law against it...no offense. BTW i am making a violet laser off styropyros guide it is about 100mW output and do you think i would need a license to make it

Jman -- I can't translate your post here. Can you put it in American please? I think you are on the right track.

Mike

jman11 said:
um hello they cant get rid of lasers and anyone with a brain could make one out of a dvd player if they wanted. that and dude that would suck y would you even think about that trust me if there was an actual problem that lasers are causing there would already be a law against it...no offense.  BTW i am making a violet laser off styropyros guide it is about 100mW output and [highlight]do you think i would need a license to make it[/highlight]

What? The thing we're discussing in this thread is if it should be good to have a laser license. And that means that such a thing does NOT exist at the moment.
So, obviously, you wouldn't need a license to make a 100mW 405nm laser. ::)

zachlr

If we are requiring licenses for lasers, why don't we require a license for anything else that could be used offensively. Hmm... let's see... we will start out with forks and knives since you could stab someone with them, so we'll have to eat with our hands. Anything glass cause you could break it and cut someone. Oh and don't forget anything electronic, someone could get electrocuted. Oh and all plastic bags and similar, someone could get suffocated, so you'll just need to run to the state building to get a license every time you go to the grocery store, no biggie. And we definitely need to require a license to own string or rope or wire, you could strangle someone with those. Plus, anything that makes a flame, so lighters and matches need a license. Pencils and pens could be used to stab someone, they will definitely need a license, don't worry about getting one of these since you won't be able to fill out the paperwork to get one without one. Oh and lastly, there is always hand to hand combat, so we'll just have to put handcuffs on everyone until they get a license, good luck filling out the paperwork with no hands.

Sounds like a free country to me, what about you?

Dug up an old thread looking to see if laser licences exist.:

A laser is nothing like a silent gun, lasers have been around for 46 years and not once in that whole time has a person been killed by one.

No it hasn't killed anybody but one did make an entire house explode with popcorn:D YouTube - Real Genius (part 11)

Seriously though, I always worry some cop is gonna see my beam and just confiscate it just to be a richard only to find him using it in his own backyard. I worry that having a 50mW and a 100mW, the cops will definitely take it it away because it's "illegal". But the truth of th matter is, the cops isn't going to know whether I got a 5mW in my hand or a 50mW. I have never been that stupid with mine so really nothing to worry about.

Lol, I loved that movie back in the day. Incidentally. in the US at least you do NOT need a license to own a gun in every state. There are many ways around the states that DO require licenses to own guns. some are called "grandfather clauses." As for making people get a license to own a laser, that would be a great idea. seriously. But first, can we simply start by making people get a license to reproduce?? Again, seriously....

As for nobody being killed by a laser. I dare you to prove it. Imagine, two ignorant kids with a laser by the side of the road. car comes down the road speeding along. laser comes out amid a few hushed "Do it! I dare you!", and "No I'm not chicken!" comments. Laser shines at windshield.... Driver screams, and suddenly can't see. Car careens off road and slams into large tree, off cliff, into another car, into randomly placed car incinerator device that just happens to be built just for incinerating laser blinded drivers along with their cars, etc. Two ignorant kids run off, and make a pact to NEVER tell anyone about this.....

Prove it didn't happen. I dare you :eg:

StridAst

*TWEET* "HEY YOU!!!! Get out of the genepool NOW!!!"

I like the idea of having users be licensed. It would cut back on irresponsible users. Plus, who here (being the responsible people we are) wouldn't be able to get one? Being 18 is one thing, but that just depends on the law that gets put into place. Many 16 year old kids wouldn't care enough to get license, just to own a pointer.

Besides, it would be cool in my mind, to have a license that not everybody can have? It would give Americans better views of laserists, it would show that we are taking initiative at being more responsible with them. Plus I wouldn't mind making room in my wallet for a LASER License with my name and picture on it. :D

This is only my opinion though.... don't hurt me if you disagree with me!

Razako

Horrible idea. I mean more people have been killed by baseball bats than lasers. Should people be required to acquire a license in order to buy a baseball bat? What about knives? What about box cutters??? Those caused 9-11!!!! GASP!!!!! BAN NOW PLZ! You can't classify things as a dangerous weapon just because they can be used that way.

Do we really want a screwed up country like Australia with the government banning everything in sight and customs so strict that you can't import half of the things on dealXtreme?

Furthermore the problem with a laser license is that unless you're an amateur astronomer or in some kind of scientific or teaching field it would be hard justifying why you need that big scary 500 mw green laser. Saying that you just want it "to point around outside at night for fun" or to "burn things" wouldn't cut it.

I'd say that out of all high powered laser owners
60% Use lasers in a completely responsible way. This means that they don't EVER use them to mess with people. They don't flash office buildings at night for the fun or it, torment the neighbors dog, freak out kids on Halloween or other mischievous use. They always wear the proper eye protection when required and know what they're doing.
30% Do occasionally "have a little fun" with their lasers, but they don't do anything too stupid or dangerous. At max they just freak people out and leave them wondering wtf that green light was. They might shine their laser up onto the hills at night over somebodies house while they're having a party or take their laser to a fireworks show/concert/other public events.
9.9% Are just idiots and or ignorant of proper laser safety and most of the people in this group don't even know about this site and just bought a cheapo green pointer from dx/kaidomain or from wicked after seeing the youtube videos and thinking "damn that looks cool". Generally they don't get the proper eye protection and do really stupid stuff unaware of how potentially damaging the laser is. They might shine their laser at airplanes high in the sky for fun and they don't see any problem with it.
.1% This is the "Inherrently Evil" group and they intentionally cause havoc with lasers. They shine very powerful lasers at planes coming in for a landing, cops, cars and people with the intent to cause harm or panic. Of all major laser vs plane incidents they probably cause 75% with the Ignorant/stupid group causing the remaining 25%.

To date nobody has been killed by laser misuse and the problem is really blown out of proportion by the media. Lasers are highly comparable to fireworks. They're both "just for fun" with no real practical use or need and they can both cause a lot of trouble if misused. Fireworks have burned entire forrests to the ground and killed/injured thousands of people. However if handeled properly they can be great fun and really safe. Don't ban something just cause idiots and scumbags can find a way to abuse it. If you go down that road you'll need to ban a lot more than lasers.

Benm

Oh, please, not even more licenses!

I usually compare it to a hammer: its a perfect tool for bashing someones skull in, but very useful for lawful purposes and can be operated with minimal training or hazard for lawful purposes.

A license requirement will not deter anyone from bashing in someones head with a hammer (you can easily steal one), its just additional cost and hassle for lawful users.

I used to have to fill out an affidavit when purchasing high powered class 4 laser devices. Now I see more and more high powered lasers just being sold without any requirements. This of course is more of an oath, though it did make sure the seller was not held responsible etc.

Albeit these things seem quite lax as if late...
A required license may be the only thing that keeps high powered lasers from becoming illegal to own at all.

Watch out -- When anything becomes a licensed privlege, it is now controled at a price and can be eliminated in a moment by a "concerned" government watching over you. Schools don't teach this ugly side of government anymore. Look at history.

HMike

Another problem with a license is exactly who is permitted to have one and what do they have to do to get it? Licenses/permits for some things are easy to get and all one need do is to fill out an application and pay a fee. But others are very restrictive, like getting a permit to carry a concealed firearm. Be careful what you wish for...

Benm

I used to have to fill out an affidavit when purchasing high powered class 4 laser devices. Now I see more and more high powered lasers just being sold without any requirements. This of course is more of an oath, though it did make sure the seller was not held responsible etc.

Albeit these things seem quite lax as if late...
A required license may be the only thing that keeps high powered lasers from becoming illegal to own at all.

Well, again, on the hammer analogy:

Say someone wanted to murder someone, and got himself a nice big mallet to do so... you'd really think this person would not sign the affidavid because of potential legal consequences while he is about to commit the worst crime possible?

You see people getting runned over by car as a method of murder - and i doubt the one behind the wheel really cares about the extra fine of drving without a permit ;)

You see people getting runned over by car as a method of murder - and i doubt the one behind the wheel really cares about the extra fine of drving without a permit ;)

True, laws only stop honest people. Anyone who is determined will find something regardless of legality. The point isn't to pretend a permit or license would stop people from using a laser to commit a crime if they are determined to do so. The point is to increase the difficulty to the point of where there are fewer "casual and careless" people getting them and behaving like it's just a toy. When you have to go through a few hoops to get something, you often have more respect for what it is you have achieved. When you have more respect for lasers, it's hard to argue the respect as a bad thing. If you weed out the stupid teenagers shining them at planes, but still make it quite legal to own, so long as you work a little for it, then anyone can still get one legally, (unless restrictions were put into place to prohibit ex-felons and/or mentally ill patients from getting them. Much like many firearm laws, etc)
Fact is, you can go out and get a firearm. In some states in america there are laws that make you work more to get them, but you can still get them. In those states, while the laws don't seem to reduce crime at all, they DO tend to reduce the frequency of accidents. (read reduce, NOT eliminate. Human stupidity truly is infinite)

I honestly think requiring a permit, which is freely available, but requires some work on your part to get, is a good thing. It would NOT eliminate any seriously intentional crimes, however it would probably reduce the number of idiot kids shining them at planes or cars.

StridASt