Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Lab and Hotel with Optics Manufacturing, and way more

kecked

We have a really nice maker space here at the university. It's growing a lot. We just opened a new biomaker space too.

That would be great to have a place like that to go to, if within driving distance, maybe others would take time off and go there to play, I don't know. Build it and they will come?

Later I realized that lens is simple a single piece cylinder pair, easier just to buy a pair of cylinders instead of a single lens like that which would be very expensive, unless, of course, you could make it :)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXYes--its his dream lab--but w/o dreams we get nothing by talk--

back story-- in 1925 a large brick church was built in San Antonio--it grew in size by a lot nover the years--extra 'wings' later closed... afaik THEN remodeled into a shelter for battered women (complete w/ all bullet proof windows facing the street.)

....closed again THEN some SA 'DREAMERS' had their idea-the place after tons of work and $$ was reopened at 'URBAN 15' a center for the 'ARTS' w/ huge well stocked workshops in the basement--lots of needed machines-they were making drums-costumes-props-sets for plays--

the largest room became home for many 'happenings' w/ dance etc-film festivals happened-and Laser Artist Tim Walsh (once pres. of ILDA) began doing Christmas laser shows-eventually needing more dates and another venue. The 'Dorms' and shower areas for the women were remodeled for any use they saw fit and in 2012 due to all the hard work by Tim--good buddy 'Displaser' Greg and some help from me the first TEXLEM happened and was by all standards a huge success-for a 'first-time' LEM.

-most made use of the free beds and shower hall (I brought 8 extra air beds) and we donated lots of work the week before on the re-done HUGE kitchen (where I/WE fabbed up some awesome food)

and finished some paint jobs-moved the resturant size stove back in place-BUT it will ALWAYs in some ways be a 'work/dream in progress'--BUT w/OUT that 'dream' would have never happened as much as it has..ATM they still have LOTS of rooms unused--and have plans for much more--

A largish closed Hotel w/ conference rooms and an auditorium/large venues going UNUSED- is the size/type needed for such a big undertaking--but they ARE out there waiting to become a dream come true.. and no doubt unless we get funded by someone w/ deep pockets.. it would only happen with lots of work and time. I would love for it to be near me of course but where ever this dream does come true IM IN!!

I met a guy in SA who is employed (now) by Tim Walsh Laser--before that he lived at URBAN 15 and worked on lots of the remodeling etc-- a live-in caretaker --

in 2012 at the time we were there no-one was living there full time--and the guy related some interesting stories about the old brick church and the spirits who 'live' there-- I saw/heard one the first nite I stayed over--(I was alone that nite)-- I said nothing about this until AFTER I met the once live-in caretaker.... IF offered I would seriously consider moving to SA and living at Urban 15--ghosts and all'

[/B]

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

badscr

Deleted it and Tried to PM it but it would not.
We have a really nice maker space here at the university. It's growing a lot. We just opened a new biomaker space too.

That is awesome! What is it called and is there a URL?
You are one of the lucky ones. Only 26 percent of cities currently have makerspaces (very loose definition). Many are established in libraries and YMCAs (483 in North America) but not to this scale. According to Atmel Corporation, a manufacturer of microcontrollers, there are an estimated 135 million U.S. adults who are makers.

With this project, its kind of an extension of other makerspaces as-well as stand-alone. With on-site hotel and having it Affordable for traveling to it. In a way like disney world for us makers, inventors, hobbyist, ect. The place is tailored for out-of-town travelers.

Say a few members want some specialty peace of equipment that cost a lot, the makerspace can not justify the purchase, so they do not get one. This is where the National Makerspace fills that gap.

Focusing more on the specialty equipment like.
3D printers that print in metal
High accuracy 3D scanner like the "Space Spider". https://artec3d.com
IBM mainframe computer which is a big deal for IT.

The electronics lab would have over 30,000 different types of components to use for breadboarding (2,000,000 components). Then theres the PCB lab that can make boards with 2 mil traces, plated vias, up to 8 layers, HF, silkscreening, soldermask, Reflow oven, pick-n-place.
Use of equipment like
Logic Analyzer Agilent 16864A thats $110,000 each
Spectrum Analyzers $35,000 ea
Real-Time MSO9404A Mixed Signal Oscilloscope $134,700 ea.

After a few years of operation, I would Love to do a Summer Camp for kids that love or are interested in STEAM. As I would have loved something like this when i was a kid in-place of 4H.

The donations are not so-much about the money but rather demonstrating the market base. $5 is way more powerful then a paper survey. That $5 is actually $40 in the long run. There will be survey questionnaire as soon as I have time to code it.

Last edited:

badscr

Moving this over here as its a better fit.

Original Post last edited
^^^^^^^^
Maby i'm missing the big picture of what this is about??
Aren't there University's and Industrial machine shops already in place for apprentice's to learn?
16 minutes for the material to be delivered?? What happens if that material isn't in stock? Wouldn't it distrupt the harmony?
Just one of the many many many issue's. Greed over hogging machinery and tools and stock.. People wanting to make money on their builds, etc, etc....Nothing ever runs smooth as this dream, as I see caos even in the dream mode:can:

Nice to have vision but slow it down a bit..;)

^^^^^^^^ 16 minutes for the material to be delivered?? What happens if that material isn't in stock?
Just one of the many many many issue's. Greed over hogging machinery and tools and stock.. People wanting to make money on their builds, etc, etc....Nothing ever runs smooth as this dream, as I see caos even in the dream mode:can:
Maby i'm missing the big picture of what this is about??
Nice to have vision but slow it down a bit..;)

Thank you, GSS for the good questions. :thanks:

Add another one to the issue list. What prevents the hotel from turning into an apartment building? There are limits set, that people will not hit if they are not trying to abuse the hotel. There are ways that the hospitality industry deals with this.

^^^^^^^^ 16 minutes for the material to be delivered?? What happens if that material isn't in stock?
While there would be a very large selection of materials (common and exotic). If the item is not a stock item or the 'just in time logistics' failed to replenish that item. Yes, it would not meat the 16 minutes delivery (up to 2 week turnaround on some items), that is only for the in stock items. There would be 212,000 large autostore bin locations, and 1,600 large/long(angle iron and 4'x8ft sheets) stock locations.
The website (not coded yet) will have a e-commerce area that will show all stocked items. Also the warehouse also does order fulfillment.

If someone knows that they are going to need something. They can order it from somewhere else and ship it to National Makerspace and it will be stored for there arrival. They can also pre-order items from the warehouse and it will be picked and stored for there arrival. shipping kiosk: 18,000 bins and 400 pallets

Greed over hogging machinery and tools and stock.. People wanting to make money on their builds, etc, etc....Nothing ever runs smooth as this dream, as I see caos even in the dream mode:can:

There are lots of successful smaller scale examples of this Concept pertaining to the equipment and tools. But, there are extensive gaps and this National Makerspace will fill. Many are established in libraries, YMCAs, or community colleges as an educational opportunity for students. The target audience ranges from computer science uses and STEM education to makers who create products, inventions, art, woodworking goods, and other things. Globally there are 1,400 active spaces and in the North America continent there are 483 spaces (56% in California).

According to Atmel Corporation, a manufacturer of microcontrollers, there are an estimated 135 million U.S. adults who are makers.

one example of a large space https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXbfJYsdXhA

Nothing ever runs smooth as
Will there be bumps? Yes.
The level of automation goes a long way to make it smooth. Using Autocrib tool/asset management and tracking system. Along with other systems.

over hogging machinery and tools and stock.. People wanting to make money on their builds, etc, etc
If someone can make money from there own builds, that is great and happy for them.
The place is not for 'Large Production Runs'. Its for creativity, innovation, prototypes, Proof-of-concept, ect.. maybe they could do a small quantity to find there market validation.
There is the ability (electronic/computer systems) to set limits for each person (I do not want to limit people, but the capability is there to do so) to prevent equipment and tool hording.
As a bonus to that system it will also provide analytics to equipment and tool use. The analytics data will show if there is a need to add another peace of equipment/tool before it becomes a problem.
For example, say a particular lens is used very often at large quantity, I would show that and then more of that lens can be ordered. (not sold)

An other system that will upgrade to later can create a building "Hot Map" of floor use.

Last edited:
The University of Washington in Seattle put in a new Bio-Chemical- Engineering building a couple years ago with all the finest equipment for $61 million. It is state of the art.

Last edited:

Encap

Same pantload of make believe pretend world nonsense as the Go Fund Me scam/scheme business daydream talking daydreams within a daydream different day + now spamming the the 1st thread with posts from the 2nd thread---seriously pathetic grasping at straws.

Is all just moving target wild conjecture and speculation fantasy about that which does not exist.

Nothing with nothing is still nothing , in the real world.

Last edited:

badscr

Started the Public Market Validation here, Figure i'll end it here too.
Link to: The Project Page

Raised a good amount of money. Starting next week ill be refunding all donations. I have frozen the donations and made all donations hidden.

It sucks, that so-many people are so cynical. Since it looks like the general public will not support the project and share the same views as Encap thus i'm pulling the plug.

As nice as this sounds I think 1 problem is who decides the booking of time on this wonderful equipment ?

It's like saying we will all chip in and buy " city cars " to share and use as needed, them when you go to use a car you discover that car #1 has vomit and beer cans in it, car #2 is smashed, car #3 is parked at Joe Bob's house because he's running it as a taxi service......just imagine how impossible it would be to get 1000.00 worth of time on this wonderful equipment for your 10.00 contribution, basically you get what you pay for.

As much as this would be awesome - the fact that it would be in one location defeats the whole point for the vast majority of people

There's a reason that existing makerspaces are generally small and in populous cities - Demand and supply. Only people who need to use highly specific tools are going to travel that far to use such a facility - Otherwise, they'll find a local school or university with a laser cutter, colleague with a 3D printer, or go a short distance to a hackerspace in a nearby city.

The appeal of making things at home for me is that I can turn my dining table into an electronics workbench for an evening if I want. Sure I don't have access to a vast array of tools and materials - but I don't have to fly to Edinburgh to do so (I picked a UK example that's a flight away, but my point stands.)

Last edited: