Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Lab and Hotel with Optics Manufacturing, and way more

badscr

Update June 21: $1.2 Million raised.

This place has a Laser Lab, machine shop, electronics lab...
public memberships (affordable $29)
Needs your support. It's almost like a Group Buy where one person alone can not do it but as a group it can be done.

National Makerspace
http://nationalmakerspace.com

It is a national public community center that provides technology, manufacturing equipment and educational opportunities that allows members to design, prototype and manufacture items using tools and equipment that would otherwise be inaccessible or unaffordable.

Workshops, Labs, Hotel, car rentals, Materials retail warehouse, 3PL, All in one place.
Everything. Right where you need it.
With every Tool/Equipment you need to make anything.

There is a Laser Lab (lab is a clean room / faraday cage).

Femtosecond Laser
Argon Ion Lasers
Nanosecond Lasers
Assortment of lasers
Lots of optics of every type
Beam power meters
Optical tables
8ch Picosecond Event Time-Correlated Single Photon Counting (TCSPC) system
Automated robotic storage system

3D Printer that can Print in stainless steel.
CNC mill and lathes

CNC Optics Manufacturing
OptiSonic 500 grinder and UFF300 Polishing.
Ideal for manufacturing a variety of different optics up to 300mm in diameter, including spheres, aspheric lenses, aspheric cylinders, freeforms and more.

30050432_1526951808.1143_funddescription.jpg

Last edited:

badscr

Some high lights
3D printing in Metal
Universal Quantum Computer
IBM Mainframes computers
Full PCB Rapid Prototype Manufacturing lab
Robotics lab
CNC optics manufacturing
Laser and Optics Lab with Femtosecond Lasers, 8ch TCSPC

Short List of Departments:
All professional grade equipment!

Hotel
Automated warehouse & 3PL
Class Rooms
Online Classes
Conference Rooms
Summer camp
Laser and Optics Lab
CNC optics manufacturing
Femtosecond Lasers, TCSPC, and more
3D printing
3D printing in metal
3D scanning
Woodworking Shop
Machine Shop
Welding
Metal working
Metal Casting
Blacksmithing
Robotics
Electronics Lab
Full PCB Rapid Prototype Manufacturing lab (2mil, upto 8 layers, and more)
Pottery
Glass Blowing
Glass Hot Shop
Neon making
Textiles
CNC embroidery, Looms, Screen printing, sewing, quilting, leather.
Sign Shop Lab
Large format printing
Vacuum Forming
Painting and large Paint Booths
Photo / Video Cameras
Jewelry making
Electroplating
Computer Lab
IBM Mainframes computers
Including: programming, Servers, pen testing
3D Modeling Software
CADD, Solidworks, MasterCAM, ect
Universal Quantum Computer

Additional Recreational Amenities:
Arcade
Laser Tag
Bowling Ally – single lane
Recreation Room

Last edited:
LOVE this idea-- a few of its features also happen at SELEM.. but very limited ... where ever it does happen a LEM for it would be a no-brainer.
I will look around in Houston.

Encap

Too bad it's not near me!

It is not near anyone.

Is a Go Fund me daydream/make believe place in Winston-Salem NC? :crackup:

The idiot that put up that Go Fund Me program wants $259 Million to do it so far has $176.00 dollars pledged----is a bad joke.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Too bad they can't get their "Go Fund Me" to work like our rep system, they'd be funded in no time. :crackup:

A single location anywhere would do 99% of us no good anyway.

Last edited:
I thought it sounded a lot like a scam. Turns out your first impression is often the best one.

Gazen

Sounds too good to be true, there is no way it will be funded 250 million. From your go fund me it sounds like the facilities already exist, make sure you clarify that they don’t.

Last edited:

badscr

The price tag is up there with amusement parks and they exist. Where is Our amusement park? There is not one :(
Will never run a mile if you never run the first inch. The $176 is the first inch.
It was a Crazy pipe dream that Walt Disney had.

A standard size extended-stay hotel costs $27 Million to build.
Equipment is not cheap.
Lab grade lasers $159,000
Picosecond Event Time-Correlated Single Photon Counting (TCSPC) data acquisition is $110,000 and then still need Photodetectors and electrical filters another $17,000.
Each optical bench (Without Optomechanics) $43,797 each and they have to be hooded.
Mounted lenses cost from $66 to $335 each

Last edited:
I don't understand why you would come here looking for donations, if you have such deep pockets around you, no way you are going to get much out of this group, not going to make a scratch in the cost, not worth your time here unless you hope your post will be read by someone who is in industry and happens to check out this forum, but you would have a better chance of getting hit with lightning.

I've checked out badscr who is active on other forums and appears legit, but are you the same guy.

Last edited:

badscr

A single location anywhere would do 99% of us no good anyway.

$600 round trip airfare to PTI
(that hurts a little. I was willing to fly to CA to use a CNC. Sadly, it was the hotel and car rental that pushed it over the edge of nope)

$29 to $36 month membership
Free shuttle services.
On-site hotel that is Free Stay for 7 nights.
Free rental car for use to goto a store (more for food).

Last edited:

badscr

Alaskan your post about https://laserpointerforums.com/f49/anyone-here-grind-lenses-102320.html

The OptiSonic 500 grinder and UFF300 Polisher can make that lens. That is just one point about it, To give people access and the ability to do/make stuff like that. That lens is considered as "Freeform lens".

This thread has me kick started trying to find something like this lens, so far nothing found.
Update: I checked with Edumdoptics using their online chat, they don't have anything like this lens as a one lens solution,......

Last edited:
That would be great to have a place like that to go to, if within driving distance, maybe others would take time off and go there to play, I don't know. Build it and they will come?

Later I realized that lens is simple a single piece cylinder pair, easier just to buy a pair of cylinders instead of a single lens like that which would be very expensive, unless, of course, you could make it :)

As absolutely amazing as something like this would be, this is a total pipe dream. 250 MILLION? I understand that something like this is going to cost a lot, but you're not going to raise $250M from crowdfunding. Not counting cryptocurrencies and the blockchain fad, Starcitizen is the largest crowdfunded project EVER at ~$180M (IIRC).

I fully support this idea, but it is 100% unrealistic to expect it to be crowdfunded. The "maker" fad has already passed, and there just aren't enough citizen scientists to support a project of this scale. The only way something like this would happen is if you got some sort of government funding, or if it was a billionaire's pet project.

I'll be surprised if it breaks $100k tbh.