Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser goggles! Which should I buy?

This is extremely dodgy, it's kind of sneakily getting you to buy it under false pretenses, and then when you were forgivably fooled into thinking these offered decent protection, they can say "oh yeah you missed the one sentence - but it is not 532nm goggles."

:/

What protection can $7 really offer you?

EDIT: (Can't believe I almost missed this)

*takes off glasses*

looks kinda shady to me

Double pun.

I'll be on all night.

Last edited:
Okay I'm confused

Protection Goggles Anti-Green/Blue/Violet - $7.00 : Laserlands

It says antigreen with a picture of a green laser in demonstration, but it say's not 532nm so what the hell is goind on, can I use these or not?
I might get these, was planning to buy the same from focalprice but their registration is down and I do not have all the time in the world.

Will these be good if I were to wear them while burning stuff?

I do not need something that I am going to try and shine my laser in any mirror or eye with, just something that I can use that can take down the brightness a bit and will be safe for my eyes..

Edit: Ordered the goggles, Hope for the best!

Last edited:
Dude did you read my whole message? You're talking about your eyes, they deserve better than $7.

Also it states "but it is not 532nm goggles" so most likely these goggles are some sort of scam anyway.

Order some different goggles.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/cheap-anti-green-goggles-focalprice-o-like-43109.html

Here you can find some tests i made with the focalprice ones.

Also another user made similar tests, but i was unable to find the other post (i forgot the title, sorry)

Are the ones that looks more "red" , not the light orange ones.

So should a reflected 150mW green beam hit me in the eye whilst wearing these, these will protect me yeah?

I read your post, but I want to be sure

Between the goggles and your avert reflex, you are very likely to avoid eye injury, unless somehow the goggles don't get in the path, such as falling off, going over lens, etc.

Please remember, Safety goggles are a wise precaution, and careful planning and care in use of any powerful tool, lasers included & your judgment and care in setting up the area, (clearing pets and other people from the area of use), and thinking about the alignment, possible reflections etc. can save yours & others' eyes and maybe even your camera(s) from damage. -Glenn

Last edited:
Yeah yeah totally, I mean obviously common sense is the key to being safe here...but assuming only momentary exposure (my relfexes as you said would stop me looking), I would be safe with them?

It's just I want to be sure, $8 doesn't really seem right. then again I have no experience with goggles before so I really don't know (which Is why I'm asking...)

tl;dr: Can I buy http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/cheap-anti-green-goggles-focalprice-o-like-43109.html these goggles, and are you sure these $8 will protect me should a reflected beam hit me? (and I look away quickly)

HIMNL9

They CAN protect your eyes from reflections from shining surfaces, as this is the main purpose of these goggles (protect the eyes from a reflex, until you turn your head, or go out from the reflex, as any person do instinctively when got hit from a reflex, i mean) ..... they CANNOT protect your eyes if you intentionally point the laser in your eyes and stay there until the lens is melted (but i assume that this is not your intention, or at least so i hope ;)), or if you plan to use them for do optical alignment on high power units, keeping the face at the same level of the beam (for this specific work, there are face masks with special filtering windows, goggles are not enough)

So, basically, yes, they are enought for that what you want ..... just be sure to get the ones with the black plastic frame and the lenses that look dark orange / almost red, and not the light orange ones (there's someone that sell as "laser protection goggles" also safety goggles for grinders ..... these ones have the entire body, including the frame, made with light orange transparent plastic, and are NOT a protection against lasers).

As far as i can see from the links that you have posted, the ones that focalprice sell, are the 16$ ones from laserland (you can see this from their pics, the cheapest ones left pass some green, where instead the more dark ones left pass only the infrared part)

About the infrared part, this is another reason for not point the laser at your eyes intentionally ..... the goggles cannot stop infrareds, but from the pointer, infrared is not focused at the same way than green (usually, when the green beam is focused to infinite, the infrared part diverge almost 3 degrees, at least in the modules that i have), so, it can be dangerous also with goggles, if you point the laser at your eyes from short distance, where instead, a reflection from some distance, send in your eyes too less infrareds for be dangerous.

KiLLrB

Yeah yeah totally, I mean obviously common sense is the key to being safe here...but assuming only momentary exposure (my relfexes as you said would stop me looking), I would be safe with them?...

10 mW is class IIIb you are describing classIIIa or even IIa (blink reflex)
http://laserpointerforums.com/w/index.php?title=Laser_safety&action=edit&section=20Class IIIb

Lasers in this class may cause damage if the beam enters the eye directly. This generally applies to lasers powered from 5–500 mW. Lasers in this category can cause permanent eye damage with exposures of 1/100th of a second or less depending on the strength of the laser. A diffuse reflection is generally not hazardous but specular reflections can be just as dangerous as direct exposures. Protective eyewear is recommended when direct beam viewing of Class IIIb lasers may occur. Lasers at the high power end of this class may also present a fire hazard and can lightly burn skin.

I emailed Jack about his goggles:

I'm not sure when we'll get more glasses in stock.
The source I was going through went out of business and I'm having a
hard time finding a replacement vendor.
We won't be affected by the holiday as our pen pointers and RPL
portable systems are in stock here in the US already. The Viasho group
buy order (if that's what you're interested in) will be placed the
middle of this week and I'm told they will be shipped before the
holiday, so even those will be unaffected.

I just need somebody to give me a working link to an inexpensive pair of goggles that I can safely use to protect my eyes.

There are a lot of sellers selling them, and I don't know which to go for.