Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Fusion -- Coming soon??? [Text/Description Heavy]

^^^Actually I do find that to be true. I just love the blackberry because I can feel when a button is pressed (vibration is not quite the same thing) and I can basically type out a message blind on bb9700.

With the samsung, I'm still getting used to it, I'm sure in a few months I won't be using the physical keyboard at all. I just miss the days when I could type "Meeting, busy, ttyl." without lifting my head from the pillow.

rhd

You'll find the same thing with the virtual keyboards like Swype. Your thumb gets used to the distance from the edges of the phone body. Since Swype only requires one hand to type with, and since you no longer have to hit each key, there's a lot more flexibility for you to be "off" and have it still detect the right word.

Frankly, I don't know how anyone could ever stand to use something like the iPhone. I had one for 2 years, and it was a piece of garbage compared to the Android. That iPhone OS is lightyears behind Android. I think on iPhone you still have to type/press each individual key, which means you probably still use both hands to type on the iPhone, very much like on the BlackBerry.

I couldn't do it- I couldn't use anything but an Android at this point.

^^^Pretty sure you can install swype on ios, but yeah, it never even occurred to me to use an iphone.

My hate relationship with Apple started back when the first ipod came out, and they blocked it from playing wma files. About half of my music at the time was in wma so it pissed me off greatly.

Looking at apple businesses practices since then, they have only gotten worse. As for the phone itself, it has absolutely nothing over other phones, well except for brilliant marketing which morons just eat up - I don't get it.

Btw, if you have the time, download the futurama s07e03, you'll enjoy it, trust me;)

Ezcal

NIF is the furthest along in testing. ITER is way behind in comparison ;) but they are all chasing the same goal.. I don't get why they don't all just collaborate.. Silly scientists.

EVO 3D looks cool. I've fallen in love with my Thunderbolt though. I'm installing Ubuntu on it as we speak :p hahaha. My 3G speeds are in the neighborhood of 3 megabits but 4G speeds have gotten from 15 to 20... insanity...

They're furthest along in terms of practical tests, for sure... But since ITER is a collaboration between seven of the biggest countries in the world, they're basically just working on perfecting the technology in order to teach the rest of the world about it. It's not going to be a power plant, rather a research facility.

I can't wait to see what they accomplish when construction is finished.

They're furthest along in terms of practical tests, for sure... But since ITER is a collaboration between seven of the biggest countries in the world, they're basically just working on perfecting the technology in order to teach the rest of the world about it. It's not going to be a power plant, rather a research facility.

I can't wait to see what they accomplish when construction is finished.

That's exactly what NIF is doing and exactly why I stand by my original point everyone should just work on it together! Why have two completely separate entities doing the exact same tests without collaboration?? People can be so stubborn sometimes...

midias

I live near the Omega laser I am fairly sure it produces fusion.

It is UV and produces 60 terawatts onto a target less than 1 millimeter in diameter.

I live near the Omega laser I am fairly sure it produces fusion.

It is UV and produces 60 terawatts onto a target less than 1 millimeter in diameter.

OMEGA is a little older than the NIF facility (both have out-of-date laser systems). OMEGA made breakthroughs first (I think they achieved fusion first actually) but the NIF lasers put out 2+ times as much energy as the OMEGA lasers and passed them in research terms (milestones etc).

OMEGA also has stopped doing the same research as NIF. They are researching fast ignition rather than the slower burn that the NIF facility is producing. Fast ignition is more of an elusive goal but supposedly it's more efficient. NIF's path is "more" viable.

That's cool that you live near that laser you should go by the facility and see if they'll give you a tour!!