Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser for my cat, which wavelength?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zar

I'm pretty sure he meant dichro.

Sorry but to me dichro means nothing other than "double color" I couldn't imagine what exactly you mean, but what I mean is two prisms back to back that combine two beams into one.

Zar

Dichro is short for Dichroic mirror - a mirror that will transmit certain colors while reflecting others. It's used to combine beams of different colors into one beam such as here:
http://nqlasers.com/scannerreference/images/1/1c/Arrangement.png

Oh that's what it means, very smart way to combine the beams there, nice!
Still too much work tho.. Did anyone accomplish a while laser yet?

Why not do some research?

Start here

Also you may be thinking PBS (polarized beam splitter)

not the point of the thread and don't really care about it, what he posted is enough I don't need more details and when I do ill find my own articles, thanx

Last edited:

Zar

Svenvbins, if most of my post didn't make sense to you then maybe you should spend more time in university than at your computer, you are ignorant, and even though this is strictly against my character to explain things, ill treat you like a little kid and explain to you what I meant
This reply is specific to this gentleman, so everyone else just ignore it.

Your avatar quite accurately represents my state of mind after reading your post.

You do know that "heat" IR is about 4-14 times longer than most lasers discussed here when it concerns IR? (around 4-14 um, instead of ~1064nm, and even then the red discussed is still far below that)
Basically, forget anything about IR being 'heat' in this context - except maybe when you plan to point a CO2 laser at your cat.

EDIT: Right, I remember better now. The IR 'heat' I'm talking about is the (deep-IR) light we humans emit due to our body temperature. The sun emits at this wavelength too, but it's absolutely dwarfed by the amount of visible light it emits. Also see Blackbody Spectrum 2.02
you are so clueless man, "EDIT, I REMEMBER NOW!!" you didn't know now you remember? ANYWAY hate aside, your claims are limited to whatever you find on the internet, i don't need to see any of your links, thanks, I have textbooks on this stuff. I am not going to post sources because its all in my head, but then again you can just google it to see if im right, so google IR and heat. Entire IR spectrum irradiates heat of every kind and every spectrum, a molten metal is red in color, it gets so hot that it nears the visible spectrum :eek: and guess what! We have blue stars that are the hottest, you might say, well hell, what about green stars i sure dont see dose, well there wouldnt be green stars because the red aint going nowhere, it mixes up with other wavelengths to form white stars, and then when the star is super hot and turns blue! *SHOCKED*

Our eye lens blocks low frequencies, so we can't see the others? huH?
Yes, I was talking specifically about the UV spectrum, our eye lens filters out the part of UV that is visible to us, but does not block the part that is invisible to us, but since UV overall hurts us, we look away or wear sun glasses anyway, higher energy UV is taken care of by atmosphere and ozone layer.

Any high power laser, and you're too far gone already anyway.
okay? never denied it, that was my exact point

Say what? 10mW = 10mW, color doesn't make a difference. If anything, green is more dangerous because it is absorbed better into our eyes due to the red cells there. But there's no way there's more energy in a 10mW blue beam than in a 10mW green beam.

talking out of your ass much? :confused:
like I don't even want to explain this to you, I feel like I am feeding a damn troll, but ill just assume you're an utter idiot, this will help me not feel bad about myself, so, ill give you a fact and then an example of that fact, fact is Frequency is directly related to Energy. And example of that fact is a blast of Gamma ray radiation will kill you, and similar power light source like for example Sun - won't. (In case you by some miracle knew that sun also blasts Gamma radiation - our atmosphere protects us from it, hence the charged ozone layer)
Green is the least dangerous color, that's why we have so many cones that can detect it, I don't know what the evolutionary trait was if i had to speculate, but I know that nature doesn't waste energy, and metabolic/developmental processes do not waste energy, so building extra cones knowing sun would kill them off would be a huge waste, and genetically would be excluded from the genome. Same way trees reflect green and absorb red/blue because those have different kinds of adequate energies.

Shorter wavelength light has more energy per photon, and thus can excite to a higher level - or even kick off some electrons that damages cells. (Might be wrong here, this was quite some time ago for me)
However, bond vibrations are typically excited by IR-light (not blue) and by IR light I now mean ~4-14um.
you are so clueless you just completely contradicted yourself in the reply right above this where you claim all wavelengths to be the same energy :crackup:
And okay i mixed those up, you are right IR causes bond vibrations, and higher frequency UV is absorbed by conjugating bonds, excites the electrons to higher shells, making molecules more reactive and unstable, causing potential mutations in DNA, that's why the UV is dangerous, so it burs too, but what is scarier is that it burns much worse and cause much more damage, think sauna VS tanning bed for 2 hours

:twak:

Last edited:
I would like to refer to your avatar once again.

I won't waste my time on answering all of your points, but

* I never claim all wavelengths are the same energy. I said 10mW = 10mW. You should know that 10mW = 10 milli-joules/second. So, a blue beam at 10mW will need less photons/sec to achieve this power, while a green beam will need slightly more because the energy/photon is lower.

As for the low University comment: Joke's on you, I'm actually a physics student doing his masters thesis on optics, and it's going very well, thank you very much.

I'm not one to quickly attack people online (neither in real life btw), but your original post was so wrong I had to point it out. I think the rest of the people here agree, based on the rep stats I saw you got.
Better go read your textbooks again, and take care of your cat!

Edit:
Mods, don't worry, this won't escalate any further from my point, I've said what I had to and won't add any more.

Last edited:
This is up there on the list of "stupidly useless threads made by fools." Next to the "what do I name my pet?" threads.
edit: Oh noes, he negged me for being off topic!
...too bad your rep does nothing, since you are pretty far buried in the red ;)

Last edited:

Zar

I would like to refer to your avatar once again.

I won't waste my time on answering all of your points, but

* I never claim all wavelengths are the same energy. I said 10mW = 10mW. You should know that 10mW = 10 milli-joules/second. So, a blue beam at 10mW will need less photons/sec to achieve this power, while a green beam will need slightly more because the energy/photon is lower.

As for the low University comment: Joke's on you, I'm actually a physics student doing his masters thesis on optics, and it's going very well, thank you very much.

I'm not one to quickly attack people online (neither in real life btw), but your original post was so wrong I had to point it out. I think the rest of the people here agree, based on the rep stats I saw you got.
Better go read your textbooks again, and take care of your cat!

Edit:
Mods, don't worry, this won't escalate any further from my point, I've said what I had to and won't add any more.

im aware of the amount of photons per second, but it has nothing to do with energy of the frequency, higher frequency will still cause more damage than low frequency, i dont know what kind of off shore community college you attend, but you are still clueless, as per my avatar thats how you feel sitting in your physics lectures lol, but frankly thats how i feel answering you

Last edited:
Sorry I have to also feed into your post despite your advice not to, and I expect you to be mad at me, but I honestly do not care.

You're relating visible light to gamma rays in your post. Thing is, this is the visible spectrum. The only two issues the visible spectrum has on our eyes is power/cm^2 and the blue light hazard.

Higher energy, in this case, will only be more power per photon. Lasers emit light at one wavelength. UV does not factor into buying a laser. Unless you're buying a DPSS laser, neither does IR. Nor microwaves. Nor x-rays. Nor gamma rays. Nor radio waves or what have you. 400nm compared to 700nm will NOT make a life or death difference like xxxnm to a gamma ray will. Just no.

Also, because green is not dangerous, we have more cells in our eyes to detect it? That's ridiculous. What is not dangerous about green? Do you think nature evolves with efficiency in mind? Why the hell do we have an appendix. Do you think nature cares that we have more green cones? Did you know that many animals do not have red cones, making them red-green colorblind? Would a higher quantity not make up for having rods detect brightness in a region barely detectable? FYI, nature did not anticipate the sun killing off its own cells in our eyes.

And another thing why is red more dangerous? I would say red is less if anything because it passes through our bodies more efficiently than other wavelengths. Not by much, but still less.

He did not state that different wavelength photons have the same energies. I see no contradiction in his statements: what he was saying is that bonds are more easily excited by IR light. Some wavelengths are much more easily absorbed than others. This is why we have 'colored' objects, because some colors are absorbed and others are reflected.

You've been mislead. IR is not the physical embodiment of heat. IR is infrared RADIATION. Radiation is transmitted. Transmission occurs due to absorption.

Everything gives off IR. This is how thermal cameras work. How? The same way a stovetop gives off red or orange light. Objects radiate away energy in the form of light corresponding to their temperature. Thermal cameras pick up the subtle difference in frequency and associate that with temperature.

I'll leave the attacks on intelligence to the member in question.

And yes, we understand you want to buy a laser for your cat. Buy one <5mW. End of discussion. Color does not matter. Your cat will not grow a second head or die of radiation poisoning if you buy a purple laser. It will not boil from the outside in if you buy a red one. It will not do both if you buy a green one.

ARG

Zar, if you want to disagree with someone go right ahead, but back up you are saying with facts, not personal attacks.

Last edited:

Zar

Zar, if you want to disagree with someone go right ahead, but back up you are saying with facts, not personal attacks.

Are you blind or forgot how to read? I've backed up every single thing I said with a solid fact.

ARG

Are you blind or forgot how to read? I've backed up every single thing I said with a solid fact.

I was referring to these types of comments, and the one you just made after my warning. There's no need to be rude or condescending towards others in a discussion.
i dont know what kind of off shore community college you attend, but you are still clueless
like I don't even want to explain this to you, I feel like I am feeding a damn troll, but ill just assume you're an utter idiot, this will help me not feel bad about myself
if most of my post didn't make sense to you then maybe you should spend more time in university than at your computer, you are ignorant, and even though this is strictly against my character to explain things, ill treat you like a little kid and explain to you what I meant

Status
Not open for further replies.