Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser drivers with diode and wire sockets for sale

• Thread starter Deleted member 16589
  • Start date
What do you posibly gain in putting a Socket in a hand held laser...:thinking:
You still need to solder 2 connections and a socket takes
up more space in an already cramped space...:thinking:

I use IC sockets for my Electronic builds because the parts plugged
into them are not as sensitive as a Regulated Current Driven Laser
Diode...

Jerry

My only lab diode laser, a GALA laser system from D.O. Industries, uses a socket for it's diode. This laser systems are also used at my university. Lazerman121 mentiones Thorlabs, one of the biggest optics manufactor and supplier, you'll find them in nearly every optics lab, and not just a bit.

But that's all in the lab, for pointers it takes size and money away and they usually have crude drivers. So don't use sockets in a pointer.

"1 5mw violet(blue-ray) laser-eBay stopped working :("

Did you have a socket on that build LMAO?

J/K

Stop beating a dead horse. :horse:

My only lab diode laser, a GALA laser system from D.O. Industries, uses a socket for it's diode. This laser systems are also used at my university. Lazerman121 mentiones Thorlabs, one of the biggest optics manufactor and supplier, you'll find them in nearly every optics lab, and not just a bit.

But that's all in the lab, for pointers it takes size and money away and they usually have crude drivers. So don't use sockets in a pointer.

There you go. Couldn't have said it better myself. Thorlabs is very well-respected, and for someone who is a professional using a socket is fine, especially if the installation is fixed. Pointers are not fixed, but are quite the opposite. Also, as I have said, I have always had the best luck with laser diodes by eliminating every possible cause of death that I can during the build process. This means eliminating any potential problem connections, i.e. sockets. If you were to drop your pointer while it is on, there is no guarantee that the diode won't slip in the socket a little, causing either a voltage sag or spike for a fraction of a ms, killing the diode. The only way to ensure that this cannot happen is to use a good solid solder joint.