Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Circle

Oh right. This old problem... I'm never sure how to word it. I'll try once again :p What application are the diodes being manufactured for? Surely they're not just being manufactured for use in our lasers?

Possibly display devices. I know Mitsubishi has a line of 'laser TV's' that are DLP with laser light sources. But don't think you just found a cheap source of diodes though. Those TV's start at $3k.. and go up. Plus DLP TV's don't need as powerful of a light source compared to projectors either. For instance, comparing the normal mercury lamps most DLP devices use.. DLP TV lamp wattage is 100-120W, while projectors will use 300-400W lamps. So the 'laser TV's will have about 1/3 the diodes in them as you'll find in projectors.

Lase

Oh right. This old problem... I'm never sure how to word it. I'll try once again :p What application are the diodes being manufactured for? Surely they're not just being manufactured for use in our lasers?

Well the DPSS 635's were used for:

• Spectroscopy
• Holography
• Fluorescence excitation
• Semiconductor surface inspection
• Microscopy and diagnostic imaging
• DNA sequencing and analysis

So I'm guessing some of these will use the diodes now as they can get the same powers out of it.

low power (5-10mW) 635's are relatively cheap.. it's when you get 30mW and up that the price starts getting insane if you want good beam specs.

I payed $2000+ for 10 9mm 635 diodes right before the mitzu's came out. I'm kicking myself now.

Lase

Possibly display devices. I know Mitsubishi has a line of 'laser TV's' that are DLP with laser light sources. But don't think you just found a cheap source of diodes though. Those TV's start at $3k.. and go up. Plus DLP TV's don't need as powerful of a light source compared to projectors either. For instance, comparing the normal mercury lamps most DLP devices use.. DLP TV lamp wattage is 100-120W, while projectors will use 300-400W lamps. So the 'laser TV's will have about 1/3 the diodes in them as you'll find in projectors.

Well, bearing in mind you just told me where they came from, I'd sort of expect that if it was feasible as a cheap source of diodes you'd have jumped on it before I'd have known about it :p

But, that's interesting. Is there hope for them to supply us with diodes sometime in the future, or is this variety of laser product pretty much a dead end?

Well I don't *know* mitsu's laser DLP tv's uses these particular 635's.. it was just a guess. I've never had one of those apart, so all I know about their light engines is that 'they use lasers' I'd be more interested in the green source in then myself though. I know the divergence on these particular 635's is crappy enough to not interest me a whole lot. But the green is interesting because it'd have to be super stable.

I think we need to donate money to get someone on the forum to buy one and disassemble.