Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Building, Eyesight, Magnification, and Lighting

OK, guys, forgive me, I have not been around for a while. So here it is. My eyesight is not quite what it was. I never wore glasses. It is now harder for me to see what I am doing with the naked eye. I have tried the stuff you wear on your head but with increased magnification, as you know, you have to get to close. there are the surgical ones but they are a bit pricey.

What I want to know is if anyone has worked with some of those table combo light magnifiers that both magnify and light the work. I thought it might be impracticle, that you have to move it around or up and down....anyway, I have never tried it. I know that Ot light makes a bunch of them.

Any experience and

Yes sir.. as I approach 60, I relate to this well. soldering wires to diode legs has become challenging, and driver boards keep shrinking... so yes, an articulating magnifier lamp is a necessity.

I actually found the large desk mounted magnifier difficult to work with. The lack of binocular vision made it difficult to judge depth and perspective. It was frustrating.

Have you tried some cheap reading glasses? Ever since I reached my 40's my up close detail vision has been degrading at an alarming rate. I had no idea how blind I was until I put on a pair of readers. I was amazed at the detail I was missing. Normal vision restored and no need to get your nose too close to that soldering iron. ;)

PS. you can buy reading glasses at the $ store. A $1 solution to the problem is tough to beat.

Good for you, Ted. That was going to be my suggestion, but you beat me to it.

Not sure if you are interested but there are a large number of arm-mounted camera systems that hook up to a TV, with zoom and focus controls. Just hook up a TV behind your work space, set the camera over your work piece and Presto! a lot of electronics guys use these systems for soldering small chip legs and micro resistors, might help you out...