Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser build for reprap 3D printer

Hi all,

After wandering a while over the internet to find a laser to modify a 3d printer, I finally arrived on this forum.

As I just told, I try to add a laser engraver/cutter to my prusa I3 3d printer.

I need to control it with a 12v signal (that is the voltage sent by the board).

All I have found on the internet are ttl blue lasers that only accept 5v max for the signal.

I have benn thinking about adding a voltage regulator to reduce the signal as a LM7805, but I don't even know if it would work.

The other solution would be to build my own driver, but I don't really have the knowledge to do so.

If someone had any comments/ideas and advice for a cheap but reliable solution, it would be great.

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

After wandering a while over the internet to find a laser to modify a 3d printer, I finally arrived on this forum.

As I just told, I try to add a laser engraver/cutter to my prusa I3 3d printer.

I need to control it with a 12v signal (that is the voltage sent by the board).

All I have found on the internet are ttl blue lasers that only accept 5v max for the signal.

I have benn thinking about adding a voltage regulator to reduce the signal as a LM7805, but I don't even know if it would work.

The other solution would be to build my own driver, but I don't really have the knowledge to do so.

If someone had any comments/ideas and advice for a cheap but reliable solution, it would be great.

Thanks in advance

Very interesting idea, adding a laser engraver to a 3D printer, making it kinda like a "2-in-1" 3D printer/engraver :p

A voltage regulator would work to power a lower voltage laser module, a higher powered red module would work for engraving, but just remember you'll have to re-focus the module every time you change the distance between the laser and the target.

As for powering straight off of 12v, you could probably try finding a labby module and go straight off 12v, but you would need to keep down the heat with a heat sink of some sort, but you'll also have to do so if you use a lower voltage module.

diachi

Very interesting idea, adding a laser engraver to a 3D printer, making it kinda like a "2-in-1" 3D printer/engraver :p

A voltage regulator would work to power a lower voltage laser module, a higher powered red module would work for engraving, but just remember you'll have to re-focus the module every time you change the distance between the laser and the target.

As for powering straight off of 12v, you could probably try finding a labby module and go straight off 12v, but you would need to keep down the heat with a heat sink of some sort, but you'll also have to do so if you use a lower voltage module.

OP is talking about reducing the signal voltage for modulation I believe.

OP - Something as simple as this would do for a digital signal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipper_(electronics)

A simple voltage divider should also work. Can be made with a single potentiometer.

If you want to get complicated you could use an Op-Amp with a gain of <1 (Technically an attenuator then, not an amplifier!).

diachi

Thanks for your answer.

In fact the laser is 12v powered, but the signal to activate it through the driver must be 5v as on this one for example :
Online Shop REAL 2000mw/2w 445nm 450nm Focusable blue Laser Module diode High Power laser Engraving TT L DIY CNC Adjust Free glasses|Aliexpress Mobile

The problem is that the signalast from the printer board is 12v and will fry the driver.

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant. Options presented in my post should all be viable.

To be fair - a quality built driver should have something built in to clip signal voltages that are too high and prevent damage.

Ok, thanks. I'll start looking at it.
My electronic knowledge is basic ++ if I can say.
I will need to check what the signal looks like on the printer output. Luckily I was given a oscilloscope a few weeks ago! :)