Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser as raccoon deterrent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diachi

??? :crackup:

This thread has to be a joke, if not, hire a professional.

Moronic little kid solutions are not going to be real solutions.

Maybe try something like:

Maybe try being a little nicer to people rather than calling them morons... The guy is just asking a question.

:thinking:

No, this is a serious question. It's not a food issue; they've been using parts of my yard as a latrine. It's gotten to the point where I can't let my dogs out without the risk of a serious confrontation. I'd like to deter them humanely, and I've researched lots of options and have tried a variety of them with limited success. I did do a search here before I posted and only found one related set of posts, and it seemed to be about a guy on a bicycle. I'm not a troll or a kid, just a guy with a problem trying to think of out-of-the-box options.

Call a pest control company and have them trapped by a have a heart trap and they move them to a more rural area. Lasers are not a good idea cause once the laser/s are off they'll just come back. Need to call pest control. that is the best solution as well as most humane

Bacon

Me thinks a group of blind raccoons would be a whole new set of problems. :undecided:

Most people I know that have a decent amount of land either trap & relocate "pests" or shoot them. Would be hard to kill raccoons though because they are kind of cool; unless they were attacking pets or something.

lpp17x

Thanks for the advice. Re: the automatic light -- unfortunately that doesn't work with these raccoons. I know hiring professionals is probably the right approach, but it is very pricey (I've had to do it before for some animals in the attic issues), and I would probably have to do it every couple of years. I was hoping for a "teach a man to fish" solution instead of a "buy a fish" solution if that makes sense. Anyway, I don't need generalized raccoon advice; I have plenty of that. It's pretty clear that my question is either a terrible, terrible idea or super taboo to discuss on these forums. In any case, it's pretty clear that no legit discussion will be had here -- sorry for the disturbance.

Here's a link to the thing that got me thinking about this (obviously this is designed for birds, and not a system designed for any sane residential application but it sparked some ideas):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5fkixXNDVQ
And the hand-held version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhUp6myIHAk

Thanks for the advice. Re: the automatic light -- unfortunately that doesn't work with these raccoons. I know hiring professionals is probably the right approach, but it is very pricey (I've had to do it before for some animals in the attic issues), and I would probably have to do it every couple of years. I was hoping for a "teach a man to fish" solution instead of a "buy a fish" solution if that makes sense. Anyway, I don't need generalized raccoon advice; I have plenty of that. It's pretty clear that my question is either a terrible, terrible idea or super taboo to discuss on these forums. In any case, it's pretty clear that no legit discussion will be had here -- sorry for the disturbance.

Here's a link to the thing that got me thinking about this (obviously this is designed for birds, and not a system designed for any sane residential application but it sparked some ideas):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5fkixXNDVQ
And the hand-held version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhUp6myIHAk

It's not that at all. . I feel for ya I had a rabid coon enter our boarding kennel when we used to breed and board dogs. The worse scenario was to shoot it. I hate shooting animals but I didn't want to have my dogs get rabies or us. You may have to shoot them,, I don't know. did you try ultrasonic type of deterrent? If you are out in the country or can use the laser so no one else will have exposure to the beam why not give it a shot. I mean maybe someone who was thinking of putting music on a plastic disc with a laser could have been laughed at treated like you were. who knows. maybe you will come up with another laser use. I don't know. but try it and see what happens. what's the worse that can happen, especially if you live in the sticks like I do? I sometimes get laughed at but still carry on. Do it. at least you will know if it will work or not. A lof of folks on here don't want to see any laws or more legislation against lasers to where this hobby will be needing licenses and permits to have any laser more than a puny milliwatt like in Europe and some folks are afraid if you do something out of the box it will bring governmental focus on our fairly easy relatively cheap hobby. So when someone gets a little annoyed keep that in mind I first took offense at a lot of people here but realize that we all want to keep our lasers safe and unregulated as much as possible and some folks here honestly don't want to see you or anyone get hurt.

Maybe try being a little nicer to people rather than calling them morons... The guy is just asking a question.

Whadaya mean be nice (civil) this is the internet. It's the place where one can shoot off their mouths without consideration you are talking to another human.

Encap

Yeah OK I get it, agreed, removed it. However, how else would you characterize "squirt gun full of diluted hot sauce"--very professional and humane animal control?

Either way this isn't a "racoon detergent forum" and the OP has been given the same "laser bad idea" considered opinion and advice by knowledgeable members 6 or more times in between jokes about it.
Asked for advice, and then dismissed all advice as "not a legit discussion" because he saw lasers to deter birds, a completely different almost completely not related Class/Order/Family/Genus /Species of animal on You Tube University + there are 700,000 hits on goggle if you goggle "racoon deterrent"

Go figure...

Doesn't smell right as has already mentioned in post #5.

Last edited:
Yeah OK I get it, agreed, removed it. However, how else would you characterize "squirt gun full of diluted hot sauce"--very professional and humane animal control?

Either way this isn't a "racoon detergent forum" and the OP has been given the same "laser bad idea" considered opinion and advice by knowledgeable members 6 or more times in between jokes about it.
Asked for advice, and then dismissed all advice as "not a legit discussion" because he saw lasers to deter birds, a completely different almost completely not related Class/Order/Family/Genus /Species of animal on You Tube University + there are 700,000 hits on goggle if you goggle "racoon deterrent"

Go figure...

Doesn't smell right as has already mentioned in post #5.

I don't know. but some of the nastiness I see on here and other forums. that no one would ever think of talking to someone in person like that. If they did they may get a knuckle sandwich and it would be most deserving. It is so easy to be nasty sitting behind an Ipad or computer. IfI see a post that is stupid or annoying, I would just ignore it. If I have nothing nice to say, it's better to not say it. but I was brought up old school.. now a days God help us

If they did they may get a knuckle sandwich and it would be most deserving.

You live in an area where name-calling is met with physical violence? And you condone this response as reasonable? And you still claim the moral high ground here?

You live in an area where name-calling is met with physical violence? And you condone this response as reasonable? And you still claim the moral high ground here?

Totally totally missed my point. What i was saying was,,,,, that if people anywhere (should have clarified better my bad) talked to EACH OTHER the way they do on here and more so on Facebook you'd get a knuckle sandwich. that is what I meant I DO NOT condone violence absolutely not I am very sorry I didn't clarify myself better. Tom.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.