Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lamp (Light bulb) Photos

According to this thread, your fluorescent tube is either NOT efficient, NOT 90 CRI, or NOT halophosphor. We ditched halophosphor for a reason.

deluxe halophosphor tubes wth excellent CRI existed for decades, before triphosphor became common. Efficiency was a small trade off, but some assert that even today the light quality of certain deluxe halos remain unsurpassed. Some of the replies on that thread are also spreading misinformation about high CRI with halophosphor not being possible; but such misinformation is what I've come to expect. Certain deluxe halo tubes attained an almost complete spectrum of 100 CRI.

That tube has over 90% CRI (92, I think) and was designed for use in art galleries and hospitals. It has higher CRI still than most triphosphor tubes in use today, which are between 80 and 90%. The trade off for deluxe hi fidelity halophosphor tubes was indeed less efficiency. I've never tried deluxe warm white, but I'm quite a fan of warm white 29 so I'm eager to see if I'd prefer it over 830.

About the SOX lamp:

..."but their efficacy is still unsurpassed by any other man made lighting technology today."

Look into sulfur arc lamps. Even more efficient than SOX. They tend to suffer from very short electrode life though so some of the newer types are RF pumped.

SOX sure are pretty though, especially when they're warming up.

Never heard of them. I've only heard of carbon arc lamps. The fact that they are short lived is probably why sox is considered the most efficient (perhaps I should have used the term efficiency over efficacy) over the long term. Approaching 200 lumens per watt and sometimes exceeding it in the case of 131W SOX-E

Last edited:

The sulphur lamp use a small quartz sphere filled with pure sulphur and argon gas as a buffer then a 2.45Ghz magnetron pumps it with microwaves inside a faraday cage .

PLASMA INTERNATIONAL LIGHTING SYSTEMS

Rated <140lm/W
Lamp Life , >99,000Hrs
Magnetron , >40,000Hrs

Last edited:
Look into sulfur arc lamps. Even more efficient than SOX.

They were never viable as arc lamps because of the corrosive nature of hot sulfur. They're all plasma (not arc) lamps.

The first prototype lamps were 5.9 kW units, with a system efficiency of 80 lumens per watt.[1] The first production models were 96.4 lumens per watt. Later models were able to eliminate the cooling fan and improve luminous efficacy to 100 lumens per watt.[2]

This standard LPS lamp is 177 lm/W

I ran the numbers, and they don't check out.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
I'll have to find the ads for them in one of my old Lighting Design magazines. GE was claiming 250+ lm/w from sulfur arc lamps rated for 1000 hours of use for stage lighting.

That wiki is pretty out of date. But that being said, no, they were never very practical for anything but specialty lighting. I'd still love to have one of those bulbs for my collection though!

Cree claims to have demonstrated over 300 lm/w in the lab with their LEDs. I see some really outrageous flashlights in the not too distant future.

Here we go again. My friend sent me a package of some lamps, first up is a "test tube" lamp he made himself, with a glowbottle starter and capacitive ballast. works really well.

Peters%20test%20tube%20lamp_zpszpv4v8pe.jpg

Philips TL8W/08 woods glass BLB lamp, pukka quality from the days of old:

TL8W%20BLB%20lit_zpsnsr6hxck.jpg

Philips MLR160 a self ballast mercury vapour lamp with a clear top. I really like this one

Philips%20MLR160%20switch%20on-2_zpszwd6ylij.jpg

looks ace next to this Osram Truelite, a bigger reflector lamp in my collection with a deluxe coating and without the ballast filament:

IMG_6065_zps3z2mgkzx.jpg

Why does the... "capacitive ballast" use two large power resistors? Are you sure you don't mean resistive ballast?

Actually, no.

From the horses mouth, it is capacitive.

Something about it being a capacitive dropper and the resistors being there to soften the blow if the lamp is connected mid peak.

Last edited:

Benm

You can see the orange/red capacitor case just poking out of the connector.

The resistors are just inrush limiters, and usually double as fuses of sorts, though the latter isn't really needed with a gas discharge tube like this (it would not short out like a series string of LED's might).

Got some new shit. A whole lot of rare stuff was basically given to me for free by a fellow collector who has run into problems and is shrinking his collection. Some amazing stuff in here.

Royal%20Ediswan%20230V%20100W%20gas%20pearl%20carbon%20heater_zps2njqhb9n.jpg

Royal Ediswan Radiator Lamp. I checked with my phone's LED and the filament looks intact. If I'm not mistaken, this will be right around 100 years old.

GEC%2060W%20SLI%20full%20tube___zpspug7n4li.jpg

An SLI lamp - these predate SOX lamps! They use G13 connectors like a T12 fluorescent lamp.

Cosmos%20Metrovick%20lamp%202_zpsadb8v8qt.jpg

A lovely old Metropolitan Vickers "MetroVick" tungsten lamp with pip at the top.

Mazda%20MA-V%20250W_zpskhsdpnle.jpg

A 250W MA/V. I gather they're more common in the 400W size.

Osram%20drawn%20tungsten%20lamp%20inverted__zpskzkezov7.jpg

A mega oldie! Osram/GEC drawn tungsten "squirrel cage" lamp.

Mazda%20BTH%20250V%2025W%20incandescent_zpsfpfeor0q.jpg

Mazda BTH (British Thomson Houston) 25W lamp. The box on the side lists the common wattages and their suggested uses.

philips%20home%20light%2038cm%20deluxe%20ww%20t12_zpsttngo2ut.jpg

Philips "home light" tiny 14W T12 tube. Deluxe warm white 3000K, an American size.

atlas%202ft%2040W%20white%20dbl%20life%20tube_zpszg9lswr4.jpg

A 2 foot fluorescent tube. The inset image reveals that it is the 40W type, not the expected 20W. These, in the UK at least, saw use in outside sign lights and small fluorescent street lights (such as the Thorn Beta 6) where the higher running temperature of the 40W was optimal for our colder weather.

IMG_6279_zpsumjeycoz.jpg

medium pressure mercury lamps. I am so lucky to own these. The OSRAM one on the left, is of a later design than the more basic Mazda (200) and (400) Watts on the right.

IMG_6289_zpsqzo7ohmw.jpg

Fluorescence fun. An 8W BLB tube fluoresces the phosphor of some coated mercury lamps, causes the capsule of a tungsten-halogen GLS lamp to glow, and others.

LOADS more on my photobucket! I am unfortunately unable to grow the collection much further as I am moving countries soon . Aside from my lamps I don't own much else so it's really my only guilty pleasure.

joeyss

I really wish I had LPS lamp with a ballast but even to get a low wattage one and a ballast is alot.

Since I have a 589nm laser I love that color and I want to light my room with one at night. It's relaxing and it feels so natural.

Last edited:
If I may contribute to this thread:

7AdlAlhl.jpg

I have a "vintage" style lightbulb in my desk lamp that I finally got around to taking a nice picture of. As much as I appreciate the efficiency of LEDs, theres just no beating the aesthetic of an incandescent coil.

If I may contribute to this thread:
As much as I appreciate the efficiency of LEDs, theres just no beating the aesthetic of an incandescent coil.

So true !
I love looking through these images, nice pics everyone.

Here's a couple I took while testing out my 65mm, 1-5x Macro lens.
I had to really dim the little 12v globe to get these images.

:can:

fillament.jpg

fillament-2.jpg

:D

Got some new shit. A whole lot of rare stuff was basically given to me for free by a fellow collector who has run into problems and is shrinking his collection. Some amazing stuff in here.

Nice linear SOX lamp , I have three of the 200W ones

I'm still collecting SOX and Mercury stuff , currently have 7 Philips 135/180W SOX ballasts : D

Last edited:
Nice linear SOX lamp , I have three of the 200W ones

I'm still collecting SOX and Mercury stuff , currently have 7 Philips 135/180W SOX ballasts : D

Are you known in the lighting community?

I couldn't in good faith recommend it, by and large they're a bunch of antisocial egotistical losers, particularly in the case of the UK community whom I get on with almost none of.