Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

lab style heatsink finished

DTMF

Re: lab style heatsink teaser

i have thought of way's to include a peltier . if leave the top flat you could just put the TEC on top and have an extra plate to go ontop to cool the hotside .

I wouldn't worry about mounting screw hole sizes, the module I have that is only slightly bigger than yours has 1mm screw holes in the bottom, I am actually having to use 1mm PC screws so I can mount it.

Heres what I have, its very similar to your design.
http://www.dragonlasers.com/catalog/532nm-Green-Laser-Module-50mW-p-16198.html

The back of the heatsink has som fins on it and a 20mm fan. Because of the size a fan is fine. Maybe just do something similar to that.

Or perhaps even make a universal heatsink? Drill all the holes into the heatsink that people could use, that way they have the option of which cooling they wish to use.

DTMF

lamborgini8 said:
I wouldn't worry about mounting screw hole sizes, the module I have that is only slightly bigger than yours has [highlight]1mm screw holes in the bottom[/highlight], I am actually having to use 1mm PC screws so I can mount it.

The back of the heatsink has som fins on it and a 20mm fan. Because of the size a fan is fine. Maybe just do something similar to that.

Or perhaps even make a universal heatsink? [highlight]Drill all the holes into the heatsink that people could use[/highlight], that way they have the option of which cooling they wish to use.

the problem with having the mounting hole's on the bottom is you can't adjust the heatsink and if you have it mounted to a mounting plate and installed in a case you have to pull it apart to move or change the module . on mine that won't be a problem and the setscrew is also on the top ;)

if i did that it would look like swiss chease :-?

DTMF said:
[quote author=lamborgini8 link=1235695394/16#17 date=1236157736]I wouldn't worry about mounting screw hole sizes, the module I have that is only slightly bigger than yours has [highlight]1mm screw holes in the bottom[/highlight], I am actually having to use 1mm PC screws so I can mount it.

Or perhaps even make a universal heatsink? [highlight]Drill all the holes into the heatsink that people could use[/highlight], that way they have the option of which cooling they wish to use.

the problem with having the mounting hole's on the bottom is you can't adjust the heatsink and if you have it mounted to a mounting plate and installed in a case you have to pull it apart to move or change the module . on mine that won't be a problem and the setscrew is also on the top  ;)

if i did that it would look like swiss chease  :-?[/quote]

If people intend on using a heatsink like yours in a scanner its going to be on a mounting plate anyway. There is absolutely no way that you can screw it down to the bass plate and it will be the right height. Mine is on a mounting plate now and I can just take one screw off and the whole laser head slides off its mount.

DTMF

lamborgini8 said:
[quote author=DTMF link=1235695394/16#18 date=1236213154][quote author=lamborgini8 link=1235695394/16#17 date=1236157736]I wouldn't worry about mounting screw hole sizes, the module I have that is only slightly bigger than yours has [highlight]1mm screw holes in the bottom[/highlight], I am actually having to use 1mm PC screws so I can mount it.

the problem with having the mounting hole's on the bottom is you can't adjust the heatsink and if you have it mounted to a mounting plate and installed in a case you have to pull it apart to move or change the module . on mine that won't be a problem and the setscrew is also on the top  ;)

If people intend on using a heatsink like yours in a scanner its going to be on a mounting plate anyway. [highlight]There is absolutely no way that you can screw it down to the bass plate and it will be the right height. [/highlight]Mine is on a mounting plate now and I can just take one screw off and the whole laser head slides off its mount.[/quote]

this is true for any heatsink . with the mounting slot's on top it make's it easy to make adjustment's to the height of the module with shim's . i am making these to my own spec's for my spiro and offering the rest up for those who need / want them too . if i make more i can change the module height to a more universal height

DTMF said:
[quote author=lamborgini8 link=1235695394/16#19 date=1236247075][quote author=DTMF link=1235695394/16#18 date=1236213154][quote author=lamborgini8 link=1235695394/16#17 date=1236157736]I wouldn't worry about mounting screw hole sizes, the module I have that is only slightly bigger than yours has [highlight]1mm screw holes in the bottom[/highlight], I am actually having to use 1mm PC screws so I can mount it.

If people intend on using a heatsink like yours in a scanner its going to be on a mounting plate anyway. [highlight]There is absolutely no way that you can screw it down to the bass plate and it will be the right height. [/highlight]Mine is on a mounting plate now and I can just take one screw off and the whole laser head slides off its mount.[/quote]

this is true for any heatsink . with the mounting slot's on top it  make's it easy to make adjustment's to the height of the module with shim's . i am making these to my own spec's for my spiro and offering the rest up for those who  need / want them too  . if i make more i can change the module height to a more universal  height
[/quote]

Not too sure what you mean by mounting slots on the top in that case?

DTMF

you shall see my friend . it's almost done  :D. the programing took forever . the mounting slot's are not on the top they are on the front and back .@ this point i think this thread is in the wrong spot as i have not posted any more pic's of it  :-/

[highlight]EDIT[/highlight] here's a rough drawing of it . it's not to scale and it look's one of my kid's made it :p i like to use a penceil and paper to make my design's

Attachments

• heatseeker.JPG
    heatseeker.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 81

DTMF said:
you shall see my friend . it's almost done  :D. the programing took forever . the mounting slot's are not on the top they are on the front and back .@ this point i think this thread is in the wrong spot as i have not posted any more pic's of it  :-/

[highlight]EDIT[/highlight] here's a rough drawing of it . it's not to scale and it look's one of my kid's made it  :p  i like to use a penceil and paper to make my design's

MS Paint? :p

Looks good, I like it but I really wouldn't over complicate it. I can see this going down the odd looking triangular heat sink line which as I said looks rediculous and putting a triangular laser head in a scanner just looks stupid.

Back to the mounting holes, do you mean the holes will be in the bottom (underside) if the heatsink? If so, thats what I was trying to get at. But looking at your design you could actually put the mounting holes through the top of the "plate" part on the bottom.

Edit: Theres no where to put our pretty warning stickers on it :O

DTMF

lamborgini8 said:
[quote author=DTMF link=1235695394/16#22 date=1236285915]you shall see my friend . it's almost done  :D. the programing took forever . the mounting slot's are not on the top they are on the front and back .@ this point i think this thread is in the wrong spot as i have not posted any more pic's of it  :-/

[highlight]EDIT[/highlight] here's a rough drawing of it . it's not to scale and it look's one of my kid's made it  :p  i like to use a penceil and paper to make my design's

Looks good, I like it but I really wouldn't over complicate it. I can see this going down the odd looking triangular heat sink line which as I said looks rediculous and putting a triangular laser head in a scanner just looks stupid.

Back to the mounting holes, do you mean the holes will be in the bottom (underside) if the heatsink? If so, thats what I was trying to get at. But looking at your design you could actually put the mounting holes through the top of the "plate" part on the bottom.

Edit: Theres no where to put our pretty warning stickers on it :O[/quote]

yes the mounting hole's are on the bottom .you make a good point about the sticker's :p as for the design i'm not going to change it anymore i just wanted to give it some style . ;)

DTMF said:
[quote author=lamborgini8 link=1235695394/16#24 date=1236329790][quote author=DTMF link=1235695394/16#22 date=1236285915]you shall see my friend . it's almost done  :D. the programing took forever . the mounting slot's are not on the top they are on the front and back .@ this point i think this thread is in the wrong spot as i have not posted any more pic's of it  :-/

Edit: Theres no where to put our pretty warning stickers on it :O[/quote]

yes the mounting hole's are on the bottom .you make a good point about the sticker's :p as for the design i'm  not going to change it anymore i just wanted to give it some style .  ;)
[/quote]

Look forward to seeing the final ones :) And buying them.

DTMF

WOOT i finished them and i did a update to the thread see my 1st post for new pics :eek:

im down for 3 if your selling. let me get some money up...

*gets up and runs around looking for change...* ::)

but no seriously i need 3 of them in a day or 2 if you got them.

DTMF

i'll keep 3 aside just for you drew . pm me when you want them

DTMF

now for some beam pic's enjoy :D
CIMG1185.jpg

CIMG1184.jpg

this one's for wannaburn OMG where did that blu-ray come from ? thank's wannburn i love this badboy
CIMG1186.jpg

JLSE

DTMF said:
now for some beam pic's  enjoy  :D
CIMG1185.jpg

CIMG1184.jpg

this one's for wannaburn OMG where did that blu-ray come from ? thank's wannburn  i love this badboy
CIMG1186.jpg

Glad your enjoying it:) Fair trade is a fair trade, im enjoying my cube, just havent had time to finish the project yet :( But will post pics when I do ;D