Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Klingon D7 Battlecruiser "Klothos" with three lasers & running lights (pic heavy)

Klingon D7 Battlecruiser "Klothos" with three lasers & running lights (pic heavy)

The Klingon D7 Battlecruiser "Klothos" with two 532nm 50mW DPSS lasers (representing the disruptors) & one 650nm 100mW laser in the photon torpedo bay, plus 22 LEDs making up the running & engine lights.

Sorry about the poor pics, I need to get a good camera and not rely on my phone camera anymore.

The switch on top of the base box in the front is the power for the lights and to the voltage regulator for the lasers. The LED harness runs off of 6v and the lasers 3v. So as you'll see below in the electrical box of the stand that I added is running off 4 D cell batteries and the voltage regulator is an LM1117T-3.3.

From the stand's rear you see the keyswitch I used to arm the lasers. The two red momentary press buttons run the left & right 532nm lasers that are in each engine pod. The black momentary switch runs the 650nm laser in the torpedo bay at the front of the ship.

Early construction

Running the harness and setting up the box.

All three lasers are inexpensive modules I got off of ebay for around $40 total. The model is the Revel 1/600 scale (about 17in long) Klingon D7 Battlecruiser. The is no light kit for this model so I had to build my own and fit it. I was hoping the 1/600 scale would be big enough to fit the green lasers inside the engine pods but that wasn't the case so the Dremel tool came out to fit them and the sealing done with putty. The torpedo bay 650nm laser fit rather nicely but the angle of the laser fired was totally determined by the shape of the front of the bridge.

The original stand is the triangle piece you see on top of the box I used, the post is not original either, it was flat and about the third the height so a fair amount of modification there where I used an aluminum pipe I found at Home Depot and I cut to the height I wanted and then used Milliput putty (after cuttung the holes) to make the pipe fittings for the model & base.

Until recently it had been nearly 35 years since I had built a plastic model so I first built a 1/1000 scale Enterprise NCC-1701 refit (from the 1979 movie) but that was too small to fit a laser but I did put a 16 LED light harness I built for it. It came out ok but is served it's purpose as modern practice in model building for me. Here it is in the distance under attack by the Klothos.

Next up I will be working on a 1/350 (nearly 3ft long) scale Polar lights USS Enterprise from the original series. It does have a light kit available and I have it (even has spinning lights for the front of the nacelles!). I will be putting in either one or two (depending on what I can fit) either 450nm or 462nm modules in the saucer section. Then you'll see the Enterprise reprisal on the Klingon!

I hope by the summer to get out to the dessert where I can get pics of this against the starry sky & mountains with lasers blazing!

Attachments

• KD7_drk_RL_disrupfire_v1.jpg
    KD7_drk_RL_disrupfire_v1.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 928
  • KD7_drk_rearvw_disruptfire_v1s.jpg
    KD7_drk_rearvw_disruptfire_v1s.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 1,628

Re: Klingon D7 Battlecruiser "Klothos" with three lasers & running lights (pic heavy)

Incredible work! How long did it take to build?+1 :beer:

Re: Klingon D7 Battlecruiser "Klothos" with three lasers & running lights (pic heavy)

Incredible work! How long did it take to build?+1 :beer:

Thank you very much grainde!

It took me 5 weeks (weeknights & weekends) total of which the first week alone was spent putting coat after coat of double strength gray primer for plastic on the inside of all the hull parts to alleviate any light leak through the walls!

A fine ship and ready for battle. Long live the empire. +rep

Alan

Nice work!

Bit of trivia, but in Star Trek - The Motion Picture the photon torpedoes shot by the K'T'inga class cruisers at V'ger in the opneiong sequence were created by shining a red laser through a crystal and doing some optical printer magic.

IsaacT

This looks very badass man. Great job! I am glad I popped on here today :D +5 for sure!

Last edited:

ru124t

Kaplow! LOL

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Another winner for sure, great job!
I can't wait to see the finished Enterprise, and then, the inevitable battle to the death!

:gj: +rep!

Last edited:

Thank you very much everyone!

Alan, I had forgotten about that video! Would have been funny to put a tiny piezoelectric speaker in the bridge and have a switch to play that coming from it! I am going have sound for the big Enterprise. I have two sound boards that will have speakers in the base so that when you turn on the lights you'll hear the bridge sounds from the show and the other for the ship's phasers sound.

blasterman, I didn't know that, that makes sense for the cool way the photon torpedo's looked in that movie!

Isaac very glad you stopped by, very cool!

ru124t, I wonder after I build a few different ones that I'll have in my living room if after I go to bed that they'll do battle on their own! lol

BowtieGuy, I just have to be careful about what I put of blue lasers in the big Enterprise or the distance they fight at so that the big E doesn't really melt the KlingonD7! The 462nm's will look more like the show but could be a little to powerful for painted model plastic of the enemy models! :D

How great work! A lot of detail.
long live harbor frieght coupons too!!

How great work! A lot of detail.
long live harbor frieght coupons too!!

Thanks!

Lol very true, they send me a ton of those ads (good as a spill mats!) but I do shop at them every once in a while!