Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Killer deal on USB spectrometer! (update: legitimate!)

At $70.00 each even if it doesn't do the job for Civitus
it's not a big loss.. Besides someone here will probably
take them off his hands....

Jerry

Hi Jerry,
In few days, I hope, I can get back to you and tell you more about the two units i have payed for.
ciao

Hi guys,

I finally have ordered this spectrometer, too.

In case it comes without instructions like I see it already happened, could those of you who get them with manual post a scan please or just describe how to use and calibrate it.
Another question: what lasers can be used for calibration - only gas ones which never drift in WL if I am right or would LD be OK? Is the main line of green DPSS always 532nm exactly or can it drift as well?

The seller will supply a link to the instructions and
software..
You just need to ask him.

Jerry

Hi guys,

In case it comes without instructions like I see it already happened, could those of you who get them with manual post a scan please or just describe how to use and calibrate it.
Another question: what lasers can be used for calibration - only gas ones which never drift in WL if I am right or would LD be OK? Is the main line of green DPSS always 532nm exactly or can it drift as well?

If you want accuracy, don't use LDs. If you don't have access to gas lasers you can use gas discharge tubes and note their spectra. Ocean Optics recommends an Ar/Kr discharge tube as it has lines from infrared to ultraviolet and many in between.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Dear
I have talked to the seller about the calibration source, it seems that a fluorescent bulb is ok.
I have tried this week end the fluorescent bulbe on an Ocean Optics spectrometer, it works well, I used a 3rd order callibration curve.

I will try this, I hope tomorrow, as soon as i get the mini usb spectrometer of Thunder Optics

i'll let you know

I finally got the two spectrometers

They are very handy, compact, they feel good in the hand.
there is no CD in the box, but the seller gave in the bill the link to download two software.

I used on of them for the calibration, as i have said in my past message, a fluorescent lamp is good. it has an option especially for the fluorescent lamp, a good chance.
after the calibration, i used a green laser pointer, and the calibration was good, an error of 1.7 nm, i think that with two point calibration, it is already a good one.

the second spectrometer has the same caracteristics

I can clearly seprate the pics at 542nm and 546nm, it is a very good point a resolution pwer;

After the calibration, i used one of them to elaborate the absorption spectra of different colored filters, and it is just wonderful and easy. I used for this the second software.

Tomorrow, i will use them for the study of colored solutions.
If i get good results, i will be the happiest teaher of physics.

Until now, a very good mark and feedbacks about the spectrometers, tomorrow, I will tell you more.

I finally got the two spectrometers

Tomorrow, i will use them for the study of colored solutions.
If i get good results, i will be the happiest teaher of physics.

Until now, a very good mark and feedbacks about the spectrometers, tomorrow, I will tell you more.

As i promised ...

We tried the spectrometers (both) to calibrate them for the measure of unknown density of colored liquide solution.
we did not get perfect lines, but in the range of the error bars we succeeded to measure the correct densities.

We are going to buy 18 more of them for our students, tp get a set of 20 spectrometers for our lab work.

The guy is cool, we are discussing a price reduction (without passing via eBay)

For this forum, I am going to use different green and red laisers with different linewidth and i will see if i can detect any difference.
I have already used it for colored diodes and it is perfect.

Tonight I used a HeNe to calibrate 638 and my 520 to set my
calibration. I now see that my 405, 445, 638 and 650 diodes are a bit off.
I will check with my green HeNe tomorrow.
HM

You might be able to use the discharge light from your He-Ne if you can get the specific lines you want to calibrate for. I'm not sure if the lines are far enough apart to get a great calibration, but these aren't made to be that accurate, so maybe just the two strongest outside lines.

Tonight I used a HeNe to calibrate 638 and my 520 to set my
calibration. I now see that my 405, 445, 638 and 650 diodes are a bit off.
I will check with my green HeNe tomorrow.
HM

HeNe is actually 632.8nm. I'd also use 532nm instead of 520nm because DPSS is more WL-accurate.

Atom---
At present, I'm only trying to get it close and that's likely the best it will do.
I used the 520 laser and the 532 is as close as needed for present on the graph.
Thanks -- HM

Note: Anyone getting one of these should know that there is
what appears to be a plastic OD filter of some unknown value
behind the input slit. The use of lasers which can "pop" or burn
should be diffused of the slit will cook. How do I know that? ...
HM

You would burn pixels in your camera before you cooked the filter. Probably why the filter is there in the first place.