Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Keeping batteries in laser pointers..

I find it's safe to leave in. BUT!!!! Don't take it into a steamy bathroom. I did in a sure fire flashlight and they exploded.

I take my laser's into steamy bathrooms all the time, to use the fog. What batteries where they exactly? I don't know how the steam would make them explode. Maybe they got too hot?

:undecided:

Last edited:
Maybe "explode" was a strong word. They were the energizer e2s. They exploded inside the pill, no fire. Just an enclosed eruption. I had to drill out the pill to clean it. They were semi new batts.

Maybe "explode" was a strong word. They were the energizer e2s. They exploded inside the pill, no fire. Just an enclosed eruption. I had to drill out the pill to clean it. They were semi new batts.

Oh wow. Ill try to use a fog machine next time. :D

I had a old type PGL III green laser, and the "D" cells leaked, by the time I knew there was leakage, the laser was about toast! I worked long and hard to remove the stuck remains of the batts, and the corrosion rendered the laser nearly a total loss... in the end, I sent it back to CNI, where they replaced it with another PGL for ~$150. ;) -Glenn

Last edited:
I use only rechargeable batteries in my lasers.

Do those types ever exhibit corrosion with time, charged or dead?

Which/any specific type to avoid, etc.?

T.

joeyss

Don't use alkaline or cheap dollar store ones labeled as "heavy duty" those are carbon zinc. Both of those types can leak. NiMHs never leaked on me.

One other thing to consider with leaving batteries in lasers, is parasitic drain. Not really an issue in most cases but it's possible.

Generally if it's for a few days, I leave the batteries in. If it's going into the drawer not to come out for a month+ the batteries come out.

So far I haven't had any problems with anything but alkalines.

Don't use alkaline or cheap dollar store ones labeled as "heavy duty" those are carbon zinc. Both of those types can leak. NiMHs never leaked on me.

I have had NiMHs leak and I've had them swell making it a bear to remove them. Once you've been a victim of leaking batteries (of any type) by leaving them in a forgotten device, you may find yourself being more careful.

I find the more I care about the given device, the more I take batteries out when not in use. Further, I have more devices than batteries. Leaving them in is a luxury, in some cases. I am not talking remotes or every-day-carry flashlights, but about things that may get forgotten.

Just last night, I broke out the vinegar to combat a leak. I am a strong supporter of removing batteries once your "done playing with your lasers."