Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just used my 1.6W 445nm for self-defense.

is it just me or have a few too many members been attacked on this forum o_O makes me kinda worry for my own safety...maybe i should start carrying a knife on me...

Dont take this the wrong way, but the majority of the forum are geeks, and nerds. Easy targets in the underworld's eyes.

I have trouble viewing your avatar as a "big scary geek" T_J
I carry a knife with me at ALL times, would I ever use it to hurt someone?
Never.
Learning how to use a yo-yo as a defensive weapon? Not gonna happen
Brutal as it is to say, if you shone a laser in the guy's eyes and he was obviously severely injured, you might actually be better of killing him.
A lawyer friend of mine once told me that if you kill an intruder, there is only one story for the court to hear. The same likely holds true for an aggressive drunk that was killed by his own knife...
I doubt the coroner would look at his eyes when there is a nice big slash mark to see... :whistle:

Hey, I'm a geek too. Just a big, scary one.

LOL if I correctly remember you picture from the "post a picture of yourself" thread, then you are quite right :crackup:

-Jakob

Last edited:
Here is a picture off me. Cheech added a plunger, and tongue for a joke, but you get the idea.

2516-bigdaddyplunger.jpg

What happened to your avatar Jakob? You were in the back seat of car, with shades.

I really don't know, it's in my profile when you go to it, but whenever we switched to the new vBulletin version of the forum it stopped appearing under my name when I posted. I should probably get a new pic anyways, that one is 2 years old.

-Jakob

Well, sounds like it went alright. You got lucky though. Just curious, what state do you live in?

Many states allow for the use of deadly force to avoid bodily harm or death. I'm not sure what a laser would be considered, but the use of the knife is escalation of force and in many cases would allow you to use whatever means necessary to avoid harm.

Point in case though, if you are really worried about self defense, get a CHP (Concealed carry permit). I carry most times I am out and about, where legally allowed to and am actually surprised no one here has mentioned they do as well. With the way you put it, you would have been justified to draw and demand him to leave.

On a side note, carrying a knife without the training to use it is a mistake. If you're going to carry something for the means of self defense, it's a huge mistake not to know how to properly use it and may end up with you just getting stabbed with your own knife. Which is the reason I hit the range just about weekly and take classes (Aside from shooting being fun :D) If anything I would think the best thing for an untrained person to carry is a can of mace.

Last edited:

JLSE

Again, thanks for everybody congratulating me that it turned out okay.

Well actually, with my dad behind me, and the drunk right in front of me with a knife I was a little cornered. And we were all the way at the end of my alley, so it's not really like I could have walked anywhere.

Here in the ghetto of Hagerstown, cops don't treat drunks or druggies very nicely at all (probably because there are so damn many of them). If the drunk I was dealing with claimed assault with a laser they would just have a good laugh about it and then shrug it off. Maybe if it hit him in the eyes it would be different though. And I AM very glad that I didn't hit his eyes with it.

Thank you for all of your insight though, wannaburn, you bring up very good points.

-Jakob

Keep in mind, im not trying to be a 'Negative Nelly'... I just remember
what it is like to be young and make mistakes. Had I owned the lasers
that I have now, and no internet to boot, im sure I would have got
myself in trouble along the way..

Regardless of how the cops may treat the local riffraff, if a case gets enough
attention (which lasers usually do) things can spiral out of control
with a result that may not be in your favor.

Having access to such devices, even though now more common place,
comes with the requirement that you truly think twice before you act.

Another thing that came to mind is if an armed assailant wielding
a sharp edged weapon or gun is 'disabled' by a victim who used a laser
to 'take em out', the media would have a field day. The fact that the
laser beat the gun in a given situation, would probably destroy the hobby
for most overnight.

Just something for ALL of us to keep in mind when we find ourselves
in similar situations....

:beer:

:crackup:TJ didn't I see you in a biker bar in Alaska I use to play in a band at
The Yo Yo defence does take years to profect, but I put that in
here for the younger members who;) have the years ahead of them to do it.