Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just starting out- looking for recommendations

mod101

One of the best ebay providers itemquickship has already been mentioned above, though I would like to point out that most of his lasers are over spec (ie up to 30-50mw sometimes) This shouldn't pose a problem if your careful (my first laser was one of those itemquickship combos and I thought it was a great first laser).

If you really wanted an onspec 5mw laser you could talk to Jack at Optotronics about getting an onspec 5mw laser for about 30$ Laserglow also has 5mw lasers for a bit more I think the 5mw Lyra goes for about 40-50$.

Hope you enjoy your stay here, and dont forget to be safe (though it seems like you are taking necessary protection)

Ok so how about these:
Amazon.com: Focusable 635nm Red Laser Pointer: Electronics NO I don't like how he worded things

I have bought from Generic and got over spec (I checked with a LPM) good products IMO
Amazon.com: 10mW Blue Violet Laser Presentation Pointer: Electronics

Amazon.com: Dimple Green Laser Pen Astronomy Grade for Military, Lecturers and Law Enforcement (Black): Everything Else

And I saw some glasses on o-like for the different wavelengths.

Thanks for all the advice BTW guys.
:beer:

EDIT: I got 2 of the 10 mw 405 nm (remember you will only see the beam in complete darkness very slightly but in smoke or fog etc you'll see a nice purple/grayish at this low beam) There running at 30 mW and 40 mW
I almost bought a green but resisted it would be pointless I have enough 532nm imo

Last edited:

Dux

Ok I might get those two and if I can find a good red one on amazon I might get one of those too. I just like how amazon is run and stuff. I am however looking at the ebay ones again.

BTW, when you say over spec, I assume you mean they put out more power than they are claimed to?

Ok I might get those two and if I can find a good red one on amazon I might get one of those too. I just like how amazon is run and stuff. I am however looking at the ebay ones again.

BTW, when you say over spec, I assume you mean they put out more power than they are claimed to?

Yep I edited to clarify sorry

Dux

Ok so it's down to this:

I guess I could buy from that seller "itemquickship" or from amazon. But as we all can see- some of you guys like ebay, others don't.

So that's my only issue right now in a nutshell when it comes to purchasing.

Ok so it's down to this:

I guess I could buy from that seller "itemquickship" or from amazon. But as we all can see- some of you guys like ebay, others don't.

So that's my only issue right now in a nutshell when it comes to purchasing.

No I think everyone is cool with IQS you'll get a good leaser for cheap... It's just rest you should stay away from unless another member tells you something different

Dux

No I think everyone is cool with IQS you'll get a good leaser for cheap... It's just rest you should stay away from unless another member tells you something different

Ok cool.

So then what do you think of the glasses (someone who knows glasses) from O-like?

mod101

Quality from either ebay and amazon would be similar I would suspect. I would vote ebay just because Itemquickship is so highly respected around here for cost/power/quality of his lasers. I doubt you could find a better 8$ laser than from itemquickship. (also as his name suggests he ships fast (my last order was put in at 12:30 PM Monday and it was shipped by 4:00PM Monday and arrived by Friday morning)

EDIT: those googles are good enough for your power lasers but if you ever want to upgrade you might want to go ahead and purchase some high quality goggles.

http://www.survivallaser.com/Laser_Accessories/cat556089_492425.aspx

This site is reputable, they ship from the US for about 3$, The red goggles at the top should be about equivalent to the o-like ones but the eagle par goggles are highly respected for 190-540nm (low UV to mid green).

Last edited:

anselm

Yeah, I forgot about IQS, because he is useless to me, he doesn't ship outside the US.:(

Dux

Alright! I ordered my pointers from IQS. I kinda wish I had a meter to tell me how strong they actually are but whatever.

Dux

I checked and there is one person near me. Not sure though if he has a meter.

Anyhow I have a few more noob questions:

I ordered these cheapo lasers from ebay- so if they are over spec, is it ok to look at the DOT on a non reflective surface without eye protection? Is a quick accidental reflection ok or not?

And I was doing some reading on the forums and I read about IR coming from some lasers. Do I need to worry about this with these potential over spec pointers I have coming?

How are these glasses?
For green and violet: http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=28
For red: http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=26

I ordered a (supposed) 405nm violet, 532nm green, and 650nm red

Last edited:

anselm

so if they are over spec, is it ok to look at the DOT on a non reflective surface without eye protection?
Depends on HOW overspec they are, and how far the dot is, but being pens, yes it would be OK, generally.
Before it hurts you, it will feel quite uncomfortable to look at due to the brightness anyway.
Is a quick accidental reflection ok or not?
Depends. If it is a full reflection from a flat reflective surface (metal, glass), and the
overall distance the beam travels is relatively short, you have a problem!!

A partial reflection off a curved surface, might not be a problem, because the
reflected light isn't focussed so tightly anymore, but I wouldn't
gamble my eyesight on it. So NO, quick accidental reflections are NOT OK, in general!

Last edited:

Dux

Depends on HOW overspec they are, and how far the dot is, but being pens, yes it would be OK, generally.
Before it hurts you, it will feel quite uncomfortable to look at due to the brightness anyway.

Depends. If it is a full reflection from a flat reflective surface (metal, glass), and the
overall distance the beam travels is relatively short, you have a problem!!

A partial reflection off a curved surface, might not be a problem, because the
reflected light isn't focussed so tightly anymore, but I wouldn't
gamble my eyesight on it. So NO, quick accidental reflections are NOT OK, in general!

Ok thanks.

So what do you all think of those glasses?

Dux

Ok, I'm just going to get those glasses.

And I was reading some more on the site and I keep seeing all this stuff about IR coming from the cheap china lasers (presumably what I bought) and how they lack IR filters. Is this something I need to get (IR filters) or what's the deal?

I really do appreciate all the help and advice. I would not feel comfortable getting into lasers without this site and those people putting up with my noob questions.