Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just started/need some help

Carbon

Hello guys, may i ask you some questions?
I got LG CD-R/RW X52 Drive I took the diode from it
It says Class 1 Laser "IEC 60825-1" On the drive

Questions:
1-If i bought normal laserpointer for 5$ and replaced the diode with CD-RW drive diode will it work?
2-Is it invisable?
3-Is it safe for my eyes?
4-What colour it would be?
5-Can it be A Laser burner?
6-How much Mw?

Please i really need help before i start doing it and thank you

I got X16 Dvd reader also.. will it work as laser burner?

Last edited:

Welcome to the forum!
First I recommend for you to read around the forum, just read, read, read. Most of your questions will be answered. Don't forget that there is a search function!
I see you have a lot of questions to ask, but don't take too much advantage, lots of people will just tell you to read the faqs, etc. To make your life and my life easier, here are some answers:
1. Yes and no. Normal laserpointers use a chip diode, unlike most cd/dvd/brd drives that use a 5.6mm diode. While it is possible to do, you cannot directly replace the diode as they are two completely different sizes. As for the actual functionality it probably will work, but I can't really say as you're inputting 4.5 volts into a 2 volt laser diode.
2. Yes. It is 780nm, which is a near infrared wavelength. Your eyes will see it as a very dark, dim red color, but do not be deceived. Infrared lasers are incredibly dangerous as you do not really know the power of the laser, and although it may be dim, it can still damage your eyesight.
3. If you wear goggles and be careful, then yes.
4. Infrared.
5. Most likely, but if you want it to really last long then you will need heatsinking and a driver. If you don't know what these are then please look it up.. This is where most people mess up with their first laser.
6. Depends. Not much is known about the drive you're dismantling, but you should be able to get at least 100mW. Which is not much for infrared.

About your 16X dvd reader, it will not work as a laser burner. Reader diodes are only around 5mW. If you want to build a burning red laser, then pick up a LPC sled.

Carbon

I got the CD-RW diode, what do i do with it? :undecided: if it will not work

Carbon

the laserpointer looking like this
041104092203s.jpg

the laserpointer looking like this
041104092203s.jpg

I would recommend purchasing a Dr.Lava driver for this project. The driver (if there is any) in that pointer will not be nearly as sufficient as needed.

You sound kind of new to lasers, here's a parts list you need for every laser, give or take a few things.

Host (what everything goes into! In you're case, it's that gold pointer)
Diode (This makes all of the pretty colors, it's your IR diode [which isn't such a pretty color ;)])
Driver (This regulates the power each diode gets, look in the Buy/Sell/Trade section for some!)
Battery (Your power source!)
An AixiZ module (do your research! search button's up top!)
What am I missing?

now for the tools you'll need!

Soldering Iron!
Solder!
Flux!
A vice (there are substitutes, search around!)

Good luck!

Carbon

Can't i just replace the diode and but more batteris?
Can anyone show me a pic of what inside this laser?

Carbon

aaaaaaaah! >.> where do i get the noob driver then?
can u show me a pic of a driver :O

Hello Carbon and Welcome to the forum, I was wondering are you reading any of the posts completly, if you go to the buy/sell/trade section and look for a thread labeled Dr.Lava driver you might find what you are looking for. you should read more there is lots of good info here if you just look for it... the pictures are here also, use your search button !!!
http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/Micro_FlexDrive.php
Peace All Pyro... :eg:

aaaaaaaah! >.> where do i get the noob driver then?
can u show me a pic of a driver :O

Last edited:

Carbon

Is there any other ways to improve this kind of lasers? like the one on the picture
It's red, Can you use the pot mod thing on it?

Take it apart and you will see a small printed circuit board with a notch at the front, that is where the LD chip is. behind it will be a little square block soldered to the board, that is the limiting resistor. Remove the resistor and solder a pot in its place (somewhere around 500ohm) Set the pot to max resistance, turn on the laser then give the pot a twiddle and see what happens. Warning! laser diode may die in the process.

Regards rog8811