Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just received a c6 host from survivallaser and I'm a little confused with the driver pill

whytho

I've attached a pic of the host I received. I've ordered a complete laser module with driver from DTR which should be arriving soon. As far as I know, it should be an easy install as all I gotta do is drop the module into the heatsink and throw in an 18650 battery. But upon looking at the silver ring part (driver pill?), it's hollow and I'm not sure how the battery is going to push up against it? I believe I did order "drilled driver pill" but I thought that meant it had 2 small holes I could use if for a different driver in future purposes.

Help appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_8221.png
    IMG_8221.png
    792.5 KB · Views: 12

Giannis_TDM

I've attached a pic of the host I received. I've ordered a complete laser module with driver from DTR which should be arriving soon. As far as I know, it should be an easy install as all I gotta do is drop the module into the heatsink and throw in an 18650 battery. But upon looking at the silver ring part (driver pill?), it's hollow and I'm not sure how the battery is going to push up against it? I believe I did order "drilled driver pill" but I thought that meant it had 2 small holes I could use if for a different driver in future purposes.

Help appreciated.
Sorry to tell you but you seem to have forgotten to order the battery contact board to go along with it... I hope you are in the US because if you are outside of us the shipping of the contact board will take a lot of time, If you have a perf board though I can instruct you on how to make a battery contact board yourself.

whytho

Sorry to tell you but you seem to have forgotten to order the battery contact board to go along with it... I hope you are in the US because if you are outside of us the shipping of the contact board will take a lot of time, If you have a perf board though I can instruct you on how to make a battery contact board yourself.
dont tell me that :( I thought the c6 host combo would include everything I needed...had to wait nearly a month to get the host over to Australia.

Is there any circuitry involved or is it just a matter of making contact with the battery? If that's the case, I can just jam in a thin piece of aluminium or something. Wouldn't look nice but I just want to get it working

Hi
yup contact board needed with bras ring be pressed into the pill.
Heres a pic of a heat sink I machine and I press in the contact board . This is the same way you would press it in but into your pill.
I use a spring or you can just add a blob of solder , then solder your two wires on the other side to connect to the driver.
Rich:)IMG_2771.jpeg

Encap

Contact Gary. call or email, at Survival Laser --he can send you just the battery contact board without the wires , you can solder some on yourself, via regular 1st class Ait Mail letter envelope. Would arrive quickly be my guess.

Last edited:

gazer101

dont tell me that :( I thought the c6 host combo would include everything I needed...had to wait nearly a month to get the host over to Australia.

Is there any circuitry involved or is it just a matter of making contact with the battery? If that's the case, I can just jam in a thin piece of aluminium or something. Wouldn't look nice but I just want to get it working
If you have your own (rectangle shaped) driver you could always just pull an old battery contact board from a flashlight and glue it in place (touching the tip of the battery and making the + lead), then solder a piece of wire to the side of the pill to act as the - lead

EDIT: Since I'm literally going to be receiving the exact same item (plus their 1.8A driver) tomorrow, I just wanted to confirm: will the drilled driver pill work fine with one of their own drivers (will I be able to just press-fit it into place)?

Hi
If you want a
Contact board wired with a spring Iwith a brass ring I can send you one tomorrow just pay shipping 1st class mail
PM me for details
Rich:)

Snecho

Help appreciated.
Since you're not using a SurvivalLaser driver, you need to substitute it for a blank battery contact board. You press the contact board into the brass ring, and then press that into the pill on the side with the threads. Make sure to make all the proper connections between the brass ring, battery board, and module leads.

Drilled pill means it's hollowed out. I assume you ordered that since you already have a driver in your 12mm module and you need to fit the entire length of the module in the head. What heatsink option did you choose? That would change how much room you have to work with.

This video on assembling a C6 host for reference:
EDIT: Since I'm literally going to be receiving the exact same item (plus their 1.8A driver) tomorrow, I just wanted to confirm: will the drilled driver pill work fine with one of their own drivers (will I be able to just press-fit it into place)?
To answer your question, yes the assembly process is the same. The drilled pill just gives you more room to work with. Like if you want to fit a full length 12mm module.
If you have your own (rectangle shaped) driver you could always just pull an old battery contact board from a flashlight and glue it in place (touching the tip of the battery and making the + lead), then solder a piece of wire to the side of the pill to act as the - lead
Btw, no. Both the positive and negative leads solder to back of the battery board and attach directly to the module. At least with the SL battery board.

gazer101

Since you're not using a SurvivalLaser driver, you need to substitute it for a blank battery contact board. You press the contact board into the brass ring, and then press that into the pill on the side with the threads. Make sure to make all the proper connections between the brass ring, battery board, and module leads.

Drilled pill means it's hollowed out. I assume you ordered that since you already have a driver in your 12mm module and you need to fit the entire length of the module in the head. What heatsink option did you choose? That would change how much room you have to work with.

This video on assembling a C6 host for reference:

To answer your question, yes the assembly process is the same. The drilled pill just gives you more room to work with. Like if you want to fit a full length 12mm module.

Btw, no. Both the positive and negative leads solder to back of the battery board and attach directly to the module. At least with the SL battery board.
Yes that's what I was referring to, you need to somehow interface your driver with the + end of the battery (via some sort of contact board, some of them don't touch the body) and the body of the flashlight (which is connected to the - end of the battery)

1595364060707.png