Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just noticed on the CNI website...

I was looking at the lasers on CNI's website, and I just noticed that now on their green pointers (the black and gold ones, like the x-series) it only says a power of up to 5mW is available. It used to say up to 150mW 532nm.... the same goes for ALL of their 'pointer' lasers (not the 'portable' lasers though). For example, even the 808nm black and gold pointer says only 5mW... we all know it probably has a 500mW+ c-mount in it though. Really weird.

Ace82

Yeah, that is pretty weird. I wonder, maybe they got in trouble, and they only sell the high-powered pens to resellers to take the responsibility? Nova still has them. :-?

It's been that way for a while.
I've been in contact with them and they still sell them, but I guess they're just not advertising it.

Guys, it's all semantics. CDRH/FDA rules state that laser 'pointers' must be less than 5mW. Take a class IIIB laser with all applicable safety features that otherwise could get an accession number- calling it a pointer puts it in violation of FDA regs... Any smart company will call it a 'handheld laser' instead.

Since CNI advertises that it's lasers are CDRH compliant on it's site, it is probably unwise for them to also advertise >5mW 'pointers' on the same site.

cheers,
kernelpanic