Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just had eye surgery

https://i.imgur.com/TlVDACI.jpg

Image is pretty large

That is what my eye looks like now. It's horrible, looks like the eyes you see on dead fish in the butchers. All glassy and bloodshot.

I had a tear in my retina which caused it to become detached. So nothing to do with staring into a laser or anything stupid like that luckily. However it's really no fun at the minute: Can't play with lasers as my eye is really sensitive to light, it makes me dizzy if I'm out too long so have to wear shades, plus I can't really look at screens too long so haven't been active here or on other forums, and the sensation my eye is constantly watering and unfocused. The worst bit it that it weeps during the night and have to unglue the bloody crust on my eye so I can open it. These things will gradually get much better over the next couple weeks.

Now I've had surgery it should be completely better in a month. All this has made me really appreciate my eyes. Not gonna take any chances risking permanent damage with lasers, projectiles or anything. Always wear goggles, get your eyes tested! Eye surgery is not something you want to have.

Benm

That looks rather painful!

I hope you'll make a full recovery and things get more comfortable soon - i reckon discomfort will go down quite rapidly.

If I may ask, what caused this problem?

https://i.imgur.com/TlVDACI.jpg

Image is pretty large

That is what my eye looks like now. It's horrible, looks like the eyes you see on dead fish in the butchers. All glassy and bloodshot.

I had a tear in my retina which caused it to become detached. So nothing to do with staring into a laser or anything stupid like that luckily. However it's really no fun at the minute: Can't play with lasers as my eye is really sensitive to light, it makes me dizzy if I'm out too long so have to wear shades, plus I can't really look at screens too long so haven't been active here or on other forums, and the sensation my eye is constantly watering and unfocused. The worst bit it that it weeps during the night and have to unglue the bloody crust on my eye so I can open it. These things will gradually get much better over the next couple weeks.

Now I've had surgery it should be completely better in a month. All this has made me really appreciate my eyes. Not gonna take any chances risking permanent damage with lasers, projectiles or anything. Always wear goggles, get your eyes tested! Eye surgery is not something you want to have.

Hope you come out 20/20, got stuck in the eye with a twig hunting when I was a kid, was on a surveying trail cut with a mechete, leaving lots of sharp ends, gouged a hunk out of the white of my eye. Healed really fast.

That looks rather painful!

I hope you'll make a full recovery and things get more comfortable soon - i reckon discomfort will go down quite rapidly.

If I may ask, what caused this problem?

I'm not 100% sure. I was asked if I had any recent trauma to the head which I hadn't. It could have been an old bang to the head which just got worse over time. I only noticed my vision going a couple months ago while trying to read. Because I'm young they did a different surgery. Usually a gas bubble is injected into the hole in the retina to heal it. However with me they freeze made a scar I think then sewn a silicone piece to my eye to push the retina back in.

Hope you come out 20/20, got stuck in the eye with a twig hunting when I was a kid, was on a surveying trail cut with a mechete, leaving lots of sharp ends, gouged a hunk out of the white of my eye. Healed really fast.

Thanks to you and ElectricPlasma for the wishes. That sounds horrible it's making me cringe. A piece of the white being scooped out like some egg damn.

Pman

Best of luck and fight to do whatever they said and not take any chances regatdless of how much it may bug you.

OVNI

Good luck. It's amazing what modern medicine can do with the eyes nowadays. My colleague had a torn retina. Felt no pain but had a huge increase in floaters which is why he went in for a checkup. This was maybe 25+ years ago so his recovery involved lying on his back for a week just staring straight up.

A detached retina is a serious problem. Did they reattach using a laser? What is your prognosis?

Good luck. It's amazing what modern medicine can do with the eyes nowadays. My colleague had a torn retina. Felt no pain but had a huge increase in floaters which is why he went in for a checkup. This was maybe 25+ years ago so his recovery involved lying on his back for a week just staring straight up.

Thanks dudes.

Yeah the floaters are the weird bit. Just flashing blobs of color moving across my eye. I don't miss them.

A detached retina is a serious problem. Did they reattach using a laser? What is your prognosis?

Looking good. Should be fine and dandy in a month. I have pain killers and three eye drops I have to take for 4 weeks. I'm not sure if a laser was used. Maybe to create the scar otherwise the main thing helping it heal is the silicone sewn onto my eye.

Yeah they told me with the older patients they make them stare at the floor for an hour each day. Luckily I don't need to, I think that's if you have the gas injection surgery.

Benm

Guess you are lucky they actually caught it!

Trauma to the head can be a cause - it's where the term 'seeing stars' comes from when referring to getting a blow to the head. I guess this can also present some time ater the actual impact.

As for the treatmens: they have varied over time. Injecting sodium hexafluoride gas was used, and probably still is. I'm not sure about the staring at the ceiling for a week element of that, but people actually get a bracelet reminding them not to fly with that. As if you would not remember having the procedure done for the next decade and 1000 nightmares ;)