Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Just got my blue 2W PL-E Pro from Jetlasers

I'm new to these higher-powered lasers and need some advice. I may have actually ordered the wrong batteries. I ended up getting 2 18650s instead of the 16340s. I thought I actually initially ordered the right ones, but I guess not. I have powered it on with the 18650s but it doesn't seem to really be that powerful. Are the LEDs on the side of it supposed to be red when they turn on? I thought they were supposed to be green. Anyway, I powered it on and it barely burns anything. Anyone able to drop a little advice on a newbie?

Also, what the heck is a laser aperture? got this little thing in a sealed-off baggie, almost looks like a tiny battery for small devices. This thing didn't come with a detailed owners manual so I have no idea what I have here to be honest.

Last edited:

Cel

The laser is designed to run on TWO li-ion batteries, not on ONE.

Pics?

Well, it has this extra extension piece that it cane with which I can use to fit the two 18650s. Maybe the batteries need to be charged first? I have one on charge right now and the light is red on the charger that it came with. Does that eventually change color to indicate that it is done charging?

Can't actually post pics right now because my cable internet just got shut off for repair.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey revnedjw, like cel says, you need two batteries; you probably should have a extra battery extension tube so that you can run with two 18650's (with battery sleeve), or two 26650 batteries.
BTW - My indicator lights are also red.

Edit - I'm not familiar with that particular charger, but on many chargers the light will turn green when fully charged. Be sure both batteries are fully charged.

Last edited:
Is it better to run with the 18650s or the 16340s? Also how do I know when my batteries are done charging? First time Ive ever dealt with these batteries.

Also what is this laser aperture that they sent me? Seems to be magnetic? Also came with a little clear plastic square too.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I would definitely go with the 18650's, or better yet, 26650's if you can.
The plastic square piece is probably a diffraction grating, you hold it in front of the aperture and a pattern will be displayed! I'm not sure what the magnetic piece is.

Last edited:
What about the little magnet? What is that meant to do? Does charging the batteries normally take a long time? I'm half tempted to get another charger.

Sorry for asking so many questions, I just don't see much information on the website for this and the owner manual is very brief and doesn't describe each piece.

Last edited:
Ok, the bigger the battery the better, so 18650 is better than 16340. Most of the time li-ion batteries (that's what these are) are stored and shipped halfway charged. This is because it's not advised to store them fully charged for long periods. So you always should charge them when you recieve them.

As for actually charging, all the chargers I've used start with the indicater lights red. With the cheaper chargers the leds will start to go back and forth between red and green when close to full. Depending on charger and batt, it may go completely green when charged, or may be green occasionally flickering red.
Also depending on the charger it can take a few hours to 5-6 hours (thou this is usually a drained battery).

I would recommend a different charger. A good charger not only will indicate it's done better, but will charge faster. It's also safer.

The aperture is where the beam comes out of the laser. I'm not sure about the magnetic thing.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Revnedjw, since you are new to high power lasers, be sure you have some proper safety glasses or goggles for your new PL-E laser.
The "Eagle Pair" brand from "Survival laser" are a good choice. :)

Last edited:

IWIRE

I think the little magnet it comes with is if your using flat top batteries. It goes between the two batteries to make sure they make good contact. If they are button top batteries you don't need to use the magnet.
Are you trying to charge the batteries with the A/C to D/C adapter that the laser came with, with the batteries installed in the laser, or with a separate charger ?
Yes, there is a big difference in the burning ability with partially charged batteries vs fully charged batteries and you will have to adjust the focus depending on the distance away.
Since you bought from Jetlasers it is probably over 2w. That shouldn't be your problem. A 2w 445nm should burn pretty good. Yours is probably closer to the 2.5w range.
Oh and great choice on lasers and welcome to LPF :)

Last edited:
skimmed the ABOVE SO--
MOST 445 LJs wil run on a single battery but less than half power-
did you get a second batt tube and if so when you attach do the threads feel a little off?
That was a problem with others-if so DO NOT force-- PM me and i have a solution.

the magnets are spacer that needs to be VERY CAREFULLY placed between the batts SHOULD they be needed- shorting the magnet to the case is BAD-so it must be centered

If you got a tiny square of glass from Gray it is a glasss diffraction grating- handle with care-JUST keep it clean-- I make my own 'holder' so I can place one in front of many Lasers - looks very nice -- especailly with some-fog etc and it also doubles to keep dust off my lens-

If I skipped any Q please feel free to PM me anytime-

aah-- this too
The threaded hole on the center is for mounting a tripod- they did noy=t have a lot of metal to work with-- what I am saying is- handle with care- the threads can be aeasily stipped- the laser can fall off the tripod etc- - the hole is shallow- dont trust it-

use two hands when moving-

and the tailcap pin may or may not be disabled- ez to check- turn on and remove the pin-There were /are some issues with the tailcap on the Pro PL-e line-

if you know how check the output both with tailcap and by shorting with the cap off. you need a LPM to do that--

hak

Last edited: