Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Joining to buy Lasers

Hello All,

I think lasers are awesome and I joined because I noticed I can't buy anything >5mW in the US so my only option is kits of which there's a plethora here.

Will it be tough for a new member like myself to buy stuff without a reputation?

Jaz,
welcome to the forum. You should have no problem at all buying a kit from the Buy Sell & Trade section. I'm sure that your money is good here. ;)

This is a great place to learn about DIY lasers. There is a wealth of information to be found here if you are willing to look for it.

If you really get stuck and can not find what you need, someone will usually point you in the right direction... but do yourself a favor and be sure to do your homework first.

Good luck and have fun!
TW

lowell

I'm relatively new to all this too, Jazzlikethat. However, I promise you, you can buy lasers WAY over 5mW here in the U.S. Most everyone here as lasers in the 200-300mW range, and some way over that. I have a rather cheap green laser that peaks at around 550mW, but drops as much as half of it's power once it gets hot. I have a 3W (yes 3000mW) handheld IR laser coming this week. Anyway, there are some very knowledgeable people in here, in addition to being very nice and helpful. You'll learn who's friendly and helpful, and who's not (a few are horrible) but overall you can learn a lot, and have help buying some really cool lasers. Good luck, have fun.

P.S.
Don't buy from Boblaser! You'll be stoned to death by other members, in addition to having a mediocre laser

Hello All,

I think lasers are awesome and I joined because I noticed I can't buy anything >5mW in the US so my only option is kits of which there's a plethora here.

Will it be tough for a new member like myself to buy stuff without a reputation?

There are plenty of FDA approved portable lasers here in the US for sell. There are also plenty (non-FDA) here as well. Most of the sellers will have no problem selling you the components and in a few cases a turnkey laser. I have bought a few from members and for the most part satisfied with the results. I prefer to build my own. I have sold a few but never on line. Look in the BST section and send a msg to the seller for confirmation.
And "welcome to the forum" :)

Chuck

That's a start a member here will ship lasers from dealextreme. There are less competed lasers for sale lately due to the FDA crackdown. That means more DIY work if you want one from a good builder.

As to lack of rep you can buy as long as you pay. Don't try selling unless you have something amazing.

But don't consider the forum just a place to buy lasers. You'll get one get addicted and want to do your builds that what happens! :)

Welcome though!

hey lowell what kinda bike is that in your avatar i am a motorcycle freak
bikes I have

1) 1979 honda cbx 1000 ss 11.5 1/4 mile
2) Hd 883 custom 14.5 1/4 mile
3) 1976 honda cb 750 13.7 1/4 mile

was trying to be nice :) As always I'm too nice sometimes or who knows?

Can I talk about golf then?! The ball there in my avatar is long story that is worthy of it's own thread. I was going to start one but the laser build was not mine so it would be egotistical.

Now to the avatar. Years ago I saw a glow in the dark golf ball (picture below), the real things don't glow much. But the picture looked like my new avatar. I wished I had a real golf ball that could glow like that. Recently I bought a glass golf ball then with goggles on and a comcorder took that picture there. It's something I never thought I'd see done! :cryyy::cryyy::cryyy: Seriously for years I wanted a golf ball that would shine green light. I might try clear plastic someday and hit it a good 215 yards but impossible to keep the ball constantly lit up.

As to bikes I'd like my own but need cash.

Attachments

• laserforum.jpg
    laserforum.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
yea i guess he doesn't like me either shoot i don't like me so i don't blame him

yea i guess he doesn't like me either shoot i don't like me so i don't blame him

Lowell would only like to pay $3,500 for my 2 watt handheld green but that ain't gonna happen. Here it is below.This is laser is priceless to me. I'm sure you'll understand why when you see it. My ex loved this laser but I couldn't figure out why... :undecided:

P1010283a.jpg

Thanks alot for the welcome.

Quick question: Do magnets damage laser pointers? I'm imagining making a "laser sky" effect and designing it so that I can pop a laser in and hold it in place w/ a magnet or two then take it out when I'm done.

Magnets should have no ill effect what so ever on a laser. Your host will need to be made from iron or steel... most people use aluminum hosts due to good heatsinking ability and the fact that aluminum flashlights are easy to buy and modify.

I suppose that you could attach a magnet to the host...:thinking:

Thanks alot for the welcome.

Quick question: Do magnets damage laser pointers? I'm imagining making a "laser sky" effect and designing it so that I can pop a laser in and hold it in place w/ a magnet or two then take it out when I'm done.

No negative effects on heldpointers. I've stuck a neodymium magnet the size of a brick on top of one and nothing happened it just pulls the batteries. As mentioned depending on the output of the laser most hosts use aluminum alloy as mentioned.

The only thing that might happen is that you open a Trans-Dimensional
Time Shifted Wormhole and alter time forever...Muhahahaha...:tinfoil::whistle:

BTW... Welcome to the Forum...

Jerry

Just to be completely correct, magnets can affect gas lasers; but as has been mentioned, you won't notice any problems with a laser diode in a standard laser pointer.