Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Johnny Number Five! 5-mode 445

Johnny #5

This build technically started a while ago when i was mucking around on fleabay, as one does,
and came across this driver 17mm 1 5A CC 4 2V 5 Mode CREE XP G R3 R4 R5 LED Flashlight Driver | eBay

Then one day i realized i had an m140 module in my box o stuff and decided to fire it up.
Also found a blue ice host (which i was never crazy about), the blue ice heatsink is minimal and the build
itself require too much twisting for my tastes. So i took my dremel to it and opened it up just enough
to fit one of those fleabay Al module holders. So the module holder is now heatsinked to the host and doing
a pretty amazing job. I realized 8.4V would blow out the driver so went with some 3V LiFePO4(and discharge
them a bit after charge to get rid of peak V), and it worked flawlessly(no whine from the atiny)

It has 5 Modes:
Low = 95mw
Med = 550mw
High = 1500mw
Strobe = Just nuts to watch at 1.5W
SOS = Useful, also fun to watch at 1.5W

PICS

low

med

high

Will post Beamshots/ video of strobe and SOS tonight:angel:

Thanks for looking! :beer:

Last edited:

Sweet build! :beer: The 5 mode is a very cool touch.

Johnny 5 is Alive :)

~ LB

3Pig

Very nice, always wanted to use a flashlight driver on a laser, got a few 1.2a's lying around.

Should get a diffraction grating and put it into strobe mode :eg:

Was expecting a Johnny 5 replica with a working laser cannon, still though, nice build!