Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jnrpop´s collection

jnrpop

History
-------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all :D

This thread is long over due, but never say never. It was about time i put a thread together with alittle bit about my history in this hobby (y)

I'll start with the first Laser i built, this was back in 2008. It was a labby using a 650nm DVD-RW diode extracted by myself from a LG RW CD drive. I ordered a 12mm 5.6mm brass module from the company Aixiz, and i built a Custom LM317 Driver ;) Looking back its fair to say i went abit overboard with the cooling though :ROFLMAO:

IMGP0191.jpg
IMGP0192.jpg

This was my first official purchase, a 75mw 532nm Viper from DL. I was so stoked when this arrived that i put the batteries in the wrong way :LOL: my heart sank when i pressed the button and i saw no green. DL was just a young company so i thought i had been scammed :sick: BUT.....it all turned out great, the pointer had reverse polarity protection, so i reversed the batteries and was just simply amazed by the tight green beam, and the build quality!!!

Viper-95mW-01.jpg

When the new Blu-ray diode was released in the PS3, it started a craze. Wicked L´s was selling the Sonar for +$2000 o_O This was my first 405nm build, I extracted the 405nm diode from a freshly purchased PS3 sled, soldered on a microboost driver purchased from the man him-self Drlava, and hand-made a host to look like the WL Sonar. What a time that was!

IMGP0188.jpg

Then O-like came onto the scene, and I ordered a 50mw 532nm lab module. This was back when everyone "o-likED" them :ROFLMAO:, i did a few stylo experiments with the Module then built the module into a labby and sold it on.

Lab unit.jpg

Then the 12x diode was released :p satisfying the lust we all had for more of the 405nm goodness. This was my first 12x handheld build, if i remember correctly these diodes where hitting ~120mW ;)

IMG_7778.jpg

My first "high-ish" powered handheld was purchased when i came across WL. Don't quote me on this, but i believe i was one of the first in Oz to import a 1W 445nm Wicked Lasers Arctic, successfully :devilish:

IMG_2101.jpg

And so..... In and out went a bunch of other handheld builds, mostly self built. Here´s a couple of 1W 450nm Kryptons i built, still really beautiful hosts in my view :p

c.jpg

AND NOW...... In Post #2, you will find my collection to date.

The little black case
(y):cool:

J :coffee:

Last edited:

jnrpop

My Current Collection
-----------------------------------------------------------

This collection was put together after a 5+ year absence from the hobby and LPF o_O
I came back online and after a week of reading old threads, the Mech-Mod's caught my eye, and emptied my wallet ;)

The result...was this little collection below 🆒

12x Mech-head, 1x empty
1x CNI PLT5-488 GLP pointer @486nm
1x Sanwu 488nm Pocket
2x Unicorns 👽
and 5 Diodes ready for builds.....or a museum :ROFLMAO:

Update: 02.2019
473nm CNI 250mw+ ........Welcome to the Family

Thanks for looking:D

J☕

Last edited:
Wow, Corey. You really went for the Mech Mods in a big way. Do you find the higher power lasers have limited run times with these smaller heat sinks? Nice collection, buddy.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Like Paul said, ....Wow, that's a very comprehensive Mech Mod collection; I really like your nicely organized storage case, thanks for sharing! :)

HiJ,
Nicecollection buddy and really cool cases to accommodate them.
thanks for sharing them with us nice thread..

Rich:)

jnrpop

Wow, Corey. You really went for the Mech Mods in a big way. Do you find the higher power lasers have limited run times with these smaller heat sinks? Nice collection, buddy.

Yep, just loved the simplicity with interchanging the sections! And they can look great imo :cool:
Heat dissipation is great, the highest power i have is 2W, it does get warm but its still got a 12mm copper module and a 22mm Aluminium heatsink around it, never too hot with a good duty cycle (y)

Like Paul said, ....Wow, that's a very comprehensive Mech Mod collection; I really like your nicely organized storage case, thanks for sharing! :)

Cheers :coffee:
yep i went abit ocd on the case, but i love having everything together and organised :D

HiJ,
Nicecollection buddy and really cool cases to accommodate them.
thanks for sharing them with us nice thread..

Rich:)

Thanks Rich (y)
I never would have imagined i´d own two PLT5-488 diodes, and have such a wide spectrum of wavelenghts, but my timing coming back to the hobby couldn´t of been better, been a hell of a past few years ;)

This is a great post! That homemade box reminds me of several I made when I 1st started assembling (scarily similar). You took your time with yours, I like it a lot!
The mech-mods are something I am not very familiar with at all. VERY cool concept - ESPECIALLY when you have the lineup of ready-to-go modules such as this! Very cool stuff! I've only been on the 'scene' for maybe 18 months, still finding new fascinating things out!
I've yet to post a "collection" thread of my own, but this is inspirational :) Kudos, jnrpop!

Great,jnrpop,i'm very interesting with your collection, The beautiful and compact modules are arranged very carefully with very detailed parameters ,Very nice wavelength range, small capacity but it is a dream collection

I new to the idea of these mech mods and would love some good advice. What mods do you use that can hold 2x 18350 batteries? And what concerns are there with using unregulated vs regulated mods? I have some diodes with drivers from DTR's shop that I'd like have a home for.

Edit: And will these regulated mods allow for the use of 1x 18650 instead of 2x 18350 with the NDG7475 1W 520nm with driver from DTR's shop?
I just want to be careful cause it seems to me that with the control that these regulated mods have, there is a possibility of sending too much power and I'd rather not have that risk.

And will these regulated mods allow for the use of 1x 18650 instead of 2x 18350 with the NDG7475 1W 520nm with driver from DTR's shop?
I just want to be careful cause it seems to me that with the control that these regulated mods have, there is a possibility of sending too much power and I'd rather not have that risk.

The driver board you have from DTR is what will limit the current in the diode - so you need not worry. From my understanding of the Mech Mod vape units, the removable part with the coil (in your case, laser) contains everything except a switch and the batteries.

If you put your NDG7475 diode and driver in a Mech Mod you will have very short run times as the heat sink isn't large enough to remove all the waste heat it will put out. Also, 18350s are small batteries with not much capacity, so you might want a host that can take two larger batteries.

If you put your NDG7475 diode and driver in a Mech Mod you will have very short run times as the heat sink isn't large enough to remove all the waste heat it will put out. Also, 18350s are small batteries with not much capacity, so you might want a host that can take two larger batteries.

I will be using the 22mm heat sync from DTR's shop, I believe it will be sufficient. And the life of the 18350s is good enough for me, I care more about compactness.
Thanks for the input.

The driver board you have from DTR is what will limit the current in the diode - so you need not worry. From my understanding of the Mech Mod vape units, the removable part with the coil (in your case, laser) contains everything except a switch and the batteries.
Thank you.

jnrpop

I new to the idea of these mech mods and would love some good advice. What mods do you use that can hold 2x 18350 batteries? And what concerns are there with using unregulated vs regulated mods? I have some diodes with drivers from DTR's shop that I'd like have a home for.

Edit: And will these regulated mods allow for the use of 1x 18650 instead of 2x 18350 with the NDG7475 1W 520nm with driver from DTR's shop?

There are literally thousands of mods out there, all different sizes. Mechanical-mods usually are, you guessed it - mechanical. So no electrical components and only a mechanical switch.

Hybrid mods usually have rechargable cells built in, and active voltage/current limiting, regulation and control.

Best bet is when buying one, go with a mechanical mod, read the description for total length, dimensions, and usually written in the the specs is what batterys it takes.

check out fast....tech.com to get an overview of different types and setups.

i use the Aspire CF mod, it's a hybrid, so it has electrical regulation and a smart switch, takes 1x 18650, although.......some members have also used it with 2x 16340, but when I did this the Aspire became faulty.

The other Mechanical Mod i use takes 2x 16340, has no electrical regulation so works fine with my Mech-heads that require 8v in.

Also some great threads on LPF with build info, DTR had a good thread iirc.

Thanks

There are literally thousands of mods out there, all different sizes. Mechanical-mods usually are, you guessed it - mechanical. So no electrical components and only a mechanical switch.

Hybrid mods usually have rechargable cells built in, and active voltage/current limiting, regulation and control.

Best bet is when buying one, go with a mechanical mod, read the description for total length, dimensions, and usually written in the the specs is what batterys it takes.

check out fast....tech.com to get an overview of different types and setups.

i use the Aspire CF mod, it's a hybrid, so it has electrical regulation and a smart switch, takes 1x 18650, although.......some members have also used it with 2x 16340, but when I did this the Aspire became faulty.

The other Mechanical Mod i use takes 2x 16340, has no electrical regulation so works fine with my Mech-heads that require 8v in.

Also some great threads on LPF with build info, DTR had a good thread iirc.

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I ended up getting this mech mod
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10008169/1729103-magneto-style-telescoping-mechanical-mod

jnrpop

Update....new addition to the collection ;)