Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

JetLasers 1W 520nm PL-E Mini LPM test

Encap

If the difference isn't huge, then I think I'll go for JetLasers. Also just remembered the PL-E Mini has a protective outer lens, which is another plus. Depends on what you mean by huge, of course.
It is not large -- it takes 4X the output power to double the brightness

As ArcticDude and Wakrah have said you can't go wrong with JetLasers -- they make excellent high quality products w. features other makers do offer, they stand behind and are proud of the products the make + the customer service is the best of the best both before and importantly after a purchase. They want olny happy customers and will do whatever it takes to make a satisfied customer.

Last edited:

It is not large -- it take 4X the output power to double the visual brightness

As ArcticDude and Wakrah have said you can't go wrong with JetLasers -- they make excellent high quality products w. features other makers do offer, they stand behind and are proud of the products the make + the customer service is the best of the best both before and importantly after a purchase. They want olny happy customers and will do whatever it takes to make a satisfied customer.
According to the article I linked it actually takes 8X the power to double the brightness for the average person. Pretty sure I'll go JetLasers. I like Sanwu, but their lasers are more on the artistic side, while JetLasers is more on the functional side.

Encap

You can check relative brightness between same and also different wavelengths with this relative brightness calculator: https://slickscreen.github.io/laser-tools/brightness/ Based on CIE standard eye sensitivity. Of, course, every eye is different; these data correspond to the standard eye, as defined by the CIE 1931 (photopic) and CIE 1951 (scotopic) standards
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminosity_function
See as well CIE info which is the international standard on sensitivity of the eye to the visible range of wavelengths also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Commission_on_Illumination

Last edited:
I asked Gray what type of lenses they use, he said they use 3-elements, bringing the 1.4W raw output to 1W, and that he would talk to his staff about my suggestion to use G7/G8 type lenses.

I think encap has it right-- side by side it is only a guess about which is 'brighter' going by the same nm.
So a 3W green only looks a bit brighter' than a 1.5 or 2W.. the factor is 4x--not 2X. SO to see 'double' from a 4W needs to be 16W.. 4W vs 5W is a guess. which is which.

Jetlasers is by far the most owned laser at the forum.
I have hosted 10 Group buys getting members good deals every time-- more than 100 JLs .
AT JL the output is always accurate- most ARE overspec. This is done so that your JL should be spec or better for a long time to come.
Those owners generally treat their JL lasers very carefully- low 'hours' --like new etc.
When listed at the BS&T section they sell quickly.
I just got a super deal on a used JL PL-E Mini 1W 520.. I saw it right after being posted and was the first to call 'dibbs'.
I often suggest that those wanting a JL should make a WTB (want to buy) thread in case a member--happens to need a buyer.

If you have any questions for me--happy to help!!

Len

Last edited:
I think encap has it right-- side by side it is only a guess about which is 'brighter' going by the same nm.
So a 1W green only looks a bit brighter' than a 1.5 or 2W.. the factor is 4x--not 2X.

Jetlasers is by far the most owned laser at the forum.
I have hosted 10 Group buys getting members good deals every time-- more than 100 JLs .
AT JL the output is always accurate- most ARE overspec. This is done so that your JL should be spec or better for a long time to come.
Those owners generally treat their JL lasers very carefully- low 'hours' --like new etc.
When listed at the BS&T section they sell quickly.
I just got a super deal on a used JL PL-E Mini 1W 520.. I saw it right after being posted and was the first to call 'dibbs'.
I often suggest that those wanting a JL should make a WTB (want to buy) thread in case a member--happens to need a buyer.

If you have any questions for me--happy to help!!

Len
The factor is actually 2³=8x for the average person according to the article I linked earlier. Gray himself said it shouldn't be overspec as they use a 3-element lens with the raw diode output being 1.4W, bringing it down to 1W. I have already made my decision, I am going with the PL-E Mini as I like its features better, will order it within the next few days.

Already ordered it. PL-E Mini 520nm 1W with goggles. I used the ones that came with the Gatling until now. Total was 280€ with shipping.

looking forward to your review. Mine is the perfect size. Best host of all JLs. imho

Wakrah

It is not large -- it takes 4X the output power to double the brightness

Interesting, it takes four times the horse power for an aircraft to go twice the speed. I know why though, because of drag due to living in a 3d world and the inverse square rule of a omni-directionally radiated wave, well, due to spreading. That too is due to living in a 3d world.

Typo Post#2
..''So a 1W green only looks a bit brighter' than a 1.5 or 2W.. the factor is 4x--not 2X. SO to see 'double' from a 4W needs to be 16W.. 4W vs 5W is a guess. which is whch.'
should have been:
So a 3W green only looks a bit brighter' than a 1.5 or 2W.. the factor is 4x--not 2X. SO to see 'double' from a 4W needs to be 16W.. 4W vs 5W is a guess. which is which.''

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
What the heck? You changed only one thing hak. "1W" to "3W".

dreaming

According to the article I linked it actually takes 8X the power to double the brightness for the average person. Pretty sure I'll go JetLasers. I like Sanwu, but their lasers are more on the artistic side, while JetLasers is more on the functional side.
May I ask, because I see people say this a lot, what it is that you feel makes jetlasers stuff more functional?

dreaming

The extra features such as internal focusing and side momentary and constant switches.
Thank you. At 9 inches for the mini, they are just a few inches longer than I'd like, although I admit their higher-powered 532nm is tempting.

Maybe one day they'll make a pocket-sized mini-er ple.

For IMO the best small laser look at Sanwu

very nice and many choices-Podo takes good care of the forum.. TY

functional... ? JETLASERS LASERS --
switching is best in the market--Sanwa is also very popular.
JL has excellent rep here- and a forum member associate (me)
Their warranty is for real.. I have never seen a better-made webstore. Pics are the best (TY Gray). The PL-E has input for power by ac/dc converter & tripod (which I suggest highly that you take special care-avoid accidents by fall--& for that they are NOT covered by the warranty.)
When using the AC/DC there is no need to remove batteries--in fact they are being charged at the same time. The focus is exclusive to JL internal so nothing exposed to dust etc. n The machining is excellent.
SO yes functional.

pm is I can help--hak

AND afaik more JLs are owned by members than any other lasers and they retain a lot of their value when/if they DO get sold.
JL Owners tend to treat them very well-never overheat... low hours (many less than 1 hour)
There is a JL LPF account but barely used-- JETLASERS

Gray is our company rep to this forum--he can be contacted at JL.org
There is a bunch of reviews here-- both on the lasers as well as Gray and JL.

JL has made smaller lasers but they are all now discontinued (& 'collectors item') the Titanium TI-B is small-- are now somewhat rare. I even buy broken ones.

see the reviews--

best wishes- & GL with a small laser that uses 18650(s)-- hak

Last edited: