Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jayrob's 445nm Flexmod P3 Maglite Monster Kit (21 Pics)

I've had my eye on Jayrob's Maglite kit for a few months but it has been somewhat of a pipe dream until just recently.

FS: Large Maglite Monster Kits! FlexModP3, Side Button Forward Clicky!

1z6a4bn.jpg

As you could probably tell, I have an acrylic lens in there temporarily until I can get a lens cap for the Aixiz 445 glass lens I have.
qs711v.jpg

Excellent machine work. I like the way it looks like a CD when the light hits it.
9azhx0.jpg

The heatsink fits like a glove where the reflector used to be. Jayrob also included a baggy with all the parts that he removed to turn this into a laser. (Reflector, two bulbs, bulb retaining ring, lens, lens o-ring)
wwndjr.jpg

I ordered the Flexmod P3 hot option at 1.8A and got my diode from DTR press fit into an Aixiz module with leads already attached.

All I needed to do was solder the two wires coming from the switch to the wires on the back end of the driver, and the two wires from the front of the driver to the positive and negative leads of the diode.

Since everything was color coded black and red, there were no issues with figuring out polarity.

2ed5dg9.jpg

The kit came with a page of assembly instructions, but I've spent so much time drooling over his kit thread that I already knew how to put it together. It took about ten minutes to assemble.

I'm using two 32650 batteries with Jayrob's tailcap modification. They fit the host perfectly and there is just enough spring tension to make electrical contact without making it difficult to screw together.
2mn0kjt.jpg

I am astounded how powerful this laser is. My leather wallet doesn't stand a chance against this beast. Plumes of smoke billow from it as soon as I switch the laser on.
2zpl2fl.jpg

The shallower burns are from my 50mw rayfoss greenie.
2n69lqx.jpg

I am really impressed with how bright this laser is. The dot is clearly visible even in broad daylight.
j67dy9.jpg

The beam is very visible indoors even with all the shutters and blinds open, however my camera disagrees. So I don't have any daytime beamshots.

Once the sun goes down I'm going to fog up my room and do some indoor and outdoor beamshots if my camera allows.

EDIT: Fog shots and night shots added.

Here is my makeshift fog machine.
wme528.jpg

I got the idea from this thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/h...better-beam-viewing-cheap-easy-all-58590.html

And now for the pictures you've all been waiting for.
o855k4.jpg

30kg85d.jpg

v7bfci.jpg

2q00sox.jpg

oktv08.jpg

Here are the night shots. My camera distorted some of them a bit.

vs a <5mw red pointer in the fog
33p68vb.jpg

Daytime (no laser in this picture)
20rql4j.jpg

Night time
mtt1d0.jpg

14n0d2e.jpg

2j4rm8i.jpg

28rco4w.jpg

A huge thanks goes out to Jayrob for such great service. He answered all my questions about his kit before ordering. He is really easy to get a hold of. I think the longest I waited for a response from him was about an hour. He helped me figure out what I needed and was extremely helpful and friendly.
I really wish I had the chance to shake his hand.

Thanks a million Jayrob. :thanks:

-Jared

Last edited:

DTR

Re: Jayrob's 445nm Flexmod P3 Maglite Monster Kit

Looking good.:beer:

jayrob

Thanks for the review! :beer:

I would estimate you will have maybe 1.6 or 1.7 Watts with an AixiZ 445 lens. (depending on diode efficiency)

Nice pictures! *handshake*

I need to get myself a LPM and actually meter it. I'm very curious how efficient my diode is.

I feel like I have a lottery scratcher but no fingernails :cryyy:

Re: Jayrob's 445nm Flexmod P3 Maglite Monster Kit (22 Pics)

Just got it metered.

I had a friend of mine who works for a company that manufactures implants take my laser and meter it on the company's LPM.

He said it metered a steady 890mw.

However he said the company's LPM was rated up to 300W. He told me they use lasers for welding materials together.

Maybe the meter is designed for co2 lasers. I wonder if it doesn't measure mine properly because it doesn't measure visible lasers accurately. Or it isn't accurately calibrated for such a relatively low powered laser. Or I messed up when I put it together.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

benmwv

I'm sure that's just because the difference in wavelength. Co2 lasers has very high absorption on many different surfaces (like glass even) so the head probably isn't designed to be spectrally flat for a wide range of wavelengths like standard visible laser lpms are. I'm sure you will get near double that power on a lpm designed for visible lasers.

When I first saw that picture with the spoon bent over the candle... well let's just say the first thing that went through my mind was not "oh a homemade fog machine" lol.

When I first saw that picture with the spoon bent over the candle... well let's just say the first thing that went through my mind was not "oh a homemade fog machine" lol.

same :crackup::crackup::crackup: and then it reminded me of the cookie monster from family guy:whistle:

benmwv

Exactly! I wasn't gonna mention the cookie monster cause I figured nobody would have any clue what I was talking about.

Exactly! I wasn't gonna mention the cookie monster cause I figured nobody would have any clue what I was talking about.

that was such a great episode glad someone knew what i was talking about:tinfoil:

I figured the fog machine would turn some heads.

I'm happy to hear I didn't mess up on the kit.

Great review, great pics! That next to the last photo looks like the beam is creating a rip in space time itself! :eek: And a big thanks to Jayrob for offering this kit!