Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Jayrob 18650 Kit Review

Recently I purchased one of the more recent developments from the Jayrob Laboratories - the 18650 host kit. I actually purchased it for my wife - with the apparent demise of the Kryton GB, I needed suitable replacement for the project.

So I present - the 18650 Jayrob laser, wifey's style! http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-18650-build-kit-easy-assembly-blu-ray-red-43857.html

Harleyandlaser007-1.jpg

Yes, that's Hello Kitty on the laser. But don't be fooled, it's a real LPF-style unit!

Harleyandlaser011.jpg

I used a LCC diode with the FlexDrive set to 350mA plus a Meredith Red lens, for long life and superior burning capabilities.

When I got the host, I almost wanted to keep it for myself. For a 18650 host it's slim and small. The best feature was the massive heatsink included in the package. The laser as set does not even get warm after several minutes of constant operation. The rear reverse clicky is smooth and "girl friendly", it does not take much pressure to turn it on, but not so little that it would accidentally power up in a pocket or purse as the case may be. Of course, the 18650 battery means superior run times between charges.

Since I purchased the "Hot" option, assembly was super easy. That's good, I'm still a bit of a clod with a soldering iron.

Pardon my lack of photography skills, red beams seem to elude me...

Harleyandlaser014.jpg

In a dark room the red beam is a fairly visible, rich red color. The Meredith Red lens, with its tight beam capabilities makes excellent use of the laser's power.

The laser does anything a ~270mW laser can do, light matches, etc.

I even found the perfect carrying case for her laser! And the pink/red batteries are en route from DX: DealExtreme: $8.38 UltraFire Protected 18650 3.7V "2600mAh" Lithium Batteries - Red (2-Battery Pack)

Harleyandlaser009.jpg

To summarize:

Pros
Good fit and finish
Matching heatsink, large and fits perfectly
Smooth clicky switch, easy operation
Large capacity 18650 battery
"Hot" option for quick and easy build
Jayrob is awesome to deal with and ships fast
Wifey loved the laser

Cons
Had to give laser to my wife :p

Bottom line - Get this kit, you will not regret it. I could have set current higher since I underestimated the size of the heatsink. Awesome build quality when completed. Rating: Epic.

Last edited:

mfo

I was going to ask what's up with the queer stickers haha. I better not let my girl see this...

The little kitty stickers garbed my attention. As I was thinking to my self WTF!
I glanced over at the OP's forum name Crossfire Started thinking well that rhymes with cross dreser. LOL

Then I saw that this build was for your Wife.
Lucky you.
Wish my wife wanted her own laser. My wife thinks these are little kid toys. She even gives me a a hard time when I take them outside to play with:yabbem:

jayrob

Hey thanks for the review! :cool:

I enjoyed the read...

Glad you guys like the kit! :)

with the apparent demise of the Kryton GB, I needed suitable replacement for the project.

Noooo! Don't give up on the Kryton GB!

It seems that members either already have enough Kryton barrels, or that they don't understand how awesome they are, in the area of cool factor and heatsinking abilities.

BTW, nice review!

Believe me, I don't want to give up on the Krytons. My wife wanted a couple of Grooves and I was ready to order that Beast.