Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I've noticed people using repurposed flashlight

Saakee

chassis to build lasers and since I like my Fenix TA20 so much, I thought it would be nice to use the same chassis for a laser and wondered if any of you guys know of someone that uses it or if there're parts that can drop in so it can still use its l/m/h/s for driving laser output and use the momentary paddle for tactical. I REALLY would like to add a blue laser to my AR-15 for the lulz and photo shoots. I was going to buy a wicked/think laser but after reading the many problems people have lad, the cool chassis they use just aren't worth the hassle.
I've read up on building lasers and I'm definitely not willing to try it out since I'd just lose money on the build.

anselm

Hello and welcome to the forum!:wave:

I'm not aware of anyone having used that particular flashlight for a laser before.
If you really wanted to, you could send your flashlight to one of our resident machinists,
and he could make you a custom heatsink/diode housing for your flashlight.
Maybe he could even hook you up with the rest of the pieces and "pre-build" the
thing for you, so you won't have to do much other than maybe soldering a connection or two.

Right off the top of my head, here are a couple of members with a lathe, but not
everyone will do custom jobs, or build the whole thing for you. Try PMing them,
or posting in one their sales threads.

JayRob (likely your best bet)
Flaminpyro (not sure if he does custom heatsinks on a regular basis)
Ehgemus (I think he doesn't do flashlights though, only complete original designs)
Mohrenberg (not sure if he will do a one-off)
Eudaimonium (he's in Europe)
GBD (not sure if he is offering service to others)

chassis to build lasers and since I like my Fenix TA20 so much, I thought it would be nice to use the same chassis for a laser and wondered if any of you guys know of someone that uses it or if there're parts that can drop in so it can still use its l/m/h/s for driving laser output and use the momentary paddle for tactical. I REALLY would like to add a blue laser to my AR-15 for the lulz and photo shoots. I was going to buy a wicked/think laser but after reading the many problems people have lad, the cool chassis they use just aren't worth the hassle.
I've read up on building lasers and I'm definitely not willing to try it out since I'd just lose money on the build.

Someone can correct me, But I think you can't use the l/m/h/s that your flashlight has on it, for a Laser diode you need it set up with a driver, there are l/m/h/s driver people make on this forum that will work and do what you want it to, or Close depending on the laser nm you pick...

Saakee

I thought that the ring|l/m/h/s module on it might not be able to be repurposed for it but I was hopeful.
Cool, once I have a couple hundred set by, I'll contact those you suggested and see what it would take. if the ring on the fenix can't be used or it costs too much to modify it, then I'll look in to a different model, maybe just buy one from survival lasers or some other blue laser (or maybe a violet one). I wanted to go with the fenix ta20 chassis because I all ready have a ta20 on my AR-15 and I like symmetry.

Blue is a bad choice as well. The output of the 'cheap' 445nm diodes we use are multimode. WHich means the output isn't a nice dot. It's a fairly high divergent line.

405nm would be a better choice as far as beam specs, but has considerably less visibility.

^^^^ but how often do we need a nice dot? the actual beam is gorgeous!!!

michael.

I think when dealing with weapon mounted lasers... how pretty the beam is, is probably fairly low on the 'things to care about' list.

Saakee

I think when dealing with weapon mounted lasers... how pretty the beam is, is probably fairly low on the 'things to care about' list.

Actually, as it's for photoshoots (I'm picking a streamlight tlr-2 sooner or later for actual tactical uses so i can shed the weight of the flashlight/s and mount/s) pretty is better than utility but utility and pretty is even better if I can use it for normal uses as well.