Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

is this acceptable?

MG100

this is my 1st real laser build that didnt break after a day, and it's was surprisingly easy to make and as I don't have a job and iam still in high school It had to be cheap and it was only about $25.

the materials used

18650 battery (from a old laptop)

aluminum 18650 battery usb charger ($2 from Ebay)

scrap aluminum (free from my school)

1W? driver (from a old flashlight that I modded by taking out the transformer to make it about 1W after the real laser driver burnt out and I didnt want to wait 2 weeks to get it from china again)

the diode NDB7412T (from ebay 1W 1000mW Laser Diode Blue 445nm to 18 5 6mm | eBay )

the lens/lens host (from ebay got it for about $3 forget the exact one that why there's no link)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7C21D2O7yjqb3VDZ2F5V0VQLXc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7C21D2O7yjqdFoxUi1LRm5fREk

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7C21D2O7yjqaEEzbjFTemE4Vk0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7C21D2O7yjqS3QxWDlUNDM1ODg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7C21D2O7yjqaGpSeEFXWTVKU0U

so its basicly the driver from the flashlight that had a button sticking threw a aluminum tube with a usb on one end of the tube to fit into the usb charger and a thick aluminum washer holding the front part of a diode lens host on the other end of the tube.

I machined the washer part and the tube then I sanded down the 1850 usb charger to make it match the tube and washer part.

tell me what you think I know this isn't the right way to do it but i haven't seen one like it especially one that doubles as a usb charger.

Last edited:

Not a bad job! I remember when i was starting out and getting stuff from eBay and all that'd end up happening was that I'd be pleased to see the red laser diode light up, only to see it burn out because I had insufficient heat sinking.

Last edited:

GSS

Really nice! and a nice pleasant post for a change. Keep it up:)

MG100

well its not really a collection I only have 1 laser lol

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Was you referring to what is in my signature? That is just a link, and not a comment back to you :D No one laser isn't a collection but you can still set up your own thread there if you'd like. As you most definitely will have a collection soon enough :eg: ;)

MG100

O ok sorry this is one of the most complicated forums I have ever been on

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
That is ok :) I have changed the colour of the link, as admittedly it did blend in as part of the post.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
No problem :) It saves anyone else thinking the same, as they most probably would. What other lasers do you have planned?

MG100

I want to get a 6w and make a better host for it but as I said funds are tight and it couldn't be over $60

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Are you sticking to portables, or would you not mind building a lab. DTR sells NUBM44's but they are much more than $60 unfortunately. And you need a considerable amount of heat sinking for a diode like that. The other point to make is how incredibly dangerous those diodes are. They can run at roughly 6.8W so nearly 7 times more than your 1 watt laser. But the power might as well be 20x more.

Last edited:

MG100

Well I have a lathe and mill and a bunch of 2500mah look battery's that I traded a kid at school for a laptop that I bought for $35 so the power isn't a problem because I could just make a huge host for the battery's and I plan on getting a projector and then selling the rest of the diodes and keeping 1 or 2
And as for the driver I am as planning on just getting a cheap Chinese voltage/amp boost buck regulator for around $5 should be nice and cheap possible even profitable

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
The fact that you have your own mill and lathe is a benefit. What projector are you getting, as you are best checking with DTR to make sure they have these diodes inside or just get one from him, to not risk wasting money. You need a driver that is limited to 4.5A. You need one of these 4A SXD Super X-Drive Laser Driver - NDB7A75 - NUBM44 - NUBM07E | eBay and you need to input 7-12V or 2 18650's at 3.7V (7.4V).

MG100

Well iam not sure what projector I just know I can't really justify spending over $100 on a laser and the only other way I can get a laser over 5w is from a broken projector