Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is there a better bang for buck laser than this o-like 50mw?

EDIT** I'm down to 3 different lasers. Please see post #9 to help me decide between the 3 and why. Thanks!

Hi all! I shine my current laser (5mw green underspec to about 20mw) out in a huge farm/field/park. My roommate has several 30mw-70mw lasers of different nm. Things I want in a laser:

1) prefer pen shape with AAA batteries

2) want a green laser

3) I'd like it to be strong enough that I can see the beam during daytime.

4) popping balloons and lighting matches/burning plastic is cool, but not a must. I don't want something that will be burning holes in my walls, ha!

5) I use the laser going outside and shining it for hundreds of yards on things such as trees.

6) I don't know a lot about how certain lasers have to cool off after a certain amount of time. But I do know my current 5mw green laser doesn't seem to have a problem with me playing with it on and off for a solid 15 minutes.

7) I'm assuming a 50-75mw green pen style would be ideal for me. Here is one I found online from what you guys said is a reputable dealer.

Silver chrome green laser 50mW/good finish [OLSGL50] - $26.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

is there a laser that will fit my needs (above 7 items) better than this laser?? If so where? I'd like to buy something for under 35$. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Coby

50-75mW will not be enough to see the beam during daytime. You will see the dot very clearly though.

Also it's not enough to burn anything if you can't focus it. I know this because I currently have a 75mW

I'm assuming your <5mW has such a long duty cycle because it's just not very powerful. Stonger lasers will have a duty cycle.

O-like has been letting down their customers lately. I would suggest checking out what Lazerer has to offer. Go for the larger hosts. Those tiny ones--while cheap--will only let you run the laser mere seconds because it'll heat up too fast (the duty cycle Coby is talking about). Many of the hosts are focusable too, which is nice.

As Coby mentioned, you won't be able to see the beam during daytime. Even with higher powered lasers that is difficult; the sun just puts out a LOT more power in any given area than your laser ever could. You might be able to get away with it at dusk or dawn, but not in full sunlight.

Cel

Hi all! I shine my current laser (5mw green underspec to about 20mw) out in a huge farm/field/park. My roommate has several 30mw-70mw lasers of different nm. Things I want in a laser:

is there a laser that will fit my needs (above 7 items) better than this laser?? If so where? I'd like to buy something for under 35$. Thanks everyone!

Your laser is very overspec (400%).
There isn't any laser for now that fits your needs, unless you have maybe 800mw+ green, but you won't have that one for under 35$.

Which lasers (colors) does your roommate have?

50-75mW will not be enough to see the beam during daytime. You will see the dot very clearly though.

Also it's not enough to burn anything if you can't focus it. I know this because I currently have a 75mW

I'm assuming your <5mW has such a long duty cycle because it's just not very powerful. Stonger lasers will have a duty cycle.

I am sorry. I meant be able to see the beam in daytime like inside my house. Is that possible? I realize out in the direct sun is going to be next to impossible w/ what i'm asking for.

O-like has been letting down their customers lately. I would suggest checking out what Lazerer has to offer. Go for the larger hosts. Those tiny ones--while cheap--will only let you run the laser mere seconds because it'll heat up too fast (the duty cycle Coby is talking about). Many of the hosts are focusable too, which is nice.

As Coby mentioned, you won't be able to see the beam during daytime. Even with higher powered lasers that is difficult; the sun just puts out a LOT more power in any given area than your laser ever could. You might be able to get away with it at dusk or dawn, but not in full sunlight.

That sucks on the larger host part. I feel they are just so bulky and would be annoying to throw in your pocket and take around to play with here and there. how much time would you expect me to be able to run a 75mw green laser in a pen style host before the duty cycle would kick in?

Coby

I guess inside your house would be possible, it all depends on how much light comes in through your windows :p

I am going for a 300mW greenie from Skylasers right now but I'm sure less would also be suitable for you. Around 150-200mW I think.

Then again you state you'd like to use AAA batteries so the heaviest greenie with AAA that I can think of is the green penstyle 150mW laser from skylasers.

That's the one I have currently but mine came in very underspec and is now back on its way to China for a new one or a refund. Skylasers has very good customer support. There's a thread about the laser I'm talking about in the reviews subforum of this board.

This link: review-skylasers-150mw-532nm-lp-

Last edited:
I guess inside your house would be possible, it all depends on how much light comes in through your windows :p

I am going for a 300mW greenie from Skylasers right now but I'm sure less would also be suitable for you. Around 150-200mW I think.

Then again you state you'd like to use AAA batteries so the heaviest greenie with AAA that I can think of is the green penstyle 150mW laser from skylasers.

That's the one I have currently but mine came in very underspec and is now back on its way to China for a new one or a refund. Skylasers has very good customer support. There's a thread about the laser I'm talking about in the reviews subforum of this board.

This link: review-skylasers-150mw-532nm-lp-

see thats exactly what I'm looking for I think. Sleek, at least 50mw even if it came underspec since they claim 150. When I went to their site though it says 150mw is like 75$. Is that correct? Their 50mw is only 31$ which is in my asking price range, however, my concern obviously is that the 50mw will come in underspec as well. I guess I can survive without the pen sleek style, not a huge ordeal. Heres the 3 I have it down to:

I'm considering getting one of these 3:

http://lazerer.com/Green_Laser_Pointer?product_id=222

http://lazerer.com/Green_Laser_Pointer/LAZERER LZMN532-50 532nm 50mW Focusable Green Laser Pointer

http://lazerer.com/Green_Laser_Pointer?product_id=179

Thoughts on the above???

Last edited:
Your laser is very overspec (400%).
There isn't any laser for now that fits your needs, unless you have maybe 800mw+ green, but you won't have that one for under 35$.

Which lasers (colors) does your roommate have?

he has green/red/purple. (and his dad has an expensive yellow one)

based on my post right above this. I listed 3 lasers. I really like the stick532 as it is more a stick sized model that I'm looking for. However, I wouldn't be oppossed to the other 2 if you can give me a reason why they would be better. Thanks!

X FLY

I'd get this: LZTN - 532nm 100mW Smallest Green Laser Pointer because it's simple and small yet powerful. From my own experience the duty cycle won't really be a problem unless you are trying to cut plastic, tape etc since it's not likely you will have it powered on for even 10 seconds at a time.

I'd get this: LZTN - 532nm 100mW Smallest Green Laser Pointer because it's simple and small yet powerful. From my own experience the duty cycle won't really be a problem unless you are trying to cut plastic, tape etc since it's not likely you will have it powered on for even 10 seconds at a time.

Ok so what about the one you recommend above (the world's small 100mw green) vs if I were to step up and pay the extra 15$ for this one:

LZSK - 532nm 100mW Focusable Green Laser Pointer

which is just the 100mw version of the one I listed above. Then which would you choose and why?

X FLY

I would get the focusable one coz it's focusable (obviously) but also because it has a longer duty cucly, longer battery life and it's sturdier. Also it's more likely to be upspec.

If you are looking for a "serious pointer" that would be better, but for a more "casual pointer" that you just carry with you everywhere in your pocket I'd get the smaller one.

Last edited:

Coby

I would get the focusable one coz it's focusable (obviously) but also because it has a longer duty cucly, longer battery life and it's sturdier. Also it's more likely to be upspec.

If you are looking for a "serious pointer" that would be better, but for a more "casual pointer" that you just carry with you everywhere in your pocket I'd get the smaller one.

I'm with Xfly on this, for 15 USD extra just take the focusable one, you'll be a lot happier.

Once you get used to using Li-ion batteries you'll never want to go back to AAA :p

why not just get the ebay special....those are lpming over 100mw on some...they dont meet all your criteria but there super cheap

viking

I think you would be better off buying one from one of the veterans on this forum like I did. YOBREASAL did a bad-ass job on the 2 I got from him! I'm sure you can get a lot more bang-for-your-buck dealing in LPF!!!