Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it worth it?

Ok i see building and DIY is always fun and i will mostlikely build my first laser.

Would any of you have done anything diffrent getting into the hobbie or have any advice besides the note worthy not buying cheap?

Oh. Make sure that you are patient. Otherwise you will end up killing lots of diodes at first like me.

There's allot of satisfaction in building your own. More than words can say. Seeing that beam for the first time is akin to hearing a newborn baby cry! And it's sooo easy these days. You can get a diode with the leads already soldered on, and pressed into a module. Plus a host mostly assembled. All you have to do is solder TWO wires together. Just make sure you are careful about static electricity. ;)

One nice thing about lasers is the field/hobby is not a static one. Things are changing, new powers and wavelengths. Better hosts and drivers. You can go from a 5 dollar red pointer to a RGB projector with lots of power, to a CO2 gas laser.

Lots of areas to learn and develop. Thats what keeps me interested. Even in a single field like diodes or gas lasers there are so many types and versions. Always interesting.

My .02

Last edited:
One nice thing about lasers is the field/hobby is not a static one. Things are changing, new powers and wavelengths. Better hosts and drivers. You can go from a 5 dollar red pointer to a RGB projector with lots of power, to a CO2 gas laser.

Lots of areas to learn and develop. Thats what keeps me interested. Even in a single field like diodes or gas lasers there are so many types and versions. Always interesting.

My .02

Thats what i am looking for because i get bored with the normal RC stuff because it becomes repetative. I just wish i wasent always atracted to costly hobbies:eg:

PS if my spelling is bad it is because im typing on my ipod.

Thats what i am looking for because i get bored with the normal RC stuff because it becomes repetative. I just wish i wasent always atracted to costly hobbies:eg:

PS if my spelling is bad it is because im typing on my ipod.

I like the mini RC helicopters. But I'm the same way. I pull them out once every six months for a day or two. They're fun for the moment.