Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it safe to look at to the green dot?

Alexander1821

Hello there!

I just bought a green laser (laser 303) it can burn matches and has a pretty cool bright dot.
I know i should not point it to cars planes... any living creature or reflective surfaces ofc, but i don´t know if it is safe to look at to the green dot on the white wall when my room is dark. Cause it looks so bright and i guess white wall does reflect some of the beam. So what do guys think about this issue?

Forum keep alive post or real newbie? You decide. If when you look at the dot does it leave an after image like a flash bulb would going off? If it does, don't look at it. I'm not answering in regard to "safe". Just saying.

Alexander1821

Forum keep alive post or real newbie? You decide. If when you look at the dot does it leave an after image like a flash bulb would going off? If it does, don't look at it. I'm not answering in regard to "safe". Just saying.
No there is no after image like that. Thx for the reply :)

The diffuse reflection of a common pointer won't hurt you but be reasonable and stay 3 feet or more away as energy decreases by the square, also beware of reflective surfaces that can cause a spectacular reflection.

The strongest 303 laser from ebay I have tested is 80mw and the 304 at Sanwu is the same 80mw so if you are burning matches on your desk 12-18 inches away from your face then you should wear laser safety glasses, but shining the beam onto a wall and moving the spot around at a distance of a meter or more away provided you know there is nothing reflective won't hurt your eyes.

That said I would not sit and stare at the stationary spot on a white wall a meter away in the dark for an unreasonable length of time but even that is not going to do any lasting damage however I don't recommend doing that, staring at a stationary spot for an unreasonable length of time could produce a temporary after image just like driving a car when the sun is glaring off the chrome bumper of the car ahead and you have to continue looking ahead to drive, but looking at it and making circles ( moving it around ) is not going to hurt your eyes as long as there is nothing reflective, that is the diffuse reflection is not going to hurt your eyes but a spectacular reflection such as from a shiny surface can hurt your eyes so if there is any doubt then wear the laser safety glasses but just like a laser show as long as you know there is nothing reflective you can look at the 80mw or less spot from a common 303 pointer on your wall a meter or more away, I have looked at the spot of a 1w green laser on my shop wall several meters away but I only glance it if not moving it around just to be cautious, again you must know there is nothing reflective and only lase in a safe manner.

Last edited:

Alexander1821

Thx for the replies guys i already ordered my safety glasses i am asking this question not because i don´t wanna use glasses i am asking because it is gonna take some time to get the glasses from the delviery thx to coronavirus it takes too much time... and i wanted to have fun with my laser untill my glasses come but i was not sure if it is safe or not.

I wouldn't light matches without wearing the proper attenuation laser safety glasses, but looking at the beam/spot in your backyard or carefully/safely on a wall a meter or more away is ok as long as you don't have anything reflective to bounce the beam back, that said anytime you handle/use a laser without safety glasses you have to insure you can do so safely.......that is if your phone rings and you turn towards another wall with a mirror and zap yourself that's on you, I'm only saying the diffuse reflection of an 80mw dot @ 1 meter is not going to hurt your retina.

Enjoy and stay safe. :)