Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is It Safe to look at the laser dot?

I recently got a 150mw Endeavor from Nova Lasers and it is one hell of a laser, i couldn't be more impressed. I am going to do review on it once i get my camera which should be tomorrow. Anyways, I still don't have protection goggles yet and i was wondering if it is okay to look at the dot when shined on the floor or wall? It seems like it will hurt your eyes similar to looking at a welding light because it is so bright. At the same time these lasers have an IR filter so i am confused if it is okay to look at the dot in close rage?

In general, as long as the laser is well below 500mw, it is safe to look at the diffuse reflection. However, the goggles are there in case you accidentally hit a reflective surface. If you're using it without goggles, don't point it at glass, metal, or shiny plastic objects.

In addition, if you're burning stuff close-up, I would definitely use goggles. Otherwise, as long as your eyes are more than 1ft away from the dot, I wouldn't worry too much about diffuse reflections (like what you'd see off a white wall).

Ash

I don't know that he's 100% correct on this.
I (personally) find that looking at a >400mW green "dot" on a wall from a laser is extremely uncomfortable (like looking at the sun), and I refuse to do it without the proper eye protection.
But, I also know that spending $20-$50 on safety glasses now will save me from spending $1,000's on eye-doctor visits later.
I tend not to do things that may permanently damage my vision without being 100% certain that I am protected. :cool:

Assuming you have a quality IR filter in your laser the general feeling is that it is ok to look at a 150mW laser dot? I am not surprised that no one comes right out and says it is perfectly safe because maybe it isn't?

Not trying to thread-jack, hopefully this helps contribute. :yh:

IsaacT

I feel like Diffuse reflections are not given the proper consideration....I have a feeling that they can be just as bad for you, but maybe I am just being paranoid....IMO if it leaves after images, it is probably bad for you....

I have been planning a purchase of a 100 mW Aries laser for quite a while, but have been holding back partially because I too am concerned about the laser dot danger.

I do understand the necessity of goggles and will NOT purchase a laser without proper certified protection, but I do want to be able to enjoy the laser indoors without goggles from time to time. I will NOT be doing any burning, rather I will setup the laser on a tripod and shine it at the wall at least 15 feet away. If I did do this its not like I would stare endlessly at the dot, but I would probably look at it, especially at first since I have never even seen a green dot and I would be very curious! Is this something like what you had in mind rebel4evr114?

I am not convinced that this even safe though and I will not risk my eyes at all. Maybe lasers aren't for me, or maybe I need a 5 mW.