Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is a beam possible with <5mW of 405nm?

Some members have asked if such a feat is possible for such a laser, to be able to show us what we all desire, A BEAM! Can <5mW's of 405nm achieve that? Yes! Um.....

With fog hehehe :yh:

Taken with LaserGlow Electra 4mW. So now, no more excuses beams aren't possible, unless it's an IR/UV laser :D

11322-dsc-0758.jpg

11323-dsc-0762.jpg

11321-dsc-0760.jpg

Okey. :p

-Alex

i use smoke instead... everytime i want to see the beams i just start to throw some prawns on the barbie(BBQ).... food-check.
light off.
beams on.
enjoy the light show.

Some members have asked if such a feat is possible for such a laser, to be able to show us what we all desire, A BEAM! Can <5mW's of 405nm achieve that? Yes! Um.....

With fog hehehe :yh:

Taken with LaserGlow Electra 4mW. So now, no more excuses beams aren't possible, unless it's an IR/UV laser :D

Okey. :p

-Alex

Good job Alex!:kewlpics:

i use smoke instead... everytime i want to see the beams i just start to throw some prawns on the barbie(BBQ).... food-check.
light off.
beams on.
enjoy the light show.

That sounds fishy to me.:crackup:

Alan

Looks great Alex - Congrats and thanks for posting the pics! That's a beautiful color :beer:

What's your best guess on how many mW of 405 you need before you start seeing the beam in a fogless, average outdoor, nigh time environment?
I only ask b/c I like to show off my lasers (and don't have a fog machine) lol :D

-jeff

Last edited:
Looks great Alex - Congrats and thanks for posting the pics! That's a beautiful color :beer:

What's your best guess on how many mW of 405 you need before you start seeing the beam in a fogless, average outdoor, nigh time environment?
I only ask b/c I like to show off my lasers (and don't have a fog machine) lol :D

-jeff

Thanks Jeff!

Not too sure about 405nm, don't have too much experienced with it. Hopefully another member will jump in. I would expect 100mW+ :)

-Alex

Nice catch Alex :p Glad to see it ended up coming in :D

I actually ordered a 405nm 5mw off eBay just to try, about two months ago. Should come in some time soon as 2-3 months is unfortunately the time it takes for something to get here from China :/

Anyway, nice beam shots with the fog. Hadn't really seen a 405 beam before :yh:

Nice catch Alex :p Glad to see it ended up coming in :D

I actually ordered a 405nm 5mw off eBay just to try, about two months ago. Should come in some time soon as 2-3 months is unfortunately the time it takes for something to get here from China :/

Anyway, nice beam shots with the fog. Hadn't really seen a 405 beam before :yh:

Yeah, stuff from China takes awhile :eek:

-Alex

-jeff

I can't give you a good answer to that question, and I don't want to give dangerous advice but if you want to show it off to others, with a 405nm I would get something 500mW+. My 590mW 405nm has a visible beam, but it still looks like some faint wisps of almost nothing, although it will make a really bright dot. This makes them more dangerous because it seems like they shouldn't be very powerful. At that power level you have to be careful pointing it around inside, if focused on something for only several seconds it can start burning even at much greater distance than you would expect. If you show off your lasers to others, a laser that burns stuff impresses people as much as one with a very visible beam.

Alan

ha nice pics. And nice host!

I managed to see a beam with my HeNe laser. I think The sticker says. 1.11 mW
ALOT of fog was used

^Neat! 633nm? :D

It's strange though, sometimes the beam on my Electra looked grayish like, very strange :(

-Alex

^Neat! 633nm? :D

It's strange though, sometimes the beam on my Electra looked grayish like, very strange :(

-Alex

Many people here have said that their 405nm looks gray, I guess that since it's at the edge of the visible spectrum everyone probably doesn't see it the same.

Alan

Many people here have said that their 405nm looks gray, I guess that since it's at the edge of the visible spectrum everyone probably doesn't see it the same.

Alan

Hmmmm.....and after further evaluation 5mW's isn't very dim, but not very bright either. It's a really small dot and if you didn't know where it was you'd have to take a minute to see it!

-Alex