Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR question

Does anyone know the difference between a 808nm a 980nm and a 1064nm dpss? What one has better divergence? Does anyone know what one of these could burn from a further distance?

That's like asking what's faster? A Ford, Chevy or Dodge?
There is a lot more to it than that.

Those wavelengths are dangerous to work with, you would be better off with a C02 laser.

Why do you want to burn at distance with an invisible spectrum laser?

Last edited:
I want to pop a long balloon line... I was just wondering what would work best for that?

405nm is the balloon popping king for a handheld. DTR has them, you can get a BDR-209 in the 22mm module with the 510 adaptor and simply screw it onto a vape battery box.

If you get the BDR-209 " most powerful " get it with the G2 lens bottom right. >>> https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/bdr-209-405nm-16x-diodes

You must be very careful as that beam is an eye hazard for a long ways.

Here's a comparison, these vides are not mine personally.

2.5 watts of multi mode 445 vs. 0.5 watts of single mode 405
The 445 even need a helper lens to do the job....slowly.

2.5 watts 445 multi mode.
0.5 watt of 405 single mode.

Last edited:
I already own a bdr-209... I was looking for a ir with good divergence... Or the best that is available.

Hey redcowboy why do you suggest the g2 with the bdr209?

It gives a better output for most lasers. It works really well with blues and purple/violets. Dtr's G2 gives and extra 30% increase in wattage compared to AIXIZ ones I think.

Rivem

I'm pretty sure 980nm is usually better than 808nm, but a good collimated 1064nm DPSS will beat most diode lasers in divergence.

Needless to say, you're going to need very good safety goggles and a way to see the spot for adjustment on any of them.

Pman

Please edit your posts Yoshi rather than doubling:) Thanks;)

diachi

I'm pretty sure 980nm is usually better than 808nm, but a good collimated 1064nm DPSS will beat most diode lasers in divergence.

Needless to say, you're going to need very good safety goggles and a way to see the spot for adjustment on any of them.

1064nm would probably be the way to go ... Go for a nice Q-Switched 1064nm for that added "pop". :p Divergence and beam quality should be far superior - at least compared to multi-watt 808 or 980nm diodes. However, Yoshi, your camera won't see 1064nm and your eyes definitely won't see it - at all. You'll need some other means of locating the beam. It won't be particularly cheap for such a laser either, although cheaper than many other DPSS options...

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_ID=296

And of course, safety glasses.

Please edit your posts Yoshi rather than doubling:) Thanks;)

Pretty sure I've asked him to do that before but to no avail... :whistle:

Last edited:
Dang so 1064nm won't even show up on camera? I kinda want that being you say it will burn from a longer distance but how the heck would you know what it's doing if camera Dosent even pick it up? Can 980nm show up on camera?

Rivem

Dang so 1064nm won't even show up on camera? I kinda want that being you say it will burn from a longer distance but how the heck would you know what it's doing if camera Dosent even pick it up? Can 980nm show up on camera?

Remove the IR filter, and you might see 1064nm depending upon your chip/lenses. CCD/CMOS sensors tend to get pretty close to 1064nm in sensitivity, so it's really just a matter of getting the filter out of the right camera.

You're might need to remove the filter for 980nm, but it should definitely be visible to most any camera. TV remotes are usually around 940nm as a filter test, but transmission really drops off in most filters right after.

Using an IR detector card like diachi linked will help to adjust the laser.

One of the smartphone thermal cameras may also work with 1064nm, but I'm not 100% sure.

I don't think you'll like 980nm with what you've said so far though. Divergence isn't as bad as 808nm, but it's still not great at all without unconventional optics, and the wavelength isn't well-absorbed for burning.

diachi

Remove the IR filter, and you might see 1064nm depending upon your chip/lenses. CCD/CMOS sensors tend to get pretty close to 1064nm in sensitivity, so it's really just a matter of getting the filter out of the right camera.

You're might need to remove the filter for 980nm, but it should definitely be visible to most any camera. TV remotes are usually around 940nm as a filter test, but transmission really drops off in most filters right after.

Using an IR detector card like diachi linked will help to adjust the laser.

One of the smartphone thermal cameras may also work with 1064nm, but I'm not 100% sure.

I don't think you'll like 980nm with what you've said so far though. Divergence isn't as bad as 808nm, but it's still not great at all without unconventional optics, and the wavelength isn't well-absorbed for burning.

Yeah, you might see something with a CCD if it has the right optics and no IR filter, but even if you do it'll likely be very dim. Wavelength range on CMOS isn't as good as CCD as far as I know. Detection card is the easiest way to visualize it. Same goes for 980nm as that's also completely invisible to your eyes.

spectral-response-ccd.jpg

Last edited:
So in short the 1064 has the best divergence and would pop a balloon from the furthest distance? I was gonna get one from jetlasers.. Price isn't really the issue I just want a nice ir laser that will pop a balloon from like 20 feet away.