Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ir CD burner diy questions.

C

carulli

I am planing on building an ir laser from a cd burner and i was wondering what the best drives to get diodes out of are (52x 32x??), also how many amps and volts should i run it at. what sort of output would i get?

thanks

cd burner diodes usually are only 80 or so mW, if you only want burning power you should just buy a better one off ebay or something

C

carulli

I cannot order lasers from ebay scice importing lasers is illigal.

then i guess you are pretty much stuck with optical drives - in which case i wouldn't drive them over 100mA

C

carulli

MarioMaster said:
then i guess you are pretty much stuck with optical drives - in which case i wouldn't drive them over 100mA

100ma at how many volts.

carulli said:
[quote author=MarioMaster link=1212187580/0#3 date=1212189115]then i guess you are pretty much stuck with optical drives - in which case i wouldn't drive them over 100mA

100ma at how many volts.[/quote]
It really doesn't matter, anything over 2.5v should work.

when you regulate current volts figure themselves out - IR diodes tend to be in the 2v area

Bionic-Badger said:
Can't you just pop one out of a 5mW green laser. They're like 350mW or something.
He can't import any green lasers, that's why he is using a CD burner one. Also, the diodes in CD burners are different than pump diodes for green lasers, but I guess it doesn't really matter because all he wants to use them for is burning.

carulli said:
I cannot order lasers from ebay scice importing lasers is illigal.

Importing an entire laser, yes. But as far as I know you should have no problem with just buying the diode itself. There is no possible way customs can look at it and know how strong it will be. Not to mention they probably wont even know what the hell it is.

C

carulli

GooeyGus said:
[quote author=carulli link=1212187580/0#2 date=1212188614]I cannot order lasers from ebay scice importing lasers is illigal.

Importing an entire laser, yes. But as far as I know you should have no problem with just buying the diode itself. There is no possible way customs can look at it and know how strong it will be. Not to mention they probably wont even know what the hell it is. [/quote]

thanks i have sent an eail to customs to confirm.

^Lawl - "But Mr. police man, I'm only importing the COMPONENTS of a nuclear weapon, not the whole thing!"

C

carulli

I have decided on using a pump diode from a green laser but I have a few questions, firstly can i put one of these diodes into an aixiz module or will it not fit? Secondly what do i run these at to achive maximum output, do I need a special driver or can i use the driver atached. I also found out that I can import lasers into Aus.

[edit]Will this laser have a pump diode that will output aproximatly 300mw? http://cgi.ebay.com/Best-Powerful-5...ryZ14954QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem [/edit]

carulli said:
100ma at how many volts.

You have made the IR laser succesful?
I havd a Philips 32x IR laser diode, and first I have hooked it on the original Aixiz driver circuit...
It burned, but only a bit. Then I have made the driver circuit, and I run this diode at 81 mA, but
it's dead :(.
Then I have to find anothe IR diode, but I want to find a 52x diode, and I hope that this can
be run at 100 mA.
If you make new progress with your laser, please post this.

woop

carulli said:
I have decided on using a pump diode from a green laser but I have a few questions, firstly can i put one of these diodes into an aixiz module or will it not fit? Secondly what do i run these at to achive maximum output, do I need a special driver or can i use the driver atached. I also found out that I can import lasers into Aus.

[edit]Will this laser have a pump diode that will output aproximatly 300mw?  http://cgi.ebay.com/Best-Powerful-5...ryZ14954QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem [/edit]
there is no way the pump diode for a 5mw green would be 300mw
my 30mW green has an input of 250mA at 2V. the pump would be operating at less than 300mW.
probably expect 40-80mW pump in a 5mW green.
I reckon you would be better off with a cd burner.

artix

Forget the optical drives or green lasers! Get a 200mw IR diode from Senkat, they are only $7.49!