Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IQS #80 Pen - $18

Bobby

I just received the new green laser pen from ItemQuickShip (IQS):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Deluxe-Sup-Visible-Beam-Green-Laser-Pointer-80-USFast-/120740650587?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1cb41e5b#ht_1462wt_905

As a comparison to the High Quality#120 Green Laser Pointer Visible Beam W/Box I previously reviewed as part of the IQS Round-up review, this little guy is ½ the price and is purported as a “#80” – 2/3 the power of the “#120”.

The one I received arrived in a nice box, with batteries but no paperwork. The eBay sale page says batteries are NOT included, but IQS says they will be… J

DSC_0008.jpg

Note that there is no label like on the #120; also note that it is slightly shorter:

DSC_0015.jpg

The nospin LPM measured it at a peak of 116mW, and stabilized at 111mW – although after a few runs, it was hitting 105 stably; AAA batteries do not have much staying-power, huh? J

DSC_0980.jpg

I will attempt to test divergence later and update this post.

All in all, for $18 ($17 for LPM members if you contact him), this appears to be a good buy. Also, as always, IQS is a fast shipper and stands by their products. Strong recommendation if you’re looking for a good green pen.

Again, my thanks to everyone on this forum for encouraging responsible laser hobbyists!

Bobby

Last edited:

Bobby

Updated with note that batteries will be included and that LPM members get $1 off ... :)

cd520

Nice output power but I wonder how much is IR. I have purchased multiple pens from IQS before and have had hit or miss on the 532's. Personally with the 532's my track record was only about 60% of them being good and 40% being pretty much garbage. On a good note he was good to deal with and shipped out replacements.

Bobby

I need to get an IR filter to test with.

On other's tests, I have seen max of ~ 18% IR.

On my #300 from IQS (tested at 400mW), when I remove the focusing assembly, the power went up to 500+mW, which led me to believe that either there is an IR filter on it, or the focusing array has a LOT of loss :)

Nice. If I didn't just drop way too much on a 589 and ML Argon I'd snag one of these. IQS usually has pretty damned good products and stand behind them if you get a dud.

it came in a few minutes ago, the batteries were dead so i got new ones, i cant even pop a balloon. should i return it?

Mo13

Quick tip (Though it may just be my monitor): I'd change the color of your links if I were you. The blue text is almost impossible for me to read without leaning close to the screen.

Other than that bit, nice review. I'm definitely considering getting one of these.

LaZeRz

Yeh, using the darkshadows theme it becomes almost impossible to read...

Nice review! That's a good pen for 17 bucks!

Bobby

it came in a few minutes ago, the batteries were dead so i got new ones, i cant even pop a balloon. should i return it?

Since it is not focusable, I never attempted to burn anything with it -- it is focused for long distance (i.e., out to infinity), not for close-up (burning).

I just tried popping a black balloon with mine, and it would not, as I expect. My 200mW and 300mW green from IQS, when focused, burn nicely. This pen is not meant to burn.

With fresh alkaline batteries in it, is the beam clearly visible? Mine is easily visible in a bright room, but is not as much of a "green crayon" as the 200 or 300 ... Please look at the picture I included above -- you can see the beam, but it is not BRIGHT, but is visible -- the spot on the LPM is bright though!

If you are not satisfied, I suggest contacting the seller -- he has always responded positively to reasonable questions and requests.

Last edited:

Bobby

Quick tip (Though it may just be my monitor): I'd change the color of your links if I were you. The blue text is almost impossible for me to read without leaning close to the screen.

Other than that bit, nice review. I'm definitely considering getting one of these.

Yeh, using the darkshadows theme it becomes almost impossible to read...

Nice review! That's a good pen for 17 bucks!

Thank you both! I just lightened the blue up a little -- is it better? Do you have a recommended "bright blue"? I would not like to make things hard to read ever.

HIMNL9

IQS have some good prices ..... the bad part, is that they don't ship outside USA :p

Bobby

@bobby, thanks! i excepted a <100mw laser to atleast pop a balloon though :(

My first 2 IQS lasers - a ~80mW and a ~100mW - do not pop balloons unaided. With a jeweler's loope or the 20mm focal length objective from a telescope, they will light matches and pop balloons.

My #120 pen (tested at ~160mW) will pop balloons on fresh batteries at close range.

Mo13

Thank you both! I just lightened the blue up a little -- is it better? Do you have a recommended "bright blue"? I would not like to make things hard to read ever.

It's a lot better now. Cyan would be the best, but that can make it hard to distinguish as a link, so you'd also be fine leaving it like it is. :)

Last edited: