Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Introduction

Hi,

I'm Adam and I live in Los Angeles. I've been lurking this forum and generally consuming information about lasers for a few weeks. This forum has been a valuable resource for me, so I decided to join and introduce myself. :thanks:

I'm a hobby enthusiast in general (R/C helicopters, slope gliders, power planes, cars; woodworking; cars and driving; private pilot; guns and target shooting; and political philosophy to name a few) and I've recently taken an interest in lasers because I had to research buying an aiming laser for a rifle upgrade project I am working on. One thing led to another, and I ended up here. I now have a couple of handheld lasers on the way, the first of which should land on my doorstep tomorrow. :)

Since I plan to fiddle with some class 3B and 4 lasers, I have been doing a lot of reading on safe and responsible handling. I'm sure the following links have been posted here before, but I found the following information quite concise and straightforward as a basic reference on this topic:

Laser Pointer Safety - Different lasers' hazards compared

Safety of Class 4 visible-beam lasers

http://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png

Laser Pointer Safety - Laser hazard distance calculator

I have a couple of LED lightsabers and acquiring or building one powered by laser light is something I'm currently pursuing, so this will probably be my first laser project. I'll try not to set my cat on fire in the process.

Cheers. :beer:

Adam

Welcome to LPF Adam.

You have a healthy number of hobbies :D.
Looks like your on the right path so just keep on being safe and learning.

Enjoy your stay!

Last edited:
Welcome to LPF, Adam! There are many nice people here who’ll be happy to help and listen to your questions. Glad to hear that you’re taking laser safety so seriously. Have fun, but please always remember to be laser safe. Take Care and enjoy your stay. :D

-cd

Welcome to LPF Adam.

You have a healthy number of hobbies :D.

Enjoy your stay!

Yeah, I know, it’s a bit ridiculous. But I do them in rotation, not all at once (although there are a couple that almost never rotate out). I enjoy pursuing new interests.

BobMc

Welcome M3Piloti to the forum, nice introduction. You certainly do have a lot of hobby’s, be careful a laser addiction can get pricey. You mentioned you’ll be getting a couple of handhelds what did you decide upon?

Enjoy and be safe :wave:

Last edited:
I have a JetLasers PL-E Mini 532nm 200mw and a WL (don’t flame me :D ) 1 watt 532nm Spyder III on the way.

Welcome, Adam. This is the best place to learn about lasers if you have the desire to learn. I presume you are already familiar with the search bar. Enjoy your stay here. :D

Welcome, Adam. This is the best place to learn about lasers if you have the desire to learn. I presume you are already familiar with the search bar. Enjoy your stay here. :D

Yep, I'm a searcher. I'll try not to ask too many redundant questions. :beer:

Welcome to the forum, this place is full of great members, best forum I've ever been involved with. I've also had a few hobbies, amateur (ham) radio, flying as a private pilot, and now lasers. One of the nice things about this hobby is I don't need a hanger for an airplane or an acre of land for antennas.

Yeah I definitely hear you on the hanger. Where I live (west side of LA), renting a space in a hanger involves a long wait and $$$$$$$$$ :eek: